Any suggestions for an indoor receive-only antenna for 2-3 MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a417

...that won't be nuked by the RFI in your residence???

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
An active loop will work, although you wouldn't have the advantages of being able to turn it around to block a signal. Or even this - substituting a YouLoop for the receiving element might work out quite well...;.

Of course, noise and overdriving the gain will be your biggest issues....Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you have some skill in making your own loop element, this could be right up your alley....

or if you're interested in some portable work using a coax loop...

If you want to keep it on the cheap side to see whether it would work for you, a MLA30 plus might be in your future, and there's a pretty active FB group working some modifications on this antenna...you can find it on fleaBay

Mike

rupe01

I have had great results with my AMLA150 active mag loop from AliExpress for around 17 bucks delivered for the kit (easy) and they say it works better than the MLA30's, although i don't own one of those. They run off a 9v battery....i use a rechargeable.

KB2GOM

I was doing some research on preselectors, when I found the following: Improving HF Reception - The RadioReference Wiki

In that, I found the following: Another way an active preselector could be used is to use it to load a very short dipole - say not more than 1 meter (roughly 3 foot) for each leg. A number of years ago, a company called Datong marketed such an antenna (with a preamp right at the antenna feedpoint) that was popular in Europe and to some lesser extent in the Americas because it's easy to hide the antenna.

I could picture using the short dipole strung across two windows -- or a large window -- in an apartment and connected to an MFJ 1020C . I haven't done this experiment, but I have tested the 1020C, and I think it might be worth a try.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Looks like the above has a gap in the 2-3 Mhz range, but the method of building this should be adjustable to cover that range. It's an interesting project

Mike

mikethedruid

It depends to some extent on whether or not you are using a single ended or a balanced input. If single ended, you can make a suitable antenna using a Slinky. Yes, the toy. Buy one which is bare metal. Here is a link to the basic method,
I have used one before, and they do work pretty well for an indoor antenna. You can make a dipole version using 2 Slinkies. solder the center conductor of your cable to one, and the braid to the other, and strech them in opposite directions. I suggest using nylon string for the support line inside the slinky since nylon is a good insulator and is resistant to moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.