WS1040: Any recommendations for a portable antenna with better VHF and UHF reception range than the WS1040's stock antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dratsabdeye4

The stock antenna is okay, but I'm looking for an antenna that can pick up 108-174 MHz and 406-512 MHz with better range. I use the scanner both at home and on the go so I need an antenna that's portable. Ideally it'd be $50 or less and have a BNC connector. Let me know if you need more information; I'm still pretty new to scanning. Thanks in advance.

prowisscan

Just a word of caution depending on your location. The 1040 is a very sensitive scanner which means that if you live in an urban area or close to a tower (cell, repeaters, etc.) you will get alot of noise and overload which will wipe out signals. If you are in a rural area with an outdoor antenna, the 1040 does excellent; this based on my experiences.

dratsabdeye4

Just a word of caution depending on your location. The 1040 is a very sensitive scanner which means that if you live in an urban area or close to a tower (cell, repeaters, etc.) you will get alot of noise and overload which will wipe out signals. If you are in a rural area with an outdoor antenna, the 1040 does excellent; this based on my experiences.

Thanks for the heads up.

I live in the middle of town (about 20k people), but I'm not close to any towers. Would overload likely be a concern for me?

Also, would the built-in attenuator work well against overload or do I need an external filter?

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
I would just turn on the VHF attenuator for each VHF frenquency , don't do Global.
My antenna of choice; Remtronics REM 800B 800 MHz BNC-handheld and Remtronics REM-830B 700/800 MHz Base Angle BNC.

dratsabdeye4

I would just turn on the VHF attenuator for each VHF frenquency , don't do Global.
My antenna of choice; Remtronics REM 800B 800 MHz BNC-handheld and Remtronics REM-830B 700/800 MHz Base Angle BNC.
I appreciate the advice and suggestions. I'm trying to choose between a REM 830B and a Diamond RH77CA right now lol

bob550

Premium Subscriber
To some extent, what you're asking for is the equivalent of a tool that can be used to both make pancakes and saw wood. Many of us have found that antennas that are dedicated to specific single bands such as Aircraft or VHF-HI or UHF work best. Then, your mobile reception needs in a vehicle would be different than your needs at home. So, choosing a one-size-fits-all approach will likely get you an antenna that is a compromise at best, not unlike the stock antenna. However, for a scanner that scans a wide range of frequency bands, using multiple antennas portably is impractical. If you're going to spend money, your best option may be to consider a magnetic mounted all-band scanner antenna for your vehicle, and save the stock antenna for home use. Later, as your hobby matures and you're certain scanning is for you, an outdoor antenna for your house would be a good consideration.

prowisscan

I would recommend the Diamond RH 77A for your vhf and uhf needs. Give this antenna a try and see if it meets your reception needs before going outdoors. I agree, try not to use the attenuator on the global settings, only use it on a specific frequency if needed. I've only used the attenuator on my 1040 on 800mhz analog to decrease some of the noise from a nearby cell tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.