Anyone familiar with Nest thermostat installs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with installation of a Nest thermostat and installing a C wire (common wire) for power and how it worked?

From what I have read, I can install one of these units without a C wire because the Nest thermostat has it's own battery but I have read many instances where the thermostat cycles your furnace due to a low battery.
Then many people with that problem have installed a 24VAC transformer to correct the cycling problem.

I'd also like to hear anyone's opinion on how the Nest thermostat works overall.

Thanks,
Steve in Central Vermont

Blackink

Update:
It's been awhile since I started this thread but for those that want to know:
I installed 2 Nest Thermostats 3rd Generation in my son's new condo (new to him but built in the 1980's). He has a natural gas boiler: hot water is forced through radiators. He has the upstairs and downstairs, both on separate boiler heating pipes hence the 2 thermostats.
No ac is installed or wired.
We decided to use 24VAC transformers to "make" a C wire as there was none coming from or wired to the furnace, just 2 thermostat wires were coming from the furnace/boiler pipe switches.

Installation was quick and easy and he has been using them now for 2 months without a bit of problems. The thermostats sync to his cell phone, he can make adjustments, if needed, wherever he is and not just at home.

He is quite pleased with their operation and is glad he invested in them.
He purchased the thermostats on a Black Friday deal through Kohl's Web site and got Kohl's cash as a discount and he got a rebate on both through Efficiency Vermont, so he only paid around $50 for each. List price is $249.00 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.