Any updates on Paul (Upman)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thousands of medical miracles occur everyday in our country, just ask the survivors! I'm one of them! (y)
I am too. You would be amazed at the progress that has been made despite what some or should I say one AH has said here.

Paul... As I read your blog all along and realized the sincerity and candidness of your thoughts... it has always been my way of thinking, It will take time but you will be okay.

You are a bull... it isn't always the illness that takes you down, it is your response and reaction to the illness that takes you, luckily for you, that's not a factor.

I know you're busy with your appointments and you are working hard on your sleep patterns but... As soon as you can... post how you're doing... followers want to know.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Thousands of medical miracles occur everyday in our country, just ask the survivors! I'm one of them! (y)
I am too. You would be amazed at the progress that has been made despite what some or should I say one AH has said here.

Paul... As I read your blog all along and realized the sincerity and candidness of your thoughts... it has always been my way of thinking, It will take time but you will be okay.

You are a bull... it isn't always the illness that takes you down, it is your response and reaction to the illness that takes you, luckily for you, that's not a factor.

I know you're busy with your appointments and you are working hard on your sleep patterns but... As soon as you can... post how you're doing... followers want to know.

Proud of you guys.

So is my mother she beat Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Pre-B cell childrens disease went through eight total rounds of chemotherapy part a and part b. My father beat Melanoma and my sister beat Uterine cancer.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber

I'm a survivor of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and am currently battling Prostate Cancer via hormone therapy and radiation. So count me as I a huge fan of the research scientists and medical teams who created the chemotherapy, and immunotherapy drugs that halted my lymphoma. And a special thanks to the brilliant people who invented Image-Guided, Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy. This radiation therapy technique targets my Prostate using advanced computer programs to calculate and deliver radiation directly to cancer cells from different angles. The most amazing thing - it kills the cancer without the traditional side effects of radiation burns.

For those of us on the receiving end of cancer treatments, you quickly learn that the people who work in this field are some of the finest human beings on the planet. They aren't there for the glory, they are there to help you through difficult medical issues. I thank God every day for the research scientists, oncology docs, nurses, radiation therapists, technicians, and all of the medical professionals who have made my life better.

UpMan - you are in my prayers. I think of you often and hope you stay strong.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Maybe in Europe, but not in the US. There is ongoing research into both palliative care and treatment aimed at remission. There has been a number of breakthroughs in both areas lately.

I think they pretty much have given up research for a cure to cancer and instead have change approach like they have with HIV victims that cannot be cured. They receive successful treatment so that they keep the disease at bay and at let the victim live a more or less normal life.

"The ICR wants to refocus its work, aiming not just to kill cancer cells but to destroy their ability to evolve. The aim is to take the lethality out of cancer and turn it into a disease that – if a cure is not possible – will no longer shorten or ruin lives, in the same way that HIV is controlled for millions of people on antiretroviral drugs. "

/Ubbe

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber

Good for you! Me too! After a round of concurrent chemo and radiation, two major surgeries, too numerous to count minor procedures, and a second round of chemo... coming up on 10 years cancer free!

And, having worked in the pharmaceutical research division of a major pharma company for many years, I can tell ya first hand the excruciating process of bringing a new therapy to market. There is no cancer conspiracy where I come from.

Paul... hang tough... you'll pull through!

garys

Premium Subscriber
Not to mention the money spent on medications that don't get to market for a variety of reasons.

And, having worked in the pharmaceutical research division of a major pharma company for many years, I can tell ya first hand the excruciating process of bringing a new therapy to market. There is no cancer conspiracy where I come from.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the updated Post in your blog Paul.

It'll be a long day today but I imagine you're able to read a handheld device during the infusion. It's good that the weekend sessions are shorter.

That's good to have a 2 week period off after this three-day series. My best wishes that you have a minimal amount of side effects and this three-drug infusion does its job as intended.

