Anyone download Wikipedia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I downloaded a couple versions here myself. One weighs in at around 48 GB using WikiTaxi and the other is around 78 GB using the ZIM file format for Kiwix. I have a Pioneer Blu-ray burner capable of burning M-Discs which are made of a rock-like substance which supposedly will last like a 1,000 years. So my intent is to keep updated copies of Wikipedia on M-Disc about every year or so and have requested my family to place those disks in my coffin when the time comes. I'm predicting and hoping my grave will be an archeological find some hundreds of years into the future and so the Info. will be there. Granted technology, language and other things will have changed, but I'm sure a future populace could decipher it. I'm not sure if I'll go ZIM or WikiTaxi and I'll include the program which is stand along to read the files. Another thing though is that life will have a sixth extinction so who knows what and when a future race comes in contact with my disks and even knows what to do with them.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Could always download it to thumb drives and put the drives in static bags. :p :cool:

Flash storage has a finite storage time frame. Same is true for SSDs in fact. If you don't power on your computer with a SSD for some time then data corruption occurs. Granted that's like years I'm sure.

M-Disc is made to last a very long time. Read all about it. M-DISC - Wikipedia

CapStar362

there is a format being tinkered with called the HVD, which can store upto 3TB on a 10cm disc using a layer that can last for over 2000 years. though at the time of initial creation ( 2004 ) ...

The original creators are now bankrupt and defunct, however the plans are still out there and with the emergence of new technologies, is being looked into again and can now store up to 34TB per 10cm disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.