Any updates on Paul (Upman)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
According to his blog the prognosis doesn't look encouraging.
I don't know if I would say that at all. It's all relative, in addition to being a newspaperman I'm also a medical-surgical registered nurse for 40+ years. I have kept up with the blog and know exactly what was done to deal with the issues. Paul's Blog has been very candid and descriptive. I don't think anyone really knows how they would deal with life-altering challenges, until they are actually in their face, then people do what they have to do.

There have been some complications and it's been a long slow haul with a few more surgeries than anticipated and longer hospitalization than expected, it's all in the blog.

With everything that's happened and considering the initial etiology or origin of the problem, along with the necessary intervention, this just takes a long recovery. The blog to me indicated good progress with building strength and gaining weight secondary to not being able to always eat properly and maintain strength and weight. Sounds like that's coming back pretty good.

Again this is all in the blog but the life-altering changes and adaptations just take time. There is also a lot that needs to properly heal, permanently.

There was a reference in the blog to an ER visit where some tests were done that showed some issues dealing with the initial etiology... One step at a time.

I have found Paul's blog to be intriguing and demonstrates a tremendous amount of Courage and inspiration, everyone wishes you well Paul. Things will just get better from here.

lu81fitter

I have followed his blog as well. I know we all wish him well! He is a great person and a true asset to Uniden and the radio community here. To Paul ---> Beat this crap and get on to doing what you do best! There are lots of prayers and well wishes for you here! Thank you for all you have done.

Joe_Blough

I don't know if I would say that at all. It's all relative, in addition to being a newspaperman I'm also a medical-surgical registered nurse for 40+ years. I have kept up with the blog and know exactly what was done to deal with the issues. Paul's Blog has been very candid and descriptive. I don't think anyone really knows how they would deal with life-altering challenges, until they are actually in their face, then people do what they have to do.

There have been some complications and it's been a long slow haul with a few more surgeries than anticipated and longer hospitalization than expected, it's all in the blog.

With everything that's happened and considering the initial etiology or origin of the problem, along with the necessary intervention, this just takes a long recovery. The blog to me indicated good progress with building strength and gaining weight secondary to not being able to always eat properly and maintain strength and weight. Sounds like that's coming back pretty good.

Apparently you didn't read his latest blog entry. Some tumors in his lungs got bigger which was expected but they also found small tumors in his liver which wasn't expected. He is going to begin chemo.

As a registered nurse you should know better. Billions and billions of dollars have been thrown at breast cancer research alone yet we are no closer to a cure than we were 50 years ago. The cut, burn, and poison cancer treatments are a trillion dollar industry (a million seconds is 11 days, a billion seconds is 30 years, a trillion seconds is 30,000 years to put it in perspective). More people make a living off cancer than die from it. There will never be a cure for that gravy train. To top it off you should know that one of the side effects of chemo is cancer.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I was responding to the Post about going to the emergency room. I was referring to the new findings. You didn't quote my entire post.

Yes as a registered nurse for near 45 years I do completely understand the situation and I can assure you... So does Paul. As he said even though these new findings are there... the protocol for his chemotherapy will go on unchanged. I said one step at a time.

I should tell you that I am restraining myself and not saying what I think about your post.

Because of the countless patients I've treated there is a certain way caregivers like myself think and when faced with life-altering illnesses there is a way patients think.

It is my wish and hope that Pauls aggressive treatment plan gets optimal results.

I look forward to hearing that swelling is going down to the point that the speaking device will work better and other methods of communication verbally are progressing. I can only imagine how tough that is.

I want to say again Paul I am very inspired by the tremendous amount of Courage you have demonstrated in your blog. I hope you're healing in all the right places.

The last entry I saw was July 31st so I look forward to seeing your next.

brettbolt

I have read the entire blog and find Paul's courage quite amazing considering what he has been through, and what he faces.

My wife survived breast cancer in 2017. She had surgery, chemo, and radiation.

The cost of the chemo treatments was astronomical. I am surprised that they get away with charging so much -- several thousand dollars per chemo treatment.

Ubbe

There will never be a cure for that gravy train.
I think they pretty much have given up research for a cure to cancer and instead have change approach like they have with HIV victims that cannot be cured. They receive successful treatment so that they keep the disease at bay and at let the victim live a more or less normal life.

"The ICR wants to refocus its work, aiming not just to kill cancer cells but to destroy their ability to evolve. The aim is to take the lethality out of cancer and turn it into a disease that – if a cure is not possible – will no longer shorten or ruin lives, in the same way that HIV is controlled for millions of people on antiretroviral drugs. "

/Ubbe

Joe_Blough

I think they pretty much have given up research for a cure to cancer and instead have change approach like they have with HIV victims that cannot be cured. They receive successful treatment so that they keep the disease at bay and at let the victim live a more or less normal life.

"The ICR wants to refocus its work, aiming not just to kill cancer cells but to destroy their ability to evolve. The aim is to take the lethality out of cancer and turn it into a disease that – if a cure is not possible – will no longer shorten or ruin lives, in the same way that HIV is controlled for millions of people on antiretroviral drugs. "

/Ubbe

Actually they keep researching it to get the grant money, which will dry up if a cure is found and put people out of work. They don't want to find a cure. As I said the phony cut, burn, and poison cancer treatments are a trillion dollar industry that usually make you die a horrible death so that the medical establishment can make a profit. If they can cure you for $10,000 or kill you for $200,000 they are going to kill you. I wouldn't give a dime to cancer research.

Go-West

Premium Subscriber
Since last year I've spent a about three to four weeks of so-called year time frame of heart related issues that I haven't really done anything to them. Its a sad situation for Paul's situation that he's dealing with now and I agree with zero help with what they are doing.

wbswetnam

I'm not a medical doctor, nor do I have any background in medicine... that said, from what I have read about cancer, it is a very complex disease with many varieties (bone cancer, brain cancer, breast cancer, leukemia, etc.). My father is currently dealing with a recurrence of non-Hodgkins lymphoma. He had it the first time in 2006 - 2007, for which he received chemotherapy. It has since returned this year. Each case is unique and requires highly trained medical personnel to identify and prescribe (hopefully) effective courses of treatment. There is no "miracle cure" for such a complex and intractable illness as cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.