• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anyone familiar with Radio Shack TRC-495 CB?

gearhead1961

My latest Goodwill treasure has an issue and I am hoping that someone here might have some experience with this model of CB base station or have documentation in the form of a service manual or schematic.

When plugged into AC and powered on, there is a loud "machine gun" or "motorboating" sound coming from the speaker. The issue is still present with an external speaker and different microphones. When running on a 13.8 volt DC power supply, the noise goes away. I am guessing its a rectifier or capacitor problem.

I understand that this radio is a rebranded Cherokee CBS500 but other than that, I haven't seen much online about it.

Any observations (or a schematic!) would certainly be appreciated.

Neal KK7PCE

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Does the motorboating change with the volume setting? Motorboating is a symptom of poor voltage regulation. I am not familiar with the built-in power supply in that radio. Filter and decoupling capacitors and diodes are definitely worth checking. Also, see if there is a voltage regulator circuit. That could have defective components.

gearhead1961

Thanks for the very useful response. Yes, it does get a little louder if I increase the volume. I am no bench technician, just a hobbyist. If I can locate a manual and/or schematic, I am capable of checking components and replacing them if necessary. Anything beyond that is likely beyond my skill set.

IMG_20240819_094949_kindlephoto-3268351385.jpg

gearhead1961

Yes, there is a switch that selects internal AC power or DC. I have cleaned it with DeOxit and it made no difference. I will order up a replacement for C103 from Mouser and swap it out. Hope that corrects the issue. Thanks again for the assistance.

FPR1981

I've had a couple of the Cherokees. One of them was NIB/NOS.

They were a really nice "looking" radio. Performance was not on par with cosmetics. An absence of strong, clean modulation seems to be a frequent criticism of these radios, and both of mine were no exception.

KANE4109

From the sound of it, this one has reached the point where the talks about "re-capping" come up. Electrolytic capacitors have a "shelf life" and when they do all kinds of things go "wonky". The electrolyte dries up, the capacitor becomes more of a resistor than a capacitor but, sometimes they DO still act like a capacitor but usually change value.... AND LEAK. When this "aging" happens bad caps in audio circuits and filter sections have a habit of turning "audio amps" into "oscillators" and SOMETIMES.... just BARELY into oscillators. THAT is when you will hear things like "motorboating"... which is what the sound you are describing is called.
When re-cap enters the discussion you will usually find two basic camps of opinion.

One is, "we know that electrolytic capacitors age and dry up.... save money, time and frustration....just do them all at once and be done with it!"

The other is, "if it ain't broke don't fix it. Trouble shoot the problem you are having and change out ONLY THE ONE or ONES that are bad and leave the others alone".

Camp #1 says that you save money and time because you just sit down and change them ONE AT A TIME being sure of VALUES and POLARITIES and NOW you have nice fresh caps in every single position and ASSUMING you have done an accurate job... your radio will stand a better chance of working for years and years down the road.

Camp #2 says that there are RISKS. Risks involving a poorly done job (mislocated caps, mis-polarized caps, soldering accidents.... things of that ilk!). They also often say that the caps don't fail as Camp #1 says they do and that some of the caps that you replace will STILL be good and ALSO say that it is possible that you may be installing lower quality caps that may fail soon or just not last as long.

Each must decide for themselves as I KNOW FOR A FACT that MANY MANY Camp #1'ers have done cap swaps with glorious results but I am certain that there have likely been caps installed backwards and in wrong locations (by the way, you generally ONLY do electrolytic caps. The ones in the little aluminum cans!).

Camp #2's main objections are 1) possibility of risk, and 2) changing out caps that are still good.

Speaking about "possibility of risk".... this one is most often covered by.... "GOT TO BE CAREFUL"!!!! Do them one at a time, taking careful note of the polarity as they COME OUT and put them back in the same way. And I mean... LITERALLY... .do them ONE AT A TIME is the safe way to go. Desolder, look at the polarization marks AS you pull the part out, put the next one in the same direction, solder it, trim the leads... on to the next one. Another risk centers around "cheap/inferior parts". Yes you can buy bargain caps from questionable sources ... and of questionable brands..... and they may indeed be "crap". If you stick to brand names that are known and good.... they DONT COST THAT MUCH MORE.... and will last for years. I have personally re-capped SSB radios..... taking about 54 caps total and spent right at $30 for NAME BRANDS from Mouser.... and the job was fine. IF YOU BUY CHEAP...... you may not be satisfied. Make a good choice here.

Speaking about "caps that are still good".... reasonable people could assume that, if ONE cap is bad.... since they are all the same rough age.... OTHERS COULD BE BAD AND HIDING FROM YOU.... waiting to fail!!!! Is it possible that some of them may be good still???? Certainly!!!!!! Is the expense in changing them ALL out so great that you should not consider doing it??? Well..... an SBE Console V is about 54 electrolytic caps. I bought the kit from KlondikeMike for under $30 bucks and did them all at once. Now I KNOW they are all good and all the same age. Could one of the new caps fail prematurely? Certainly!!!!!!! There is that chance with anything.

It is just "up to you" to make the decision as to whether it is worth it to just "wholesale change them all"....but it sounds like your baby is "at that point in time. That just sounds like "something wrong due to a drying up or dried up electrolytic cap" type of problem. It IS a tedious job... I grant you that. But if your soldering skills are good... and you have patience on tap... one could possibly do the job. If not... there are technicians that will do this. It will cost money... but they have experience and the skills to do it already!!!!

