Anybody know the status of the Pro-160?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I am dying to get one!
It is supposed to be the mobile equivalent of the Pro-162. Seeing how great the 162 has performed in my area, I can only conclude that the mobile will do just as good. Hope it comes out soon.

Manny

phillyred79

I am dying to get one!
It is supposed to be the mobile equivalent of the Pro-162. Seeing how great the 162 has performed in my area, I can only conclude that the mobile will do just as good. Hope it comes out soon.

Manny

No kidding! I'm in the same position! I have a PR0-528 which is 'ok,' but I'd really like to have either a 162 or a 160.. The DCS/CTCSS decode feature sounds delightful, plus that bigger screen with alpha tags, and better sound?!!! AHHH I need a new toy.. I'm extremely tempted to get the 162 right now since it's only on sale until 6/14....

Hey, anyone know if this Family and Friends Days at RS is official or? When is it?

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Im pacing back and forth.......Come on Already....

Im telling you that the Tone decode is awesome. It is not only instant when you want to find out the tone on a single channel but when you do either a service search or a programmed (by you) search, it automaticaly and instantly gives you PL/DPL on whatever signal you find if it has one. Its great! You find a new frequency and its tone to boost.......

Manny

phillyred79

Im telling you that the Tone decode is awesome. It is not only instant when you want to find out the tone on a single channel but when you do either a service search or a programmed (by you) search, it automaticaly and instantly gives you PL/DPL on whatever signal you find if it has one. Its great! You find a new frequency and its tone to boost.......

Manny

SO.. The only major difference is 162/Uniden 164/GRE and the speaker volume is subjectively better on the 162? Functionality wise they both pack the same features right? Sounds like you prefer the 162 for the 'easier' programming and your previous issue on intermod with GRE products?

No RS near me has the 162 yet, but they all have plenty of 164s. When did the 164 originally come out?

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
They are both "basicaly" the same.
The 164 does have a 5(?) segment signal strength meter. In my opinion its mainly for show. Nothing like a real signal meter. I like the audio better on the 162. I heard them both side by side and the 162 seems much louder and clearer. In fact the 162 has 270 Mw of audio in comparison with the 170 mw of audio on the 164. While this is not night and day difference, it does mean you have to turn the volume knob up more on the 164 to achieve the desired audio. This may account for the battery drain. One of the things that stands out in the reviews is that the 164 is a juice hog. This was another big factor for me. The 162 is NOT a juice hog. I use Duracell 2650 Mah rechargeable batteries available right at Walmart. No problem yet and dont expect any. Im not knocking the 164. I just find the 162 much easier to use. The other major thing for me in my decision making process was the screen on the 162. Huge! As I have stated before, it lets you see EVERYTHING at once. Bank tags,channel tags,frequency, tones, delay status, channel number. What more can you ask for? If the 160 has all of this, I might get 2. Here is a link to reviews of the 164. Of the 19 reviews, the overall rating is only 3 stars. Im not sure when it came out. I want to say maybe 3 years ago?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...7&support=support&tab=custRatings#showReviews
]

Manny

Last edited:

Jakemcgraw

The Pro-164 is an updated version of the pro-97. The 164 was released around approx. november 2007..It is a very good receiver with nice features. IMO i prefer the battery holders over the direct battery loading of the Pro-162. Quicker to reload your batteries.

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I dont mean to be argumentative but how does speed play into loading batteries? It takes me less than a minute to change all 4 on my 162 and that is at a snails pace. Then again, 162 owners dont chage batteries as much as 164 owners do. Oh well, it goes back to my previous post, different strokes for different folks.

Manny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.