Any RISCON listeners in Providence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Hello, I am curious as to how the reception is of the NORTH, SOUTH and EAST sites from Providence. I live in Cranston close to Warwick line and METRO & EAST are difficult at times. SOUTH is VERY strong here. I assume the METRO zone is mostly intended to be received in the downtown area. I am about 7 miles from downtown and have trouble receiving METRO. But it depends on which radio/antenna I am using. This system is VERY quirky and it took me a long time to find a happy medium. Right now using my SDS200 and an 8 element yagi pointing NORTHWEST (!) I can hear all 4 sites. So if you live in Providence and listen to RISCON, how is the reception?

faojk911

Premium Subscriber
I’m in Cumberland using a Unication G5 and receive all four zones, south is sometimes on the fringe when using the pager outside it’s amplified charger; in the charger I have no issues with reception. I used to have an SDS100, and using the stock antenna I was getting north without issue, providence was fringe, south and east was almost impossible.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I’m in Cumberland using a Unication G5 and receive all four zones, south is sometimes on the fringe when using the pager outside it’s amplified charger; in the charger I have no issues with reception. I used to have an SDS100, and using the stock antenna I was getting north without issue, providence was fringe, south and east was almost impossible.
Yeah its really spotty in many locations. I know the Unications are the best for receive. I am in Cranston and sometimes even with outdoor antenna, NORTH is a problem. And there is a transmitter right near DMV way up on the hill! I am about a mile or so west of there. SOUTH site is the best here. In Warwick pretty much all zones come in loud and clear.

wa1lad

I receive all 4 zones almost equally in Warwick. No real difference between the handheld or base scanners but the APX-8000XE is by far the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.