Anybody listening to S Scotts or MCSO E? I'm a bit freaked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Was anybody listening to Scottsdale PD South District or MCSO East this morning between, let's say 5:30 and 6:15? The traffic I saw that is described below was probably on an encrypted channel, but I don't know. I don't have a digital scanner in my car and even though I turned my pro-106 on as soon as I got to work, about 6:15, there was nothing to hear. If anybody heard anything, I'd appreciate knowing what it was.

I live in a relatively quiet neighborhood in North Tempe, right? It's an established neighborhood. Nobody has moved in or out in quite some time except the 2nd house from the corner, but that's okay, because that isn't the house involved. The only sirens you hear are from the fire station up the road. The only police activity is when an occasional Tempe unit comes in my neighborhood to 'check things out'.

Until this morning. I was getting ready to back out of my driveway when a car turned down my street. I waited for him to pass but then another car turned down and then I saw at least 2 more waiting to turn. Something was up. 4 vehicles stopped near the corner of my street so I backed out and headed to go off to work. I figured the vehicles were some city workers who sometimes come into my neighborhood to pick up large items in the alley and trim large trees and such. The first 2 vehicles were unmarked; a car and a van. I couldn't tell what the 3rd vehicle was other than it was some sort of truck. Not a pick up but kind of like a delivery truck-looking. The 4th vehicle is what caught my attention. It was a Scottsdale PD K9 vehicle. Okay. So, I turn out off of my side street onto a bigger one and turn left at the next one, konwing it would take me to a street midway down my own. I was going to 'go dark' and creep up to see what was going on, but the 4 vehicles were moving and that's when I saw what the truck was. It was some kind of vehicle from MCSO. All I saw was "Sheriff" on the side. They went by me then stopped a couple of houses down past me. The K9 vehicle then blocked off the street and turned his overhead lights on. Because they were a few houses down from mine and blocking the street further west than that I know it wasn't my house they were interested in (not that there was any doubt hahaha). After the K9 blocked off the other half of my street I went off to work, although I kept expecting to get pulled over so they could make sure I wasn't part of whatever house they were going to. They probably saw which house I backed out of, though, and since they were interested in something further west, they didn't bother with me. It's a good thing, though, I didn't take a street that would've wound me around to the far west of my street or I would've been blocked in by the K9 vehicle. Then I would've had some 'splaining to do.

The part I don't get is the units involved. Unless the first two vehicles that were unmarked were Tempe PD units, I don't understand why Scottsdale PD would be involved. I'm pretty sure TPD still has K9 teams and while I live very close to the Scottsdale border, my house is definitely in Tempe.

Thanks

Last edited:

Avmonaco

Wow! Sounds intense for such a quiet neighborhood. I regularly listen to MCSO and Scottsdale. However, I was not awake that early! Ha! I'd be interested to hear if anyone finds out what that was, too!

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
No kidding! That's one of the reasons why I like my neighborhood...it's so quiet. People often jog or walk their dogs after dark/early morning because nothing ever happens. I called my mom at about 9:00 but she didn't know anything about it. She'd gone out to get the paper at about 7:00 but I had tossed the paper up by the door when I was leaving so she wouldn't have seen it anything.

Hopefully it'll be on the news, but unless they did anything real interesting or newsworthy, I'm not holding my breath! If only I hadn't been working overtime this week. If I'd gone in at my regular time I would've been awake and in my room and seen the flashing lights so I would've been able to see a bit more of what was going on. Now I have a reason not to like OT. hahaha

rwier

The following does not answer your query, but multi-agency activities are not uncommon in Maricopa County. They usually involve drugs, and/or illegal alien incidents.

Occasionally, you get the same turnout for a "chop shop" raid, or some type of crime relating to animals (fighting dogs, exotic pets, etc.).

These are not advertised ahead of time and scanner type radio traffic is at a minimum. They make the news when the agencies involved see fit, and it's an otherwise slow news day.

I witnessed a case similar to yours in my neighborhood a few years back. The first notice that this large "army" was nearby was the "bang" grenades that blew out the windows of the subject residence.

That incident made the news. The house contained a motorcycle "chop shop" operation. A LE moving van took away twenty-some bikes from inside of what appeared to be a nondescript residence.

Maybe one your neighbors got a hint of what was going on while you were at work?

Good luck,
Rob

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Wow, Rob, that must've been quite an experience.

Well, my brother apparently talked to our next door neighbor who was informed by his brother (who happens to be the Tempe City Mayor) that it was, in fact, a drug bust. Allegedly, the house had been under surveillance since 3am (longer than that obviously, but just yesterday) and there were a lot more agencies there than what I saw. He said it was Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale and MCSO. Apparently it was the only house that's had anybody move in or out in the past 18 months. But apparently the suspects got away. What I don't understand, though, is where my brother said the target house was located. It didn't mesh up with where the police activity was that I saw. Allegedly the house was located on the side street I came back on, but that wasn't what was blocked off.

Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.