Any updates on UASD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
I was curious to know if there were any updates to UASD? I have a big investment in time and money in the program, and I was hoping that there'd be some word about it? I am currently using UASD for my 246, 330, 396T and 996T radios.

I realize I'm a little late to the game, but I now understand why folks are jumping on the FreeScan bandwagon. I'm in an area with little 800MHz trunking. Most of the stuff I listen to is conventional or non-800 MHz trunking.

Now that I'm becoming more interested/aware in the rebanded systems, I am concerned about losing my investment in UASD. I guess I'm giving it one more chance before I jump ship over to FreeScan.

Thanks...

tvande

Not sure what you mean about "losing your investment" but if you have systems in UASD, then they can always be loaded into the scanner and downloaded into YOUR NEW FAVORITE PROGRAM (tm) if you need to switch and UASD does NOT come out with a new version some time in the future (near or far <g>).

Tom

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I was curious to know if there were any updates to UASD? I have a big investment in time and money in the program, and I was hoping that there'd be some word about it? I am currently using UASD for my 246, 330, 396T and 996T radios.

I realize I'm a little late to the game, but I now understand why folks are jumping on the FreeScan bandwagon.

I wouldn't hold your breath. I am as disappointed as you that UASD seems dead for the XT scanners, especially because it's so incredibly easy to make quick changes to their ASCII database files without having to fire up a program and plod through it. Apparently if you can't do it with a mouse, then it should not be done. Or sumpin.

I have reluctantly moved over to FreeScan, and I have to admit it is pretty nice. Although it can be clunky when performing certain operations. At least it allows you to configure a bandplan for rebanded systems that need it. UASD could not do that and I don't see Uniden putting money into to developing it further when there are so many alternatives out there now. When the 996 and 396 first came out there was no software out there, so Uniden was forced to write something to get people booted up.

Now, if FreeScan were to store its files in editable ASCII it would be GREAT!!

sffire

Premium Subscriber
I still use UASD. I miss the website that had the UASD database. This program works well with my BC246T. Hopefully Uniden comes out with a new version.

rbm

I too would like to see Uniden get around to releasing an updated UASD version for the newer scanners.

I use Freescan and I liked it enough to make a donation to support it. It's a great program.
It works well for someone who only has one scanner to program. Or more than one that are programmed the same or similar.

I currently have 14 Uniden scanners. (and more to come)
For a number of reasons, they are not all programmed the same so the config. files are different.

I have hundreds of system files.
The BCT15's, BDC396T's, and BCD996T's can all share the same system files. So I just have a configuration file for each radio.

Any changes to a system need to be made in only one place.

Some system files exist in all of my configurations. (ie. Conventional Tactical frequencies.)
Using UASD, I just make any changes in the system file and then reprogram all of the affected scanners.

Currently, with FreeScan and others, I would have to change a large number of programming files.

I use FreeScan for my 'X' model scanners.
However, FreeScan has problems importing .usd files.
So I can't just delete a system from all of my FreeScan program files and then re-import the updated usd file
When those import problems are resolved with FreeScan, it will pretty much do what I need. It will be a little more labor intensive on my part than UASD but far more workable.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Put out a message to Assaf detailing the .usd import file errors. He tends to accum a bunch of problems and fix them in a release all at once. Sensible, given the probability of how complex the code is likely to be.

He may need examples so he can replicate the issues. Be prepared for this.

73 Mike

rbm

Put out a message to Assaf detailing the .usd import file errors. He tends to accum a bunch of problems and fix them in a release all at once. Sensible, given the probability of how complex the code is likely to be.

He may need examples so he can replicate the issues. Be prepared for this.

73 Mike

Thanks for the suggestion.
I've already done that and he's been working his way through it over the last few releases.
Rich

rbm

I'm not aware of any current import issues but there were some that were fixed with .9J.

The last problem I was having was "Critical error, cannot continue. Error code 9" while importing usd files.

So I went back to Version 9H

I hadn't seen any mention that it was corrected. I'll give it another try.

Rich

Edit: The "Critical error" problem is fixed in '9J' but the "Analog/Digital/All" problem is still there.
I'll start a new thread on the FreeScan forum with sample files.

Last edited:

rbm

After thinking about it, I thought it would be better to post the details of the usd import problem here so I can do the graphics.

Here's a sample BCD996T usd file.
It has one each of Analog, All, and Digital.

