Any space junk supposed to burn up tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Greetings everybody!

I had an interesting experience tonight on my way home from work. I was driving back roads in rural Boone / Webster counties in Iowa about 11:25PM tonight (7/31/2008). All of a sudden the road lights up in front of me, not too bright like the sun but kinda reminiscent of a helicopter searchlight, except bigger, MUCH bigger. I glanced up into the sky to the northwest and see a Bright white light with an orange contrail to one side of it. It seemed to be moving but I cant be sure. This was all in the blink of an eye and it was gone. Looked like some sort of mid-air explosion. It happened so fast I couldnt tell how far away or an approx altitude. It seemed like it was a long way away and big...

I know that the Crypt MOA is only about 20 miles away from that location but my sectional charts show that its not active that late at night. I immediatly tuned to some MilAir freqs that are usually active when they're practicing and heard nothing.

Any ideas? Kinda freaky out in the middle of nowhere iowa.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
dont touch it!!!
sounds like andromeida!! strain! satellite from the movie!
they saw an orange space object glow and plummit to earth!

nodak1crdet3

Burner 50,
Sounds like you saw a Meteor. A really good one too. They call them Earth grazers around that time of night. The Persieds meteor shower just peaked on the 12th of Aug. Back in Nov of 2001 I watched the Leonids meteor shower from the North East part of the thumb of Michigan, & saw many meteors that lit up the area around me that I could clearly see my own shadow. They also left trails behind them that would last for a short time depending how big the meteor was.
If you live away from city lights, just sit out in the yard & look up you'll probably see a few more, plus you can see satellites going by also. Just look for a star moving pretty fast going North or South.

Check out www.spaceweather.com
http://heavens-above.com
3D satellite tracker. http://science.nasa.gov/Realtime/jtrack/3d/JTrack3D.html

Chuck in Detroit / NODAK 1

Status
Not open for further replies.