Any word on the status of NXDN support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasMcKean

NXDN?

I have a 536 and I am looking to get a hand held to go with it.

Much as I want to get the 436, it is really beginning to look to me like Uniden has abandoned NXDN altogether. Like they really just don't care.

I may have to go with the Whistler. I don't want to, but Uniden is leaving me little choice with their silence. :(

Seriously. I have had about enough of their unwillingness to talk. At this point it isn't about waiting until it is ready. At this point it is showing contempt and disrespect for the customers.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
People complain when Uniden pre-announces a feature and it takes longer than expected to bring the feature to market.

And then they complain when Uniden decides to not pre-announce features any more.

You're assuming Uniden has "abandoned" NXDN with zero factual basis. They haven't said it's in the pipeline, but they haven't said it isn't, either.

ThomasMcKean

You're assuming Uniden has "abandoned" NXDN with zero factual basis. They haven't said it's in the pipeline, but they haven't said it isn't, either.

Granted this is true. But with Whistler having it out already, Uniden needs to step up their game.

Or let us know it isn't going to.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have a 536 and I am looking to get a hand held to go with it.

Much as I want to get the 436, it is really beginning to look to me like Uniden has abandoned NXDN altogether. Like they really just don't care.

I may have to go with the Whistler. I don't want to, but Uniden is leaving me little choice with their silence. :(

There is already an on-going whine about that here:

https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-prospective-owners/352092-nxdn.html#post2754064

Seriously. I have had about enough of their unwillingness to talk. At this point it isn't about waiting until it is ready. At this point it is showing contempt and disrespect for the customers.

You are speaking as though Uniden promised you that you were going to get NXDN.

Did they promise it somewhere that we didn't see?

K1IWN

I seriously doubt that Uniden would abandon NXDN as a feature since their competition has it. From what I have read the NXDN with the Whistlers isn't without issues. I suspect the folks at Uniden would like to get an update out on this ASAP, but make sure it's right from the start rather than chasing their tail to try to fix it.

ThomasMcKean

You are speaking as though Uniden promised you that you were going to get NXDN.

Did they promise it somewhere that we didn't see?.

No they didn't. Which is why I said they should either tell us it is coming or tell us it is not. Apparently I am not the only one here who feels this way.

I think Uniden's silence just lost them yet another customer. I want to be loyal. Really I do. But if they cannot be loyal to me, I do not feel I can be loyal to them. Their loss is Whistler's gain.

How many others have bought Whistler instead because of this? Why don't they see hey are losing business?

garys

Premium Subscriber
Another day, another Uniden "HAS TO RELEASE NXDN" thread.

ThomasMcKean

Another day, another Uniden "HAS TO RELEASE NXDN" thread.

No they don't.

What I am saying (and I think what the other "whiners" are saying) is that they really should either let us know it is coming or let us know it isn't. They are under no obligation whatsoever to release NXDN and nowhere did I say they were. But if they are choosing not to, they should give their customers the courtesy of letting them know that. With Whistler already having it, Uniden stringing us along with this ongoing ambiguity is, at least to my mind (and to others, as seen elsewhere in the forum), somewhat unethical and at the very least extremely disrespectful to those of us who have purchased their products.

garys

Premium Subscriber
They are under no obligation to announce product releases in advance, either. Fortunately you have the choice of another brand if NXDN is your primary consideration. Personally, I think that the additional features of the x36HP line make it well worth waiting. If you look at the NXDN thread on the Whistler forum, a number of people have commented that it's not "real" NXDN trunk following, but a sort of pseudo following.

Uniden isn't stringing anyone along because UPMan has never once even hinted at a NXDN release. If he had, that would be a different story.

No they don't.

What I am saying (and I think what the other "whiners" are saying) is that they really should either let us know it is coming or let us know it isn't. They are under no obligation whatsoever to release NXDN and nowhere did I say they were. But if they are choosing not to, they should give their customers the courtesy of letting them know that. With Whistler already having it, Uniden stringing us along with this ongoing ambiguity is, at least to my mind (and to others, as seen elsewhere in the forum), somewhat unethical and at the very least extremely disrespectful to those of us who have purchased their products.

