Any quality receivers from ICOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

magic_lantern

My R7000 is starting to fail and was wondering if ICOM makes a modern replacement receiver of similar performance. looking for the great audio quality and sensitivity . mostly use it for AM military.

R7000 has no frequency display when I turn it on but I can enter them and it works. maybe a onboard battery is dead? anyone know the battery type .

Thanks

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

It sounds like a problem with the Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD). If none of the segments light, it could be the -30 Volt DC-DC converter on the Display board. You could try turning the dim on and off to see if anything lights. It could be as simple as a loose connector on the display board.

The latest Icom offering is the R8600. If you are mainly interested in analog modes, an used R8500 is still a good option.

73 Eric

majoco

Stirrer
Join the Yahoo R7000 group - there's plenty of entries there about failing displays - even mine! I finally (hopefully!) fixed mine back in January and it hasn't gone wrong since. Don't condemn a great receiver for a small defect! It was just a couple of soldered joints between the driver PC board and the display which I bypassed with wire instead of a flexible printed board.

The battery only keeps the memories alive so that has nothing to do with it.

Token

The R7000 has a battery on the RAM board that retains last frequency tuned and memories. That battery is no longer made. You can mod the radio to bypass the original battery and include a modern lithium battery holder that will provide this power. I did this myself to my R7000 years ago, and have seen various web pages describing how to do it.

Unlike the R71 the R7000 only looses memories when this battery dies, the R71 dies when the RAM battery goes.

As for replacements, the R8500 will do anything the R7000 will do and do it better, but the R8600 is better yet. Of course, it ain't cheap.

T!

dkf435

If the R7000 display is dropping out chances are you need to replace the electrolytic caps on the DC-DC board. Check Ebay for kits.

I prefer the ICOM IC-R7100 as the replacement for the IC-R7000 or maybe step up to the IC-8500

David

Status
Not open for further replies.