Anybody ever use this CB base antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I know someone who one in their garage,but they've never had it up.
It might be good to use on the scanner for low band!
n9zas

W4BOZ

Premium Subscriber
I used one well over a decade ago when they were made by, I want to say, Midland or some other manufacturer. I bought it when I was just starting out and didn't know a whole lot about compromise antennas or the like. But that's exactly what it is: a compromise antenna for people that need something to cover a small area and can't erect a full-sized base antenna or that maybe just want to listen. The "range" on it was maybe a mile or so at most, enough to talk to other kids in my relatively wooded suburban neighborhood with walkie talkies and maybe catch a few people passing by on a nearby road but that was about it.

I lived in both a rented house and then a CC&R community when I used it and eventually switched over to a homebrew 10/11m dipole in my attic that worked a whole lot better. I may have tried it on, ahem, 49MHz a few times but if I did it didn't do well enough for me to remember. Hope this helps!

Nightshade

I used one well over a decade ago when they were made by, I want to say, Midland or some other manufacturer. I bought it when I was just starting out and didn't know a whole lot about compromise antennas or the like. But that's exactly what it is: a compromise antenna for people that need something to cover a small area and can't erect a full-sized base antenna or that maybe just want to listen. The "range" on it was maybe a mile or so at most, enough to talk to other kids in my relatively wooded suburban neighborhood with walkie talkies and maybe catch a few people passing by on a nearby road but that was about it.

I lived in both a rented house and then a CC&R community when I used it and eventually switched over to a homebrew 10/11m dipole in my attic that worked a whole lot better. I may have tried it on, ahem, 49MHz a few times but if I did it didn't do well enough for me to remember. Hope this helps!

Thanks. All I want to do is listen and maybe yak with some of the locals. I live in a river valley with good sized hills on both side of my home so I know from my past CB days I don't have the $$$$ to put up a tower to reach out very far. Back then I was 25 ft above my roof line (a total of 75>80 ft) and got nothing due to the hills. :(

All that said, I think I'll order one just for a simple outside antenna that only cost $ instead of $$$$$ that so many antennas do.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Got something similar when I purchased a commercial 27 MHz telemetry system. Distance was approx 1 1/2 miles. The built in S meter showed almost full bars using this type of antenna point to point. Not line of site, gradual hill obstructing antennas.

A word to the wise to those interested in this system. Although cheap (sort of) and can punch a signal around corners, it falls to it's knees with CB skip and any noise generators (in my case, motor controllers) just plain stop this thing in it's track. Won't put anymore in, too much headache...

Wireless RF Radio Frequency Products for Industrial Automation, Control, and Telemetry

Status
Not open for further replies.