I would think that it's going to take a long time, but the shoulder gets better after exertion. The body is an amazing thing, that nerve may regenerate and the muscles will adapt even though now it's the wrong muscles doing the job.

On one hand it's not good to overexert but on the other that's probably what's going to force the remaining muscles to adapt.

I hope you have a good series this weekend and everything goes as expected.

There's a lot of people pulling for you and it's good to see your blog entry.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Thanks for the updated Post in your blog Paul.

It'll be a long day today but I imagine you're able to read a handheld device during the infusion. It's good that the weekend sessions are shorter.

That's good to have a 2 week period off after this three-day series. My best wishes that you have a minimal amount of side effects and this three-drug infusion does its job as intended.

I would think that it's going to take a long time, but the shoulder gets better after exertion. The body is an amazing thing, that nerve may regenerate and the muscles will adapt even though now it's the wrong muscles doing the job.

On one hand it's not good to overexert but on the other that's probably what's going to force the remaining muscles to adapt.

I hope you have a good series this weekend and everything goes as expected.

There's a lot of people pulling for you and it's good to see your blog entry.

+1 Good luck Paul as well.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
There was an update this week on Paul's blog... he had the three days of chemo last weekend.

I agree Paul that your almost immediate reaction of fatigue means that it's doing its job. The increase in swelling very well might be a reaction to the treatments.

Yeah, you probably don't want to remove the feeding tube yourself by deflating the balloon and pulling it out LOL, I can see the doctors frowning on that. If sores in the mouth are that much of a side effect and the tube is still functioning and patent they could want to leave it in, you never know.

So being The Optimist I am I'm hoping that your body adjusts to this introduction of chemo and it adapts so that you aren't so fatigued, good news about the lack of nausea.

Even though you don't have an appetite, push all those high calorie foods you are able to eat that the rest of us can't.

Thanks for the update, keep fighting, we all look for your eventual recovery and being able to return full time.

Looking for your next blog entry and hearing that you are feeling better and adjusting to the chemo.

if it is making you feel this way just think what it's doing to the tumors!

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Paul made another post today in his blog everybody.

An emergency room visit for back pain, a kidney stone flare up, One thing at a time huh Paul.

I guess they want you to keep checking your temperature. At least this flare-up happened during that 3 week period between treatments.

It's interesting that the fatigue from the chemo has resolved your chronic sleeping problems.

It's amazing that you push on and do your work, going into the office.

Looks like you have a busy weekend but I hope you get to see people's comments and well wishes when you check all of your correspondence.

Enjoy your family visit and your chores this weekend.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
God bless him, and I am very impressed with his strength and determination, and hope to see updates that he is making progress to a healthy comeback in all aspects of his livelihood.

I am, however, concerned that Uniden scanners have had zero updates, zero bug fixes, not even acknowledgements to issues, since he has taken ill.

That concerns me, because it makes me wonder, if something were to unfortunately happen to Paul, would that mean the end of support for our investments? Based on recent activity, it is looking that way.

This is in no way aimed at Paul, he is doing just what he is supposed to do, -concentrate on his health and getting better, not worrying with this.

But does Uniden have a contingency plan in place, or is he it?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Eh... I don't see it that way, right now it's about priorities.

Paul has had major reconstructive surgery and now is undergoing chemotherapy, it appears though he is working as tolerated.

I don't think they need a contingency plan... this is just a long slow recovery but I'm sure the plan is that Paul is going to recover to be the best he can be, it takes time to heal, lots of time but... Things will normalize as much as possible and things will get back on track.

That's how I look at it anyway. (y)

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I agree with you that, yes, his priorities are just that, concentrating on getting his health back up to par, I stated that above. I'm not heartless and self-centered.

But it seems as though Uniden only has one person (Paul) that can, is able, or is authorized to perform updates and/or address concerns. Tax day update was a while back. That is a legitimate point of interest to us (Uniden's customers)

If, God forbid, he isn't able to return to doing this, then what?

