Any use for ICOM 66-88 MHz radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

baltimorecs

I have found a few handheld radios in a pelican case that was shipped back at the end of an overseas contract. They are a mix of ICOM and Chinese made radios covering 66-88 MHz. There are also a number of different antennas for them (long antennas). I don't see a use for them with our commercial radios and don't see an FCC ID on them anyway. So I was wondering if they might have any application in the HAM bands here in the US or are they basically useless here?

Searching the FCC spectrum I mostly see broadcasting in that range.

prcguy

With luck US amateurs will have access to the 4m band but it would be 5+ yrs away if it happens. I have a bunch of 66-88MHz radios and even a Motorola Saber and repeater that have set useless for many years. I had some of it on Ebay a few years ago with no bites at all.
prcguy

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
There is a rarely used band in the US in the 72-76Mhz range which is used for fixed point to point operations. The California Highway Patrol has a few links in that range that are still operating.

kermit_t_f

As mentioned before, here in Europe are some countries, that have a 4 meter ham radio band. In Germany, it's just a few weeks old, but it's only 30 KHz old and so the use of FM Radios is quite limited. On the other side, there are not many radios in this band that do SSB...
In some countries, the public service and security uses 4m for their analog networks, but these days are nearly gone as most of them use digital networks today.
If you want to sell some of those, maybe I've got a use for them ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.