SystemCT,CNV,Test1,.,2,UNLOCKED,OFF,2,OFF,0,0,AUTO,8,None,OFF,,OFF
CGroup,Test,.,UNLOCKED
Channel,Analog,01548750,,AUTO,C1035,OFF,UNLOCKED,OFF,OFF,OFF,AUTO,OFF,ANALOG
Channel,All,01548750,,AUTO,NONE,OFF,UNLOCKED,OFF,OFF,OFF,AUTO,OFF,ALL
Channel,P25,01548750,,AUTO,NONE,OFF,UNLOCKED,OFF,OFF,OFF,AUTO,OFF,DIGITAL
Point,OFF,,00000000N,000000000E,1000

This is what the BCD996T UASD sees vs. what FreeScan sees.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To fix this, change the 'audio type' using the pulldown, although I agree this should be handled by the import. Simple enough workaround

73 Mike

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Lost the content of the message with the B52H Buff name. lol Man, that brings back some days in SAC in the Great White NORTH...Working on SRAM, ALCM and ACM missile systems when it was SAC and BUFF were NUC aircraft....

KC9LVX

rbm

To fix this, change the 'audio type' using the pulldown, although I agree this should be handled by the import. Simple enough workaround

73 Mike

Yes, just for that one simple test case, it would be a simple enough workaround.

However, when I import files for my 'X' series scanners in 'real life' it becomes completely unmanageable.

As seen in the screen capture below from one of my BC396XT's there are almost 11,000 'channels', of which around 4,000 are conventional. When FreeScan imports any conventional channel as ALL, then each frequency becomes CSQ. That is NOT a good thing!

Hunting down and changing that many channels is something left for people who have more time and fewer scanners than I have. ;-)

I was able to block change almost 2,000 channels in a short period of time because they were in systems where every single channel had to be changed. That still leaves many hundreds of channels I'd have to hunt for and change individually.

Just that one problem alone has prevented me from buying any more 'X' series scanners and I don't suspect at this point that Uniden will update UASD.

Last edited:

cpuerror

I'll take a look at this for the next version. There are some format variations with the .usd file format, and fixing something with one format can affect the way another is handled.

XTS3000

If there were no FreeScan, I would NOT have even purchased the XT scanner. Uniden owes many sales to the fact that Freescan is free and works almost perfectly.

Uniden, WHATS THE HOLDUP ON THE USAD?? It was promised. All the sales litature references USAD software programming, and over a year later, nothing....

rbm

I'll take a look at this for the next version. There are some format variations with the .usd file format, and fixing something with one format can affect the way another is handled.

Thanks Assaf.

Edit: I assume you already have files in the various format but here is the same file as the BCD996T file above, formatted for the BCT15 and BCD396T.
The BCD396T UASD doesn't use the keywords and throws away any that are in the usd file.

For import purposes:
IF 'Search', DCS, or CTCSS, audio type is Analog
IF channel keyword is DIGITAL, audio type is digital (UASD doesn't know about NAC)
Otherwise audio type is ALL

BCT15

SystemCT,CNV,Test1,.,2,UNLOCKED,OFF,2,OFF,0,0,AUTO,8,None,OFF,Test1,OFF
CGroup,Test,.,UNLOCKED
Channel,Analog,01548750,,AUTO,C1035,OFF,UNLOCKED,OFF,OFF,OFF,AUTO,OFF,ALL
Channel,All,01548750,,AUTO,NONE,OFF,UNLOCKED,OFF,OFF,OFF,AUTO,OFF,ALL
Channel,P25,01548750,,AUTO,NONE,OFF,UNLOCKED,OFF,OFF,OFF,AUTO,OFF,ALL
Point,OFF,,00000000N,000000000E,1000

BCD396T

// BCD396T UASD Ver. 1.4.1.1 4/17/2010 7:41:04 PM
SystemCT,CNV,Test1,.,2,UNLOCKED,OFF,2,OFF,0,0,AUTO,8
CGroup,Test,.,UNLOCKED
Channel,Analog,01548750,,AUTO,C1035,OFF,UNLOCKED,OFF,OFF,OFF,AUTO
Channel,All,01548750,,AUTO,NONE,OFF,UNLOCKED,OFF,OFF,OFF,AUTO
Channel,P25,01548750,,AUTO,NONE,OFF,UNLOCKED,OFF,OFF,OFF,AUTO

Last edited:

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
If there were no FreeScan, I would NOT have even purchased the XT scanner. Uniden owes many sales to the fact that Freescan is free and works almost perfectly.

I hate to pile on, and I hope my posting history shows that I'm a pretty reasonable person... But part of the reason I haven't bought a new radio is the lack of support for UASD and UASD upgrades for previous radios.

I will say that I am very grateful for the free updates to the 246, 330, 396T and 996T radios. Thank you for the rebanding support and for the digital audio improvements.

...but none of the free radio improvements have seen any support in UASD.

And I'll say that I don't expect free support for the life of the products, but I would expect to pay a reasonable price for legacy support on the T series and earlier radios. And I would expect that the premier/flagship radios should have programming support.

wise871

Database Admin
WOW, the XT's have almost been out for a year and still no word on the UASD software that was mentioned. Speaking of software, what ever happened to the payware upgrades for the older scanners like the 996T/396T. Uniden sure has been quite when it comes to software/firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.