Any Physical Radio Scanner Groups on Long Island?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrscpu2004

Premium Subscriber
I'm new to using my Uniden BCD996XT and I think my best way to learn how to use this scanner is to join a group which might be better than me trying to decipher written instructions.
Are there any physical Long Island radio groups? Thank you.

Don57

Premium Subscriber
I'm 55 years old , lived in western Suffolk County all my life and have owned scanners since I was about 12. I have never know of a club , that would have meetings etc. I have spoken to a few hams I know that are in clubs and a couple of them said there is sometimes a little scanner talk in their ham meetings. Years ago there was a great scanner program that was done every week , I think it was on Tuesdays , that you could listen to on 146.something. It was run by a gentleman in Merrick and was very informative. If you had a ham you were able to participate on the air , if not a ham you were able to write in. They had a monthly newsletter that you were able to get if you sent in an SASE. I'm sure it's been at least 10 to 15 years since the last program. I do miss it. But besides that , I do not know of anything solely for scanner enthusiasts on Long Island. Hopefully there will be a post here to prove me wrong and if there is I would gladly join. The forums here are full of very helpful people , there is also the uniden web site forums , not as active as here but between the two I'm sure they can help you out.

jrscpu2004

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for replying. I had posted here elsewhere that I had found a You Tube video where someone actually showed step by step using a paid subscription with FreeScan, how to use the Import feature. I watched it and took notes. Then I paid for a 180 day subscription. I did this because I wasn't too sure if the Used BCD996XT was working correctly. I then just substituted my location information being here in Suffolk County, NY. Once done picking the correct Import information, I hooked up the scanner using the cable and then Uploaded the programming. It works perfectly! I still have to learn more functions, but the big part at least I've mastered. I post it might be easier for RR to have a list of
scanners with cross links to You Tube videos that are instructional. Thanks to ALL.

15plus1

.... Years ago there was a great scanner program that was done every week , I think it was on Tuesdays , that you could listen to on 146.something. ....

Was that possibly the 'Monitoring the Long Island Sounds' net ? ( Or something similar). I used to listen to a net like that in the mid nineties. It was fun to listen to, some good info learned from it.

Don57

Premium Subscriber
Was that possibly the 'Monitoring the Long Island Sounds' net ? ( Or something similar). I used to listen to a net like that in the mid nineties. It was fun to listen to, some good info learned from it.

Yes it was , it was a informative couple of hours every week. If I remember correctly it was a guy named Ed that ran it and printed up the newsletter. I always look forward to listening on Tuesday nights. I wish it was still on.

Status
Not open for further replies.