Anybody in the Harrisonburg area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqhopping

That could get an eye on a plane operating out of Bridgewater lately? It's been flying around the area in the mornings at about 17,000 feet. It's probably either a King Air or a De Havilland DHC-8/RO-6A being outfitted for the Army by Dynamic Aviation.

You can 'see' it on www.adsbexchange.com when it's active.

Might be able to hear it with Potomac TRACON on 132.85 and definitely on the Bridgewater airport freq on the way in/out.

fredva

Feed Provider
I was in the Harrisonburg area last week. I don't know about that plane, but I caught what I believe is Dynamic Aviation's DC-3 flying over. The image is a screen capture from a zoomed-in video camera.

Attachments

• DC3.jpg
    DC3.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 265

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Funny you mention this....

About a week or two ago, I was working out in my north pasture and could have sworn I heard a radial engine aircraft flying south, roughly following the Blue Ridge. I had not heard a radial engine aircraft since I was a kid, but it is a sound you don't forget.

I wonder if this was the same plane?

(I used to ride in Dakota's [aka: DC-2's] and DC-3's often when I was a kid around the Caribbean).

freqhopping

Yeah, that's N47E which I believe to be the same plane that sprayed my neighborhood for gyspy moths in the mid 1980s.

Noticed the mystery plane active again midday. Looks like they have 10 Dash8s in their inventory currently.

Most don't show any recent activity on flight tracking sites, so it's likely they're using military transponder codes now.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I believe the DC-3 that Fredva has is in the picture I have attached. My son and I caught a quick flight on it about a year and a half ago. Dynamic Aviation did an open house and was offering up flights (for a fee). It is a C-47, Miss Virginia.

I live about 5 minutes from Dynamic. They are a very interesting company. They also purchased and are restoring Columbine II- which is the original Air Force 1. We went to see that as well when it arrived in Bridgewater. Dynamic is east of town and I live west of the town. Very little air traffic flows west of town and I sometimes surprised at the air traffic approaching/ landing over Bridgewater. It has greatly increased from when I was a kid and growing up in that town.

But, back on topic, I don't have any answers... I have some new monitoring to discover. I very seldom listen to airband traffic- but it's crossed my mind a time or two to see what is out there.

Attachments

• 12143143_10206899321908994_890905046040490498_n.jpg
    12143143_10206899321908994_890905046040490498_n.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 132

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Here is a pic of my son and I in front of Columbine II. Sorry for the second pic. No idea why I only took a picture of the tale. :lol: I have a couple of more shots, but basically there are photos all over the web of it.

Attachments

• Columbineii.jpg
    Columbineii.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 129
  • columbineiib.jpg
    columbineiib.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 128

fredva

Feed Provider
Cool pictures Todd.

Many years ago, when I was a kid, I walked through Columbine III at the Air Force Museum in Ohio.

I don't remember hearing about Dynamic Aviation until after I saw the DC-3 while we were visiting the Mt. Crawford Creamery. After we got back to our cabin at Massanutten, I googled "DC-3 Harrisonburg" and saw Dynamic Aviation had restored a DC-3/C-47 that appeared to be a match for the one I saw.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
I don't remember hearing about Dynamic Aviation until after I saw the DC-3 while we were visiting the Mt. Crawford Creamery...

Mt. Crawford Creamery is right across the river from Dynamic- as I'm sure you realized. I know the owners of the Creamery (the Will's) well. Nice people. They know pretty much everyone and something about everything around here.

If you're ever in the area again and have time, let me know. Maybe we can grab a bite to eat and talk radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.