Anybody interested in starting the remaining San Jose PD feeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclark794a

Premium Subscriber
There are no streaming feeds for San Jose Police Channel 1, 2, 6 and 7. Is there anybody interested in starting these feeds. I could assist with providing a computer and a scanner.

Is there enough interest in this sort of thing? I haven't really found much activity for South Bay scanning.

Their PD channels seem to largely be in a ~1 MHz wide chunk of space, so it should be relatively simple to just pull in that entire band and record the interesting bits. The problem is, without any interest, there's no real incentive to go to the trouble.

kclark794a

Premium Subscriber
San Jose Police feeds

I personally don't have the time to listen to all of the San Jose Police channels. I do listen to the area where I live which is in the Southern Division which includes District A and District T. Neither of these are streamed. There was a gang homicide a couple of days ago that I heard about on the news but because it was not streamed I could not go back into the archives and listen to it. What works really well for me is when I hear about something on the news or I read about it in the newspaper, I can go into the archives and listen to the radio traffic. Sure, not all channels are going to be busy all of the time but that is the great thing about the archives plus they just expanded it to 30 days.

Stealthguy05

I think the real need is for a stream of all the other local law agencies, especially SCCSO Channels 2 and 3 which are P25.

kclark794a

Premium Subscriber
I think there is a stream for Control 1 but it is streamed with so many other agencies it is very hard to listen to.

kclark794a: I usually only listen to the Santa Clara city stuff and it can be a handful at times. I usually wind up skipping ahead to the spots which look interesting in order to "catch up". I look for a transmission on their "PD Wide" talkgroup or activity on the higher numbered Fire talkgroups, for instance. Skipping all of the utilities (electric, water/sewer, etc) also helps.

If I was going to listen to other cities, I'd probably only do it after the fact, perhaps by hearing about something out of band (like through a forum, or Twitter, or whatever). But that's just me.

When you say it is "streamed with so many other agencies", do you mean the actual stream provider has a bunch of different channels being scanned conventionally in one audio stream, or something else?

kclark794a

Premium Subscriber
Hello- Santa Clara County Sheriff is listed under Santa Clara County (3rd from the bottom in Radio Reference). It is streamed with other agencies in one audio stream so it is pretty hard to listen to if other channels are busy. It says it is a stereo feed. What is a talk group? Feel free to call me if you would like. Kevin 408 482-6205.

Oh wow, okay, I had no idea. That sounds suboptimal, especially when things are busy. I only listen on my own equipment so this is all news to me.

A talkgroup is something you get from a trunked system. You can filter out traffic this way, especially if it's correlated with the actual recordings. That is, you might see a 30 second long recording for PD Wide and know it's probably meaningful. Likewise, a 1 second long recording for that same group is probably just a click. Santa Clara alone has about 3000 calls per day so I skip around a lot.

There are times when I find myself wanting to track a few nearby agencies (SV, SJ, SO) but it feels like too much trouble to keep it going at all times. That's a lot of data, and it spans a bunch of bands so it would take a fair amount of equipment to snag all of it.

WA1ATA

There was a gang homicide a couple of days ago that I heard about on the news but because it was not streamed I could not go back into the archives and listen to it. .
If you are referring to the shooting at the Hells Angels funeral, most of that activity was on SJPD9 before the shooting. After the shooting there was also some activity on some other channels. SJPD6 and 8 I think.

I had earlier that morning heard a pilot working with SJC tower to get permission to orbit around two different places and tuned around to see what was going on. I later figured out the two places were the cemetery and the church. There were multiple police watching the cemetery from all sides, with the intention of making sure that there wasn't any trouble with rival gangs. They had eyes on the cemetery and had reported a scuffle or disturbance just seconds before calling out "shots fired".

Status
Not open for further replies.