Any thoughts about better reception in a high-RFI rental environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a29zuk

Never seen one of these before. Do they actually work?

Yes, it works good.

It will only eliminate one single noise source at a time. I used it to eliminate the most annoying noise.

You have to install a second antenna to phase the noise out. I have good luck with the two antenna feed points close together and the two wires 90 degrees from each other. The noise antenna parallel with the house and the main antenna perpendicular to my house. You may need to experiment with the noise antenna to receive a good signal from the noise source. It may only need to be a 10' wire depending on how local the noise source is.

The Timewave ANC-4 is a similar noise eliminator you may want to consider. MFJ's quality control isn't so great so you may get a bum unit. I got lucky and have one with no problems.

I use the DX Engineering NCC-2 now but it is much more expensive.

Jim

WB9YBM

I thought the FCC didn't allow people to use devices that interfere with area radio/TV's, ETC?

If memory serves, when RF radiating devices like LED bulbs were first introduced the FCC needed to do some testing/certifying (not just with LED bulbs but anything radiating RF) before it can be sold. I think they're referred to as "incidental radiators". I'm not sure how much radiation is allowed out of a device before the FCC will get involved, though.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

It needs a few mods to work on MW from what I understand......Mike

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I have AC line noise that destroys my railband (160MHz) reception when the humidity is low. The offending pole is completely rotten out at the top and the insulators look like they have been there the whole time, still can't get the power company to replace it.

WB9YBM

I still can't get the power company to replace it.

Same thing happened to me. Fortunately the offending transformer eventually blew up & caught fire. Problem solved once the power company got it replaced. (They could've saved themselves a bit of panic if they would've listened to me in the first place :))

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I thought the FCC didn't allow people to use devices that interfere with area radio/TV's, ETC?

I assume you are kidding. The FCC never effectively has done this. Anyway, how would they regulate eBay purchase from Chinea.

KB2GOM

Some years ago, an intermittent, but regular, broadband noise popped up in our neighborhood that basically wiped out radio for me and my neighbor, also a ham. Every 15 seconds or so it would pop up for a while and then go away after an interval.

We went on a noise hunt using his portable SW radio, finally identifying the source as a faulty doorbell transformer at a home owned by the proverbial "little old lady." My neighbor replaced the transformer, and the noise went away. I wrote about it in QST magazine: "The strange case of the clockwork noise."

The point is: make nice with your neighbors, tell them about your problem, maybe even let them hear the problem, and they just might cooperate in helping you solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.