Anybody still use the Pro-90?

Status
Not open for further replies.

68_Koop

I see a lot of posts re: the Pro-96 and 106. The 90, not so much. I was going through some boxes in the garage and came across my reliable old 90. Blammo, got right back into radio scanning like I never stopped (been a few years). Any reasons why I should "upgrade" to a newer unit? This is an 800 mHZ Trunk Tracker...is that all I "need" these days? Is there newer radio technology that I'm not aware of (yet)? I've seen some mention of "Triple Trunk Tracking", but I don't have a clue what that means. Thanks.

Koop

tes151

I still have my PRO-90 also. Just bought a new battery pack for it this week. I've been away from scanning for a little while and would like to see the answers to your questions also.

InlandAZ

I still use my Pro-2006 (love it for the Arizona DPS) - The best part is it can be on in any location in the house, and you can actually hear what's going on from another. I'm all for handhelds, but the speaker in the Pro-2006 wins out hands down

68_Koop

Pro-90

I lost the belt clip for mine during one of my moves (just moved to NC ~ 18 months ago). If anybody has one that they would like to sell, please let me know. I don't know if the clip from other mobile models would fit. Maybe one of you guys does. Thanks

Koop

N8IAA

I see a lot of posts re: the Pro-96 and 106. The 90, not so much. I was going through some boxes in the garage and came across my reliable old 90. Blammo, got right back into radio scanning like I never stopped (been a few years). Any reasons why I should "upgrade" to a newer unit? This is an 800 mHZ Trunk Tracker...is that all I "need" these days? Is there newer radio technology that I'm not aware of (yet)? I've seen some mention of "Triple Trunk Tracking", but I don't have a clue what that means. Thanks.

Koop

The only reason I can think of, is that it doesn't support the transition from 860Mhz trunking frequencies to the 850Mhz frequencies. Had a 90 for my first TT'ing scanner back in 1998. My great wife bought it for me while I was recouping from surgery at home. Had a lot of friends in LE and all had gone to trunked systems. With VIPER building out through the state, and other systems going digital, it might be worth your while to get a 106 if it is still on sale. Lots of great guys and gals in the NC forum to help you out too:)
Larry

jamesa53

I think the chief disadvantage is that you can only scan one trunking system at a time and you cannot scan conventional frequencies while scanning a trunked system. Also it only does Motorola SmartNet Type II systems and won't do EDACS or P25 at all. Needless to say it only does Analog. It was RS first trunking scanner. The audio output on mine is not that great.

We have a few analog talkgroups of interest on SAFE-T here in Indiana (Motorola system) and I use it to listen to those.

If you move up to a PRO-92 (plain model- no A or B after the number) it will do all of the above and supposedly will support rebanding. And you can program it using software that is free. Still analog however.

boyledad

Belt clip...

I lost the belt clip for mine during one of my moves (just moved to NC ~ 18 months ago). If anybody has one that they would like to sell, please let me know. I don't know if the clip from other mobile models would fit. Maybe one of you guys does. Thanks

Koop

As of last year you could still special order it from RS for home delivery and it was reasonably priced. If they don't have it you could try Uniden - they built the radio.

boyledad

Not necessarily obsolete...

Koop

If the radio does what you need it to, there is no reason to spend money on a new one. If any of the drawbacks already mentioned apply to you, then by all means start looking at available models for the features you want.

I would like EDACS analog and Motorola digital capability so I have started looking on Ebay for an appropriate scanner. In the meantime my Pro-90 rides along on the seat of my truck every day. It gets nearly every local PD and FD agency for my area but I'm not sure yet what rebanding will do to me.

68_Koop

Pro-90

Chuck - Thanks for the replies. I've been out of work for a while, so I'm holding off on buying anything for now anyway.

From my BlackBerry

Koop

scannerjunkie

Pro 90

I use my pro 90 and my pro 43 for analog listening along with the good ole pro2006. i will never part with these units. i have a psr 500 for the digital that goes on in my area but you cannot beat the pro 43 pro 90 or the pro2006 for conv analog and some trunk on the pro 90.

T-Santon

I've had a Pro-90 tucked away in my closet for years now...It was the first trunking scanner I ever owned. It lacks a lot of useful features that I now take for granted, but back in the late 90's it was always by my side...Eventually I'd like to use it again as a secondary scanner for some local analog stuff, but I have no adapter for it, and the battery pack died about 9 years ago (maybe one day I'll get it taken care of).

Status
Not open for further replies.