Any SWL in the OKC area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortwavewave

Hello all

A while back I started a thread about a DXing Club or SWL club well there seems to not be one, and I wouldnt have a clue how to get one started.

Anyways Are there any SWL like me in the OKC, Midwest City, or maybe Tulsa area? I would like to join or hook up with some folks just to get some friends sharing my hobby.

Last year I was at Crossroads Mall for Field Day, Yes everyone there was nice, but I cant tell you how meny times people asked me when I was going to get my Licence, I just wanted to be friends and maybe find some one who shares the same hobby I do, and I guess if you not a ham, they dont want to have anything to do with you, they seem to think there smarter than you just because they have a Licence, I didnt feel welcome, and felt out of place. IS there something wrong with just being a SWL?

Now Im NOT Bashing on Hams because I have met very nice people, but thats the experence I had.

I just want to be friends, get together every once in a while, maybe start a club and go on "oklahoma expeditions" LOL or nearby states.

SO come on! Dont let me be the only one out there!

rockhound

My wife gave me a Grundig FR-200 a while back that I tinker with occasionally but we don't really know what we're doin'. We would certainly be interested in learning. If you put together anything let us know.

Shortwavewave

80 views and 1 reply come on guys!

rockhound, thats just it though I NEED support and people to get it up and running.

and wouldnt mind teaching you at all, thats one of the things it would be for

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's a rather famous DXer who is in the Tulsa area, I understand <chuckle>

Anyway, if you are serious about learning what others are hearing, join NASWA. The link is in our SWL wiki. They put out a very detailed bulletin monthly with lots of tips, schedules, logs and the occasional tech article or two. They also have a Yahoo group, and you can subscribe to a email bulletin that comes out weekly with tips reserved just for NASWA members.

I have a few of the email bulletins on a seperate drive - if you're interested in seeing what the bulletin contains, give me a shout at ka3jjz@netscape.com and I can send you a copy

There's quite literally a plethoria of links in our wiki on most of the subjects you will need to grasp (no I didn't say you need a PhD on each topic!). HF Antennas, Propagation, Receiver reviews...they're all there. Some technical, some not so technical.

73 Mike

Last edited:

MoparManor

Premium Subscriber
80 views and 1 reply come on guys!

rockhound, thats just it though I NEED support and people to get it up and running.

and wouldnt mind teaching you at all, thats one of the things it would be for

You might take into consideration that some like me read every thread and only reply when it is appropriate. I learned a LONG time ago that I learn a LOT more by engaging my eyes and ears and not my mouth.
I haven't really listened to shortwave for about 30 years, but that doesn't mean that I am not interested and will at some point test and get my license.
It should be comforting to know that people are reading your thread.

w5cyc

I enjoy a good shortwave listen now and again on my Eton E-1. So I'll help where I can. But if your experience with hams is that they don't want you around if you don't have a license, you're hanging around the wrong hams.

That said, a license IS pretty easy to get these days.....

Status
Not open for further replies.