Anyone ever use this "desktop discone"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ6CFU

Premium Subscriber
I saw one of these a long time ago - maybe at a ham radio swap meet? Can't recall it's been so long.

Anyway, the design is rather interesting. Here's a picture: Scanmaster Desktop

Anyone ever try to make something like this?

mancow

Database Admin
I never bought one but a friend has one and seems to like it. It's not spectacular but does give decent results it seems.

KJ6CFU

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I wasn't planning on purchasing one but it seemed to be an "everything but the kitchen sink" approach and was curious to see if it actually worked. Interesting that it actually works for your friend!

jim202

With the limited information and lengths of the elements, I would be very cautious about using this antenna on the low band channels. Can't see where anything is long enough to work on the low band frequencies. The law of physics can only be stretched so far. My bet is this antenna has gone way beyond those limits.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
This might be fine for the scanner but I would not transmit on any band without taking swr readings first!
What was the price tag on it,if you don't mind me asking?

n9zas

LtDoc

I haven't used one but wouldn't expect any particular difference in performance from any other discone antenna with the appropriate 'sized' elements and with the antenna located in the same 'spot'. Best solution for any multi-band antenna is more height! 'Nuther one'a them "I wish!" thingys...
- 'Doc

lep

Where were these "tests" performed?

I note the color bar chart x & y axis were written in a non-English language, where were these "tests" performed?

n5ims

I note the color bar chart x & y axis were written in a non-English language, where were these "tests" performed?

The web site is a .cz site, which would indicate the Czech Republic. Also if you put "Frekvence" into the Google Translate site it will auto-dectect the language to be "Czech" as well. While the tests could've been done in Santa Monica, CA, odds are that there were done in the Czech Republic.

It does seam interesting that they're performing antenna comparisons (frequency vs signal strength) and have a HPN-30118 filter attached (look at the antenna switch picture). Their chart shows a very high signal around 88 MHz, which is in the area that's filtered, which could be why they selected that particular filter. They also feed each antenna with a different sized coax, which could result in different levels of loss and favor one antenna over another. It would be nice to know which antenna was attached to which.

Their "methodology" doesn't sound very scientific either since the signal strength could easily vary as the test is done (say a close station on a simplex channel is on and is answered by a distant station while the switch is moved to another antenna). You'd think that a constant signal strength from a signal generator (in a shielded room) would provide a more accurate test.

Last edited:

LtDoc

As to the testing done with this antenna and another, and going only by their description of that testing, I would have to think that the testing is more subjective than objective. It's about as conclusive as any other "on the air" test. Just way too many variables for an objective, and repeatable test. That says nothing about the truthfulness of the test! Just keep in mind that it's advertising.
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.