Sorry that this got kindof long... but just wanted you to know what I think you are up against and, if you talk to other people about it, this little post may help you know "ahead of time" what is going on.

Personally... I think your radio is worth it. Every bit of it.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
From the sound of it, this one has reached the point where the talks about "re-capping" come up. Electrolytic capacitors have a "shelf life" and when they do all kinds of things go "wonky". The electrolyte dries up, the capacitor becomes more of a resistor than a capacitor but, sometimes they DO still act like a capacitor but usually change value.... AND LEAK. When this "aging" happens bad caps in audio circuits and filter sections have a habit of turning "audio amps" into "oscillators" and SOMETIMES.... just BARELY into oscillators. THAT is when you will hear things like "motorboating"... which is what the sound you are describing is called.
When re-cap enters the discussion you will usually find two basic camps of opinion.

One is, "we know that electrolytic capacitors age and dry up.... save money, time and frustration....just do them all at once and be done with it!"

The other is, "if it ain't broke don't fix it. Trouble shoot the problem you are having and change out ONLY THE ONE or ONES that are bad and leave the others alone".

Camp #1 says that you save money and time because you just sit down and change them ONE AT A TIME being sure of VALUES and POLARITIES and NOW you have nice fresh caps in every single position and ASSUMING you have done an accurate job... your radio will stand a better chance of working for years and years down the road.

Camp #2 says that there are RISKS. Risks involving a poorly done job (mislocated caps, mis-polarized caps, soldering accidents.... things of that ilk!). They also often say that the caps don't fail as Camp #1 says they do and that some of the caps that you replace will STILL be good and ALSO say that it is possible that you may be installing lower quality caps that may fail soon or just not last as long.

Each must decide for themselves as I KNOW FOR A FACT that MANY MANY Camp #1'ers have done cap swaps with glorious results but I am certain that there have likely been caps installed backwards and in wrong locations (by the way, you generally ONLY do electrolytic caps. The ones in the little aluminum cans!).

Camp #2's main objections are 1) possibility of risk, and 2) changing out caps that are still good.

Speaking about "possibility of risk".... this one is most often covered by.... "GOT TO BE CAREFUL"!!!! Do them one at a time, taking careful note of the polarity as they COME OUT and put them back in the same way. And I mean... LITERALLY... .do them ONE AT A TIME is the safe way to go. Desolder, look at the polarization marks AS you pull the part out, put the next one in the same direction, solder it, trim the leads... on to the next one. Another risk centers around "cheap/inferior parts". Yes you can buy bargain caps from questionable sources ... and of questionable brands..... and they may indeed be "crap". If you stick to brand names that are known and good.... they DONT COST THAT MUCH MORE.... and will last for years. I have personally re-capped SSB radios..... taking about 54 caps total and spent right at $30 for NAME BRANDS from Mouser.... and the job was fine. IF YOU BUY CHEAP...... you may not be satisfied. Make a good choice here.

Speaking about "caps that are still good".... reasonable people could assume that, if ONE cap is bad.... since they are all the same rough age.... OTHERS COULD BE BAD AND HIDING FROM YOU.... waiting to fail!!!! Is it possible that some of them may be good still???? Certainly!!!!!! Is the expense in changing them ALL out so great that you should not consider doing it??? Well..... an SBE Console V is about 54 electrolytic caps. I bought the kit from KlondikeMike for under $30 bucks and did them all at once. Now I KNOW they are all good and all the same age. Could one of the new caps fail prematurely? Certainly!!!!!!! There is that chance with anything.

It is just "up to you" to make the decision as to whether it is worth it to just "wholesale change them all"....but it sounds like your baby is "at that point in time. That just sounds like "something wrong due to a drying up or dried up electrolytic cap" type of problem. It IS a tedious job... I grant you that. But if your soldering skills are good... and you have patience on tap... one could possibly do the job. If not... there are technicians that will do this. It will cost money... but they have experience and the skills to do it already!!!!

Sorry that this got kindof long... but just wanted you to know what I think you are up against and, if you talk to other people about it, this little post may help you know "ahead of time" what is going on.

Personally... I think your radio is worth it. Every bit of it.

Well put. Took me years of reading around to have come to the same set of conclusions about what I might wish to have done with an older radio on this subject. Here’s hoping others can use this when looking at a radio they may wish to purchase.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Well put. Took me years of reading around to have come to the same set of conclusions about what I might wish to have done with an older radio on this subject. Here’s hoping others can use this when looking at a radio they may wish to purchase.

Here’s a good example where TX looks nice. High quality components on a rare circuit board. Re-cap or not?

tramd

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 16-21-28 Realistic TRC 495 tune up info. TRC495 WorldwideDX Radio Forum.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 16-21-28 Realistic TRC 495 tune up info. TRC495 WorldwideDX Radio Forum.png
    95.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

gearhead1961

Update - The C103 capacitor arrived and I finally had an opportunity to change it out. Unfortunately this had no impact on the motorboating problem. Since I have been unsuccessful in locating a schematic, I guess I will start replacing all of the capacitors that appear to be in the power supply area and hope that one of them resolves the issue.