Any Users Of The AirNav Radar Box Flight Stick VHF USB Dongle Receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Just thinking of getting started with monitoring aero voice comms.
Saw this Dongle on Amazon; AirNav RadarBox FlightStick VHF - Airband USB Receiver with Integrated Filter, Amplifier and ESD Protection

Would like to ask, please for anyone actually using it:

a. How does one tune it ? e.g., is there software included for a W10 pc that enables
tuning ? Their site is very confusing to me; that old-age problem.

Can it be used as an individual stand alone "tuner," or must it be connected
to one of their Servers to be usable ?

b. It will be LOS I imagine, but can one use their Servers free for
world-wide coverage, or must there be a paid subscription to do so ?

Any thoughts for a newbie like me on using this Dongle would be
most appreciated. Not sure what else to ask.

Thanks, appreciate the help,
Bob

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I can't speak for that one, but I bought the 978 version and it died after 2 months. When it was working I found that it ran very hot compared to all the other sticks I own (flightaware, rtl-sdr & NESDR). I would suggest the flight aware sticks instead if you are going to be using it for ADS-B.

ATCTech

He's referring to their VHF AM airband stick, not ADS-B. Tuning would be controlled by computer software, yes, for example SDR# if you're a Windows user. AirNav may have their own software too, but I didn't read that far into their site. If you want air band only that's fine, but a high quality wide band tuner stick from the likes of NooElec will give you almost "DC to daylight" coverage (well, 30MHz to near 1 GHz), or if you want to go top-shelf there are even more choices for 4 or 5x the money of a NooElec version.

Last edited:

ATCTech

Glad to help a bit. I did neglect to clarify your question about connections. These are radio receiver devices so an antenna is a mandatory addition. How and where you chose to install an antenna (externally being the best choice of course) and at what cost you chose to invest in reception performance is completely up to you as there is no network connection required to enjoy listening locally.

Cheers!

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Anyone running this off a pi3b? I just picked one up and interested in providing a feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.