ThomasMcKean

If you look at the NXDN thread on the Whistler forum, a number of people have commented that it's not "real" NXDN trunk following, but a sort of pseudo following.

Heh. I really should check that out before I decide which one to buy. I think I will head over there and see for myself. :)

K1IWN

They are under no obligation to announce product releases in advance, either. Fortunately you have the choice of another brand if NXDN is your primary consideration. Personally, I think that the additional features of the x36HP line make it well worth waiting. If you look at the NXDN thread on the Whistler forum, a number of people have commented that it's not "real" NXDN trunk following, but a sort of pseudo following.

Uniden isn't stringing anyone along because UPMan has never once even hinted at a NXDN release. If he had, that would be a different story.

I'll gladly wait until a release comes out and it's done the right way.:D

Whistler jumped the gun and as a result they have to deal with the complaints that it isn't working properly.

Uniden gets blamed for not releasing it, and for not even hinting that they are even going to.

When was the last time Uniden did not have an answer for any radio code that is widespread in the radio market?

If Whistler had it right, there would be reasons to turn the heat up on Uniden. They don't. It will come when it meets their quality standards and not one minute before. The world will not collapse into total radio darkness before they do so.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
At this point, I seem to think that Uniden is just sitting on NXDN and waiting until the next generation of scanners, using NXDN as a selling point.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Check out the comments by Scott (ScanCapeCod) and Eric Cottrel. Both are guys I know and whose opinions I have a lot of respect for. I think Scott pointed out the flaws very early after the NXDN release.

Heh. I really should check that out before I decide which one to buy. I think I will head over there and see for myself. :)

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I took my Kenwood NX5300 out last night and set it beside my TRX-1 the TRX-1 missed or dropped about 40% of the conventional NXDN traffic that my NX5300 never missed or dropped. This was on 2 different NXDN systems.

troymail

Silent Key
I seriously doubt that Uniden would abandon NXDN as a feature since their competition has it. From what I have read the NXDN with the Whistlers isn't without issues. I suspect the folks at Uniden would like to get an update out on this ASAP, but make sure it's right from the start rather than chasing their tail to try to fix it.

Yup - that plan worked real well for them with DMR, din't it?... In theory, NXDN should actually be easier since it's not TDMA.

Time for the tavern, I suppose.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
<snip> I think Uniden's silence just lost them yet another customer. I want to be loyal. Really I do. But if they cannot be loyal to me, I do not feel I can be loyal to them. <snip>

Huh? Uniden is a multi-national corporation, not a friend or family member. That's like saying, "I want to be loyal to Exxon, I really do." Uniden's only loyalty is to its shareholders. That's just how things work, and honestly, that's how it should work. As a consumer in a free market economy you are free to choose whichever product tickles your fickle fancy. The only way to send Uniden a message they might actually heed is to vote with your wallet. Choose the product that meets your needs. If that product is not on their menu they will get the message eventually.

ThomasMcKean

Huh? Uniden is a multi-national corporation, not a friend or family member. That's like saying, "I want to be loyal to Exxon, I really do." Uniden's only loyalty is to its shareholders. That's just how things work, and honestly, that's how it should work. As a consumer in a free market economy you are free to choose whichever product tickles your fickle fancy. The only way to send Uniden a message they might actually heed is to vote with your wallet. Choose the product that meets your needs. If that product is not on their menu they will get the message eventually..

One would hope so? I was kinda hoping to listen to the rails going by the house. And I *know* I am not the only one who wants to? Uniden is losing all the railfans by dragging their feet. But if that's what they choose to do....? :(

phask

Premium Subscriber
One would hope so? I was kinda hoping to listen to the rails going by the house. And I *know* I am not the only one who wants to? Uniden is losing all the railfans by dragging their feet. But if that's what they choose to do....? :(

Seriously - How much of Columbus rail traffic is NXDN? From what I understand, none. I thought they were only using it in selected areas with no interconnections or yard work.

Status
Not open for further replies.