Anyone else using Peanut App for ham radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

millrad

Premium Subscriber
Last month, I discovered a new ham radio RoIP app known as The Peanut, written by Dutch ham and software guy PA7LIM. It offers a Windows-based virtual transceiver with a large display window, a VU/S meter & a drop-down box offering several dozen talk channels. Some of the channels are strictly talk rooms with no RF connection, while others link directly to active DMR and D-Star servers and repeaters, much like EchoLink does. Peanut also scans any six channels of your choice. The entire setup is free, and users must submit an image of their ham license to be allowed in.
So everything was great until yesterday, when I received an e-mail from the Connecticut D-Star management council, asking me to stop using reflector D69C, which is the main Connecticut D-Star server, because I'm not a registered DStar user and I'm causing confusion on the system. I have now applied to become a D-Star user - but I believe I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. I'm legally using the app and D69c is offered as an option to every operator on the system. Somebody didn't get the memo. I was never big on D-Star to begin with: 1. I 'm not a fan of ICOM and; 2. DMR is a better, more flexible and cheaper choice.

KE0GXN

Last month, I discovered a new ham radio RoIP app known as The Peanut, written by Dutch ham and software guy PA7LIM. It offers a Windows-based virtual transceiver with a large display window, a VU/S meter & a drop-down box offering several dozen talk channels. Some of the channels are strictly talk rooms with no RF connection, while others link directly to active DMR and D-Star servers and repeaters, much like EchoLink does. Peanut also scans any six channels of your choice. The entire setup is free, and users must submit an image of their ham license to be allowed in.
So everything was great until yesterday, when I received an e-mail from the Connecticut D-Star management council, asking me to stop using reflector D69C, which is the main Connecticut D-Star server, because I'm not a registered DStar user and I'm causing confusion on the system. I have now applied to become a D-Star user - but I believe I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. I'm legally using the app and D69c is offered as an option to every operator on the system. Somebody didn't get the memo. I was never big on D-Star to begin with: 1. I 'm not a fan of ICOM and; 2. DMR is a better, more flexible and cheaper choice.

I know a while back there was a huge issue with one particular Peanut user acting a fool on 30C or some other rooms which caused all sort of consternation with the registered D-Star folks and the D-Star powers that be. It was all aired out on the D-Star Facebook group page.

Unfortunately, I suspect that one bad actor and possibly others using Peanut may be the reason of the grief your experiencing now.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I've heard people using voice Peanut on Fusion and their modulation was pure crap.

adcockfred

not to bust use guys bubble
there are two guys up in ohio valley like this on d-star
do not dee a decode like this very often

JDrisc3480

From what I have read while looking into getting into D-Star, is that if you are not a registered user you should not even have access to any of the reflectors. Everything should be simplex only. It appears that this peanut gets around that somehow and that is why the reflectors owner sent that message.

millrad

Premium Subscriber
The only memo I got is that repeater operators get to place conditions on your use of their equipment, including that you not use it at all.
Now that I'm bored to tears with the entire Peanut app, I received my D-Star registration approval the other day. Funny how that works.

wowologist

Certifiable
"The only memo I got is that repeater operators get to place conditions on your use of their equipment, including that you not use it at all."

Thats why I like using a hotspot for network access. Your then not dependent on the attitudes, political agenda or banging you for $$ every two seconds to use "their" repeater/system. My analog system is and has been free access to any licensed operator for the sake of the hobby since the day I got it coordinated and on air. This latest version of the "the next best thing/digital" is almost like an ATM machine for the manufacturers and some "linked systems & certain wide are groups". I recently added up in my head a certain group effort/network registered users x the "monthly fee" and it came up to about $7,000 a month.....it's not supposed to be a money making venture, it's amateur not commercial.

Status
Not open for further replies.