Any repeaters able to bridge SE Pennsylvania to SW Connecticut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

royldean

A friend just got his tech and general license, but only has access to a dual band mobile radio. I was hoping there might be a chance that we can link up (I'm about 20 miles north west of Philadelphia). It's 120 miles, so I'm thinking that direct RF to a repeater midway is going to be tough (I have steerable yagis, but all he's got is a jpole). Maybe a linked repeater? Neither of us have digital capability, and I was hoping to avoid echolink if at all possible.

msingewald

Premium Subscriber
You could try the 147.060 repeater in Westchester. It has a pretty fantastic signal, but Philadelphia may be a stretch unless he has a station with some serious height.

Otherwise, the Allstar suggestion is probably best

royldean

I forgot about allstar. I'll have to look into that.

I will also try the Westchester repeater. I attempted a few repeaters in the Morristown area yesterday with no luck (mostly because there were other repeaters closer to me on the same output frequency - which is pretty telling of the reality of the situation). Thanks, all.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
What about echolink? Works for our local university net with check ins from all over the world. Does not require a digital radio.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
spend the $99 for a DMR radio. you can connect your repeaters to Brandmeister and create a cluster. its a private tg betwwen repeaters on the cluster. when people key say TG 2 both repeaters will simulcast the transmissions through the network. No cost to join Brandmeister. Only buy the radios. They are really cheap. Easy solution.

Alec
N1AJW

royldean

spend the $99 for a DMR radio. <snip> Easy solution.

No, it's not an easy solution. Like I said, we both have home and cell phones, so why not just use those? The ultimate solution would be a pure RF solution (either direct simplex or via a midpoint repeater). Until his HF radio is up and running, we are limited to what we have. I have both HF, VHF/UHF, and cell phone. He has VHF/UHF and cell phone. There is absolutely no good reason for either of us to spend money on cheap DMR radios that will get used for a few weeks at best.

What about echolink? Works for our local university net with check ins from all over the world. Does not require a digital radio.

Ecolink is also a possibility, but for some reason I decided I really didn't like it (a few years ago), and I've sworn it off (I honestly can't remember why.... might be the same as allstar, for all I know). In any case, until he gets is HF radio up and running we can always use the old fashion telephone...

k9wkj

we took Echolink off our AllStar machines
as it just did not sound good and we had to many "squatters"
we use AllStar as the full controller on several of our machines
and also have it plumbed into the Fusion machines
many of us have simplex nodes at home so we can access the entire network
from our easy chairs
you can even use your phone via IAX or dial in

WoodburyMan

There's a Brandmeister Repeater in Bristol that has a far reach into almost all parts of the state. Or you can use any of the CT-ARES repeaters (There's 30+ of them, almost full coverage for the entire state). CT ARES - Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) CT-ARES Statewide TG 8901 is linked/bridged to Brandmeisters Connecticut TG 3109. Your briend would just need to key up a local brandmeister repeater near him to TG 3109 and you can talk. DMR is cheap, sub $100 radios can be had easy. They have worldwide nets on TG 91 that are interesting to listen too as well.

The CT-ARES network is very robust, and its a good idea to have a DMR radio since there's almost full coverage in all corners of the state. I've been in a few places with no cell coverage but I have DMR coverage roaming with my Anytone AT-D878. With the statewide TG, you can talk to anyone within the state super easy.

Map attached that shows repeater locations.

Attachments

• CT-ARES_DMR_Network_Info_12July17.pdf
    891.9 KB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.