Any way (or mod) to get the SDS100 to power on automatically with USB power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQLU507

I keep my SDS100 in the car primarily. It would be nice if there was a way to automatically power it on when it got external power rather than with the soft button. Anyone ever found a way to do this?

Ubbe

If you do not need to record audio it might be possible if you remove the battery and only power the scanner from USB.
Just remember to power cycle the scanner if you do any changes to scanlist or similar, so it will be stored to the SD card before you cut the power.

/Ubbe

WQLU507

Tried that, sadly no dice :(. Tried powering through mini and micro USB. It doesn't turn back on when power is applied. I miss having a volume / power knob! haha

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The SDS100 will not do as you ask. But the SDS200 scanner can do as you ask. I know because I’m doing just that. I leave the scanner on and power it with a power source that is on the ignition side of the switch. When my vehicle is off there is no power to the radio. And when I start the vehicle, power is supplied to the radio and reboots to on. I have tried it with the SDS100 with no luck. It would require a USB power source that goes off with the ignition switch to start with. But the radio shuts down when power is removed and requires a manual start once power is restored. So, sorry, it’s not doable.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
When my vehicle is off there is no power to the radio. And when I start the vehicle, power is supplied to the radio and reboots to on.
Wouldn't this corrupt the data on the SD card over time? I know the 536HP does a final write to the card upon a "graceful" shut down and this is omitted when power is cut to the radio.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Wouldn't this corrupt the data on the SD card over time? I know the 536HP does a final write to the card upon a "graceful" shut down and this is omitted when power is cut to the radio.
Only if it's recording something. I don't record and have never had an issue. I'm surmising the 100/200 doesn't do any writes unless recording.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can get away with external power cycling if you disable Replay and recording. You need to use the knob to shut down the radio if there are any setting changes like Avoids you want saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.