• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Retevis Anybody has the Retevis RB27 radio and could check something for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drabina

I have purchased the Retevis RB27 radio and have a problem with the belt clip. It looks like the locking pin is bent and doesn't latch onto the slot in the battery. It is very easy to slide the belt clip out and even with the battery installed in the radio, if I press the clip upwards, the battery just unlatches. I have contacted Retevis but they claim that it should work like that. Here is a video of the problem:

If the clip really should work like that, then there is a very good possibility to lose the whole radio while hiking.

Overall, it looks like I have received an used radio. The power adapter was outside of the plastic sleeve, radio turned on on channel 5 and some other scrambling frequency, it looks like somebody tried to install the belt clip and bent the locking pin. Unfortunately, Retevis is denying all claiming that radios are tested so they could be programmed to any frequency, power supplies are sourced separately so them being out of the plastic bag is normal and that the belt clip works as it should.

N4KVE

Overall, it looks like I have received an used radio. The power adapter was outside of the plastic sleeve, radio turned on on channel 5 and some other scrambling frequency, it looks like somebody tried to install the belt clip and bent the locking pin. Unfortunately, Retevis is denying all claiming that radios are tested so they could be programmed to any frequency, power supplies are sourced separately so them being out of the plastic bag is normal and that the belt clip works as it should.
Well what would you expect from a bottom of the barrel CCR? Over the last few years people have complained about buying a CCR on Amazon, & getting a radio a previous buyer returned. While the returned radio wasn’t defective, the original buyer either felt it was overwhelming to program up a codeplug, or couldn’t get the CPS to work. So the radio was returned. Do you think that radio was thrown in the trash? No, it was briefly tested to work, repackaged, & resold. You get what you pay for. Lesson learned.

drabina

I do appreciate both forum members taking time to respond but neither buying a case or thesis about expectations on a cheap radio address my actual question. I have just asked if somebody who has same radio could test the clip for me. I do not want external case and I know I bought a cheap $25 radio. I do not expect it to work or have a quality craftsmanship of a $250 piece of equipment.

amemait

Premium Subscriber
I have the RB27. Yes, the belt clip is very problematic. Being plastic, the small retaining clip that should keep the belt clip attached does not adequately keep it in place. I had to push down (toward the radio) to make it "snap" into place. But the slightest touch of that piece loosens it. Whatever you do, do NOT pull on that plastic piece to help you attach the belt clip. Simple press the entire clip against the radio to flatten the spring-loaded piece, slide it into place, then push on the retaining clip to make sure it's fully engaged. If you use the small retaining clip to help angle the spring-loaded piece, it will most certainly bend or break the retaining clip.
From viewing the video, your retaining clip is definitely bent beyond where it should be. It should not be angled out like that. If you try to gently bend it back, it might help to stay in place better - but WARNING - it is very thin plastic and may break if bent too much. Good luck!
P.S. If you (or anyone) finds any batteries for this radio, I'm looking. I like to keep a spare or two, but haven't been able to find any yet.

Last edited:

drabina

Thanks amemait. The flimsy build is exactly what I was suspecting and it does look like the locking clip is bent in my case. Fortunately, after long email exchange between me and Retevis, they are sending me a replacement clip. Will report back how that works when I get it.

amemait

Premium Subscriber
Thanks amemait.
You're welcome! I just stumbled on this looking for a programming cable pinout (and found the info on another site). I made my own programming cable with parts I already had. ;)
Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.