Anybody still using the PRO-43?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankJ

I use mine everyday. Great for VHF/UHF Milair bands. I know it's getting old, but the performance definetely was better than the PRO-97 (whick I returned to RS several months ago for refund). I know that newer scanners have more features and better displays, but PERFORMANCE is what counts!

Frank

typesix

I still use a PRO-43 as it the most modern of my handhelds. I also use a Regency HX-1500 but seldom use a Bearcat 100XL.

FrankJ

Yep, mine still works well. No keypad problems yet! (crossing my fingers). The audio isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be......

jmp883

I loved mine...bought it new and it worked great....for a few months. Then one day I went to turn it on, the display flashed and went blank, and it never worked again. Instead of getting it repaired I just went out and bought a Bearcat. I believe I still have it packed away in the back of my closet in a box that also has 2 PRO-2026 programmable scanners and 4 or 5 crystal scanners, all in mint condition. :D

consys

Premium Subscriber
Mine is plugged in and desktop only. The pc board at battery connectors broke after swapping packs 2 & 3 times a day for ten years or so. ) Remeber when the "good" nicads were only 5-600maHR.) The keypad and antenna conector have been replaced, the power jack more than twice.

I now use it as a dedcated local fire monitor. It's usually is on one channel now or two with priority enabled.

D

DaveNF2G

I use mine as a "base" scanner as well. My PRO-97 has taken over most of the milair/aviation/railroad duty because of its greater channel capacity and alpha tags, but I'd only give up the PRO-43 if somebody made me a really good offer.

FrankJ

Yeah, my PRO-43 is the only scanner that will hear MILSAT's in the 260 Mhz FM range with just a 220 Mhz Ham band rubber duck antenna indoors with NO preamp!

Frank

pathalogical

I bought a used one earlier this year. It's in great shape and was modded by the original owner to receive the old cell phones. I had it out this weekend for our annual airshow but the majority of the comms were on regular civil air. Unfortunately there is no milair around here to give the 43 a real workout, I wish I could hear some comms like what is posted in the Maryland Forum ! It will be used as my dedicated airband receiver. Even though I bought it used, it's a keeper !!!

52to12

Bought mine from Grove Ent. 9/10/92. 14 years and still going strong! Audio tends to sound "tinny" above medium volume. Only problems have been with battery holders cracking. I found a "close out" deal at local R.S. franchise dealer, bought 2 generic nicad rechargeable packs for $12.00. required charging time is 16 hrs +/-. I used it 8 years in NY, and 6 years in N.C. My county is now converting to LTR trunked systems. Purchased a pro-97 , will still use 43 for conventional monitoring +++ vacations.

moparth

Premium Subscriber
Still use mine every day, had to replace keypad once about 8 years ago, great scanner !!

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I have one, but it's relagated to being a back up scanner if my Pro-93 ever craps out. Guess I should sell it as I haven't turned it on in about a year!

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
yeah, I use my all the time. up until last Christmas when I bought a Uniden 396T, I used it as my main scanner. I bought it when they first came out. I've replaced the keypad once due being an idiot to letting someone borrow it for a weekend and they spilled a soda in it. it still has a few issues with the L/O button. I also restored full 800MHz and 54-88MHz. I used it at home for analog scanning.

I have another brand new (been modded though) in the box. I have never use it.

I also use a PRO-46 all the time too. it's my take everywhere scanner if I don't need trunking or digital. I use it to scan MED channels and other EMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.