Anybody going to Boxboro this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Never been, Is it worth the 2 hours from Ct?

Planning on going just to check it out. Anyone that can post on here if its worth the trip or their experience? Are there tailgaters or is it all indoors?

Manny

n1das

Planning on going just to check it out. Anyone that can post on here if its worth the trip or their experience? Are there tailgaters or is it all indoors?

Manny

Boxboro is the NE ARRL convention that happens every 2 years. Commercial exhibits are inside and the flea market is outside in the parking lot. ICOM was there this year, KENWOOD was not. KENWOOD has had a booth there in the past. Many other vendors were there too, including Ham Radio Outlet (HRO).

It was definitely worth attending. I picked up a Motorola MTX9250 portable at the flea market, already hacked for 902-928, and already programmed for many 900MHz ham repeaters in the New England area. There's been an explosion of growth of ham activity in the 900MHz band in the Boston area within the last couple of year and I too got bit by the 900 bug.

Boxboro website: http://www.boxboro.org
Check this site periodically for updates and posting of pictures from Boxboro 2008.

GEMOTO website: http://www.gemoto.com
The GEMOTO guys are heavily into 900MHz and P25 digital in the Boston area.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
We Had A Ball!

I took off early with my wife ( also a Ham). Got there about 8:30am. It is probably the best Hamfest we have ever attended. I picked up a lot of little items like switches, wires and things. However, my best find at a flea market yet was the Uniden BC-780 XLT that I picked up there for under $150. It was in absolute mint condition. Not one scratch, with EVERYTHING that originaly came with it including box and manual. The mounting bracket, mounting screws and knobs were still in the original package. I took it home and began playing. Too bad it is only done every 2 years. We were already making plans for next year. Too bad.....Are there any other flea markets of that magnitude that happen yearly in Mass? What a great time......

Manny

n1das

You might have seen me and my G/F there....I was the dude on the Segway with the cargo bags on the sides.

Last edited:

n1das

Are there any other flea markets of that magnitude that happen yearly in Mass? What a great time......

Manny

The next flea at MIT is on Sunday 9/21. The MIT flea happens on the third Sunday of each month, April thru October.

The next NEAR-fest in Deerfield NH is also coming up around the beginning of October.
http://www.near-fest.com

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Is MIT a big flea market event? I hate driving 100 miles for a little two by four type set up....

Manny

garys

Premium Subscriber
Is MIT a big flea market event? I hate driving 100 miles for a little two by four type set up....

Manny

It's reasonably big, however it's a mix of some radio, a lot of computer and associated stuff, and some other stuff. When I go, I usually spend an hour to 90 minutes there. Others spend a lot longer, though. I've never done a count but between the inside (parking garage) and outside vendors there are probably 100 or more tables.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Sounds Cool!

Thanks, I will look into it. We are heading north this year. Usualy my wife and I hit the NYC and NJ flea markets. This time we are exploring the northern side of things. LOL...Anyway, we made it to Boxboro, now MIT is next on my list. Thanks again!

Manny

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I will look into it. We are heading north this year. Usualy my wife and I hit the NYC and NJ flea markets. This time we are exploring the northern side of things. LOL...Anyway, we made it to Boxboro, now MIT is next on my list. Thanks again!

Manny

You're welcome. NEARFest is definitely worth the trip. It's Columbus Day weekend. http://www.near-fest.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.