Anybody from the Craven Cty, New Bern Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksabo

If there is I'd sure like to meet up with you, have a coffee and talk radios for a bit. I,ve been here a year but I haven't found anyone who messes with scanners. Are there any radio clubs around here ?
Kenny

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Yes I lived in New Bern / Craven County for several years. Have all the info you need on the New Bern Trunked public safety system and a UHF full time linked repeater system that covers from Morehead City to Raleigh to Wilmington for ham use . I now live just 30 minutes away from New Bern.

haysead

I hate to bump this after 2 years, however, KC4YIN, would you mind posting all the info you have on the New Bern Trunked public safety system? I am having some trouble with the talkgroups.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Ah Yes! New Bern. They can be tricky but not difficult. First I would suggest you tell us what scanner you have and if you are programming by hand or with software and computer. All of my knowledge is in Win 500 and the GRE PRS 500 and 600/ Pro 197 scanners.
I'll be glad to help.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Update to your request.
Program in the following talkgroups.:
400-00
400-01
400-02
400-03
400-04
400-05
Continue in this sequence through 400-15
Be sure to let us know what type of trouble you are having.
Do you have the correct control channels programmed in?

haysead

Update to your request.
Program in the following talkgroups.:
400-00
400-01
400-02
400-03
400-04
400-05
Continue in this sequence through 400-15
Be sure to let us know what type of trouble you are having.
Do you have the correct control channels programmed in?

I programmed all of the frequencies that are listed in the New Bern Public Safety page. I am using a Pro-164 RadioShack scanner and using the Butel ARC300 software.

Thanks so much for the help so far!

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Glad you got it working. Little is known about the New Bern system as there are no alpha tags identifying the different services in New Bern. I know from what I hear when I'm over that way is that the first 5 or so talkgroups are P.D. 400-12 and 400-13 are EMS and I forget what the fire talkgorups are. I hope you can help us identify some of these as time goes on. Now for the bad news. New Bern's system is old and outdated and there is a move on to maybe replace the entire system since replacement parts are no longer made for it. They are going to more than likely go to some sort of digital system when they get their funding together. So be prepared, you may need a digital scanner when the time comes. There are a few threads on here about that.
If I can help in any other way, feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
yall please remember to submit any verified data so we can
update the database. :)
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
I will try and post what each TG has in it... also, do you have any information regarding the Craven County section of NC VIPER?

Yes. Craven co.viper control channel changed some time ago to 867.8125. That's where I found them when I was over there on Christmas eve. That freq. is listed as a voice channel in the DB. The Craven Co sheriff has a talk group on viper but it is digital.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
yall please remember to submit any verified data so we can
update the database. :)
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Yes Marshall. That's what we're working on.
I'm glad to find some help over there since I'm not living there any more.

haysead

Sorry to not have posted for a while, my scanners buttons stopped working so been having some issues with that...

Anyways, when I try to program in 400-12 and 400-13 talkgroups in the New Bern Public Safety it auto sets it to 400-14... anyone know why?

haysead

Sorry to not have posted for a while, my scanners buttons stopped working so been having some issues with that...

Anyways, when I try to program in 400-12 and 400-13 talkgroups in the New Bern Public Safety it auto sets it to 400-14... anyone know why?

EDIT:

I figured it out, my mistake :)

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Glad you figured it out. Took me a little time to remember what it was myself. It is a TYPE 1 system and you have to set the fleet maps set correctly.

haysead

I would like to confirm that 400-12 and 400-13 are EMS channels. I have been noticing some 600-XX and 500-XX channels popping up, so, time to pay closer attention.

EP204

Hello, new to RadioReference, but have been scanning craven for about 3 years.
Here is what I have gathered on New Bern:
PD:
400-2 Dispatch
400-3 Dispatch
400-4 tac
400-5 tac
400-10 tac
400-11 tac

FD:
400-6 Dispatch
400-8 Dispatch
400-9 tac
500-2 tac
500-3 tac

EMS:
400-12
400-13

City Gov./other:
500-5
500-6
500-7
500-9
500-15

EP204

If there is I'd sure like to meet up with you, have a coffee and talk radios for a bit. I,ve been here a year but I haven't found anyone who messes with scanners. Are there any radio clubs around here ?
Kenny

I am only using a pro-94, but have found that to be more then enough for this area, so I am only a mild scanner hobbyist, and I do not know of any clubs around, there just are not that many people.

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
I have made some updates to the New Bern Database, if you guys see anything that needs to be changed let me know. Thanks.

EP204

That looks correct, although I have not found any alpha tags that New Bern uses. Another thing is that it being a type one system FD alternates between their two TG's for dispatch and the same for EMS or PD. I was browsing though this site and I have to say the Radioreference database is incredible, this is the site I have been looking for. This site from the live audio to the wiki is exactly what I hoped for and more.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
All I know is they better hope the system does not need any replacement parts as type 1 systems are rare here in NC. And Moto sure as heck does not service them.
They better be working pretty fast on that move to P25 :)
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.