Anyone else having streaming problems on the iphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5gqb

Anytime I try to stream the feeds while on the AT&T network (3g or edge service) from RR they get disconnected shortly after starting. It works at first but usually after a minute or two it goes back to loading...and never picks it back up. This is of course using Safari.
It doesn't matter if I'm logged into the RR site with my user name or not, nor if I'm on the main site or the mobile site. However if I'm hooked up to wifi, no problems.
I don't have any other scanner apps on my iphone (like scanner 911, 5-0, pocket tunes, etc) so I can't compare through them.

Any ideas?

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Anytime I try to stream the feeds while on the AT&T network (3g or edge service) from RR they get disconnected shortly after starting. It works at first but usually after a minute or two it goes back to loading...and never picks it back up. This is of course using Safari.
It doesn't matter if I'm logged into the RR site with my user name or not, nor if I'm on the main site or the mobile site. However if I'm hooked up to wifi, no problems.
I don't have any other scanner apps on my iphone (like scanner 911, 5-0, pocket tunes, etc) so I can't compare through them.

Any ideas?

If it only happens when you are using the phone's 3g connection, then its probably because you arent in a good area- I would definately not recommend streaming on the Edge network because thats not fast at all, and 3g is more for browsing the web fast, not for a solid connection for a long period of time- which is exactly what the Live Streaming needs.

Also- I have a Motorola Droid and I have tried to stream on the 3g network from Verizon and it just cuts out as well - even in the city. I live in a dense area in the mountains, and I happen to have a good internet connection so I just do all my streaming through that.

Last edited:

Bustergrn

I've used FStream for a year or so now and I thought it worked decent. The problem with FStream is that you have to dig out the actual feed address for a RR feed and hard-code it into the app. The stream I listened to most often is now offline so I haven't used FS in a while.

I stream a radio station from Phoenix (I live in Tulsa) in the mornings through the Safari player (which is really just Quicktime player imbedded). I am on a 2G Edge connection and it works more than it doesn't. It does, however, have trouble in certain areas and in certain buildings where normal cell coverage is hindered. Overall, it's not too bad. I thnk it really depends on the area you are in, the cell signal strength you receive and the tower's internet connection and bandwidth.

n5gqb

Yea does it both on the 3g network and edge service. Doesn't seem to matter where I'm at in town, near or far in relation to cell tower (strength) location.
As for streaming music, I do have Pandora radio and it does fine on the AT&T network.
I have also reset the phone, cleared out the cache, cookies, etc, just to make sure it wasn't something with the phone.
I dunno, maybe its something glitchy with the local AT&T network. They do tend to have a lot of 3g issues on the local level.

If it only happens when you are using the phone's 3g connection, then its probably because you arent in a good area- I would definately not recommend streaming on the Edge network because thats not fast at all, and 3g is more for browsing the web fast, not for a solid connection for a long period of time- which is exactly what the Live Streaming needs.

Also- I have a Motorola Droid and I have tried to stream on the 3g network from Verizon and it just cuts out as well - even in the city. I live in a dense area in the mountains, and I happen to have a good internet connection so I just do all my streaming through that.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I've had some issues in the past with my iPhone doing that. Make sure you clear your cache and whatnot from Safari just to see if that helps. Also, shut your iPhone off for a few minutes and turn it back on. And, I hope this comes without saying, make sure you have all your updates to the newest version. That should fix most of your problems.

I listen to scanner feeds over all types of connections from that dumb O to Edge to 3G to WiFi so it does work. There are days my phone acts funny but 98% of the time, it works flawlessly.

PM or Email me if you have any questions. I used to have an iPhone 3G. I currently have an iPhone 3G(S) and both phones have worked with RR feeds.

SignalSeeker

Premium Subscriber
When I use Safari I have noticed the same thing, mine seems to go for 20 maybe 30 minutes though. I have started using Scanner911 I have not had the problem. Not sure if it auto reconnects or what not. My dropouts with Safari happened with 3G or home Wifi, with the app I have to close the app for it to stop working.

Justin

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
To clear up the various nomenclature for AT&T (and other GSM) data networks:

1G - CDPD
2G - GPRS
3G - EDGE
"3.5G" - HSDPA

Now that we have that cleared up, AT&T has had network traffic issues since GPRS. The iPhone "revolution" put them even further behind the proverbial 8-ball with network congestion. And as always, certain locales are worse than others for network congestion and connectivity issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.