Any Suggestions on a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky10278

Premium Subscriber
I am new to scanners, I listen to Radio Reference from my blackberry and I brought home one of the radios from work. (Las Vegas Monorail) but now that I am settled in, I want to put some money down on a real scanner for my home. I love listening to the one on my blackberry its a great way to really know what going on. My question is what is a good scanner to purchase for Las Vegas what should I look for ( not really worried about the price)

BCFlash

There are a lot of good scanners out there and the answer partially depends on whether or not you want to be able to monitor digital transmissions. Right now there is not much need for it as the Hoover Dam Police are the only ones you might hear. The FBI and other federal agencies also use digital systems but they are usually in scrambled mode. The new system that Metro Police are setting up will not be able to be monitored by any scanner, but it is unknown when they will switch over to it. For everything else, a radio like the Uniden BCT-15 has very good performance and can be used either base or mobile as it comes with needed accessories. You can get scanners online or locally from AES on Polaris (off Tropicana) in Las Vegas or Radio World in Boulder City. Of course Radio Shack has some as well but they don't seem to carry as many as they once did.

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that even if all the cops in your area go encrypted, there is likely to still be a LOT of other things to scan that will be very informative and entertaining.

sparky10278

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all

Thanks to all who replied to my original post its been a few months since i have been on due to work and traveling They all seem like great scanners and I will definitely be purchasing one soon for my home. Also to anyone who might be able to answer this. I have been able to get my hands on a pretty old Midland Ready Rescue III 40 Channel Emergency CB the model number is 77-912. I have been to the Midland web site but as old as the unit is they no longer carry the Manual for this type of unit. The manual that I have looks like it was left out in the rain for a few years and very hard to decipher. Now my question is does anyone have any Idea on how to work one to pick up more than a local business (which they speak Spanish and mine is very rusty) I have played around with it but I feel I am doing something wrong. That and I live close to The interstate so I would figure I should be able to pick up a local trucker or two passing through Las Vegas. Also does anyone happen to know the range on a Unit like this... Thanks to all again

sparky10278

Premium Subscriber
Thanks BCflash the Uniden BCT-15 seems like a great scanner and thank for the info on AES I will definitely be looking into this one as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.