I absolutely don't expect Paul to do anything but address his health and well being, and try to be as comfortable as possible, as he recovers. My interest is with Uniden. Paul will be hard, if not impossible, to replace, if he decides to retire. Thus my question of some sort of a "Contingency plan" if he does have to bail, or do we get what we have been getting (or lack thereof) since April.

I think that's reasonable and valid to muse this out loud, from a consumer point of view. It should be obvious I have no disrespect intended to him, nor Uniden.

I think that's reasonable and valid to muse this out loud, from a consumer point of view
I direct you to the title and subject of the thread;
Any updates on Paul (Upman)?

Not, "Who will help me with my scanner"? Stop being self-centered.

Start another thread to air your selfish concerns.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I agree with you that, yes, his priorities are just that, concentrating on getting his health back up to par, I stated that above. I'm not heartless and self-centered.

But it seems as though Uniden only has one person (Paul) that can, is able, or is authorized to perform updates and/or address concerns. Tax day update was a while back. That is a legitimate point of interest to us (Uniden's customers)

If, God forbid, he isn't able to return to doing this, then what?

I absolutely don't expect Paul to do anything but address his health and well being, and try to be as comfortable as possible, as he recovers. My interest is with Uniden. Paul will be hard, if not impossible, to replace, if he decides to retire. Thus my question of some sort of a "Contingency plan" if he does have to bail, or do we get what we have been getting (or lack thereof) since April.

I think that's reasonable and valid to muse this out loud, from a consumer point of view. It should be obvious I have no disrespect intended to him, nor Uniden.
I think there's also a pretty talented team of techs working on stuff too.

This is OT for this thread but I bet you that Uniden is working on a update right now... Paul has mentioned in his blog that he is going into the office and working on something now.

He's one tough cookie and I think he wants to get back into things as soon as he can.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I sure hope you're right!

More than half of my posting was in consideration of his health, and his improvements, and well wishes. To imply I am selfish for asking about his position with Uniden, which is the primary reason his presence is so prominent here, is plain disrespectful.

I just voiced a concern. And I don't see it O/T at all, an "update on Paul" is wanted for many reasons.

Regardless, I am not going to trash the thread, nor be disrespectful, no need in that. I am thankful I am not going through what he is going through.

God bless you all. We are all on this forum together, because we have a common interest. And these interest may vary, but they are all aimed the same direction.

BruceMN

I have worked in a radiation oncology department treating cancer for almost 35 years. There is simply NO conspiracy regarding a cure for cancer. Each type of cancer is unique in its treatment and can be quite complex. I have been involved in many research protocols for treating cancer some more successful than others but that is the point to find the best way to treat a particular cancer. The cost of health care in the US is astronomical for many reasons, partly because of the government and the regulations. I've had many family members die from cancer, if I thought there was a cancer cure cover up or if the hundreds of thousands of health care workers thought this there would be a revolt!

JeffAdams

Cancer care cover up is a silly notion - while there are many forms/types of cancer, those companies that *do* find cures (or even just long-term maintenance of some sort) will make truck loads of money.

Paul or anyone else, I signed up with the company that hosts Paul's blog so I can at least click "like" for each post, but when I try to comment, I get errors when I click "post" - specifically,

"Error: You have entered an incorrect reCAPTCHA value.
Click the BACK button on your browser and try again."

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

JeffAdams

Cancer care cover up is a silly notion - while there are many forms/types of cancer, those companies that *do* find cures (or even just long-term maintenance of some sort) will make truck loads of money.

Paul or anyone else, I signed up with the company that hosts Paul's blog so I can at least click "like" for each post, but when I try to comment, I get errors when I click "post" - specifically,

"Error: You have entered an incorrect reCAPTCHA value.
Click the BACK button on your browser and try again."

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

p.s. There is no reCAPTCHA box anywhere on the page that I can see, let alone a value to enter....

Status
Not open for further replies.