Any Tips on Pro 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinman0877

I am going to get the pro 96 in 2 days any tips u guys can give me. Anything i should do or not do. Because I don't want to mess it up some how. It's pretty expensive hand held scanner. Already got the 800 mhz antenna. Plus what program should i use the Win 96 or ARC 96. Thanks

jambo

I am going to get the pro 96 in 2 days any tips u guys can give me. Anything i should do or not do. Because I don't want to mess it up some how. It's pretty expensive hand held scanner. Already got the 800 mhz antenna. Plus what program should i use the Win 96 or ARC 96. Thanks

Get the Win96 and the USB Scanner Programming Cable (Model: 20-047) and you'll be set.

Last edited:

Nasby

Get a good case to protect that expensive toy! The display and case scratch up pretty easily.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Get a good case to protect that expensive toy! The display and case scratch up pretty easily.

Even if you don't get a case, buy some of the PDA screen protector film and cut a piece down to size for the display. I haven't scratched a display since I started using it.

Just as an aside, I also have put the film on my digital camera display as well. Anything you don't want scratched up easily this is handy.

Don't buy it if you're going to TRY to decode a P25 multicast system - it doesn't work well at all. Shortwave radio is more reliable than this unit in my experiences with TWO Pro96's on a new digital P25 multicast/simulcast system (same groups on all 12 towers at the same time).

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
Its a great unit,easy to use and has above average digital voice. It doesnt have alot of bells and whistles as the psr line of receivers but its sturdy and will perform well for you.

Slyster

I LOVE my pro-96... I glued on wood on each side to keep it steady from falls etc... and got the great antenna.. I forget the name off hand... but see my avatar! (I live in MN where I can't have it in a car anyway)..

And about this... "Don't buy it if you're going to TRY to decode a P25 multicast system - it doesn't work well at all. Shortwave radio is more reliable than this unit in my experiences with TWO Pro96's on a new digital P25 multicast/simulcast system (same groups on all 12 towers at the same time)." I have NO idea what they are talking about. Decoding a project 25 system with a shortwave radio WTF? Don't listen to him. That's why we need digital scanners to decode P25 data.. shortwave radios can't do that.

Last edited:

hoser147

I agree get your cable 20-047 and Win 96 and you will be up and running in no time. If you are going to use it mostly in house, you may want to use an external speaker, it sounds so much better............Hoser

steveh552

Oh, and if using at home, get the A/C adaptor. When I got mine, I had no idea that it only had the battary holders and no way to power it otherwise included.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Advice

Slyster if you drive responsibly you should have no problem listening in your car.

This should be rephrased- if you never, ever get pulled over or have any other reason for LE to contact you then won't have a problem.

Scanners are legal in cars in Colorado.

Other states , possibly Minn where the OP lives, might prohibit them entirely. Or will grant exemption if you have a ham license.

Best to know the laws in your jurisdiction. Would be a shame to have to surrender a $500 scanner to Officer Unfriendly. (at best)

Status
Not open for further replies.