ANYONE?? FEDERAL AND STATE LAW ENFORCEMENT FREQUENCIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomcrow

Retired LE
I am looking for anyone who has an updated list of frequencies for the Luzerne and Lackawanna County area of Pennsylvania. I have enjoyed monitoring federal and state law enforcement agencies. If anyone on here has any data for any federal or state agencies ie., Fbi, Dea, Homeland Security, etc, Pennsylvania state Attorney General, state police barracks R, and P vice, narcotics, major crimes, it would be appreciated. I've been searching and have some but not all. I don't care if they are encrypted or not because I like to know who is active or not. I already have RR database but hoping someone has some TGs or frequency that aren't listed yet, thanks in advance

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
PSP is encrypted, some of the other state agencies you mentioned like narcotics Major Crimes and attorney general also will not be in the clear. Most sensitive Federal frequencies everywhere are now encrypted.

Because they are encrypted it's hard to keep track of who they are, what's the point? You can check out the different threads in the Pennsylvania Forum regarding the new p25 Statewide system. Good luck.

phantomcrow

Retired LE
Thank you I'm aware that psp etc are encrypted that's why I mentioned it in my question. Believe it or not I still log radio IDs and TGs, I like to know who's working and active and what my tax dollars are being spent on. I still don't believe that some of these agencies even utilize their services because they are silent.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
I already have RR database but hoping someone has some TGs or frequency that aren't listed yet, thanks in advance

The only way to find those is to search. Using a list of frequencies misses anything new that might come up. And yes, they are likely to be encrypted, but sometimes they are not. It happens more often that you might think.

Start by using your radios search function and search 162.0 to 174.0 and 400.0 to 420.0 MHz and see what pops up.

- Chris

ecps92

You are best to spend sometime in SEARCH mode of the various Federal Bands to determine your LOCAL activity
137-144, 148-150.700, 162-174, 380-400, 400-420

as what is heard in one area, maybe different in your back-yard and ENC vs CLR varies widely
across the country.
I am looking for anyone who has an updated list of frequencies for the Luzerne and Lackawanna County area of Pennsylvania. I have enjoyed monitoring federal and state law enforcement agencies. If anyone on here has any data for any federal or state agencies ie., Fbi, Dea, Homeland Security, etc, Pennsylvania state Attorney General, state police barracks R, and P vice, narcotics, major crimes, it would be appreciated. I've been searching and have some but not all. I don't care if they are encrypted or not because I like to know who is active or not. I already have RR database but hoping someone has some TGs or frequency that aren't listed yet, thanks in advance

phantomcrow

Retired LE
Actually I'll go further, it gets me ticked off knowing that some of these agencies don't use two way communications that our state spent all this darn money on. For instance, the Attorney General, specialized PSP units are never even heard no radio IDs or tgs... doesn't even use their network nor does a lot of others, I want to know whether encrypted or not and sometimes they don't use encryption on certain systems

phantomcrow

Retired LE
You are best to spend sometime in SEARCH mode of the various Federal Bands to determine your LOCAL activity
137-144, 148-150.700, 162-174, 380-400, 400-420

as what is heard in one area, maybe different in your back-yard and ENC vs CLR varies widely
across the country.
Going to dedicate one of my scanner this week to nothing but searching, don't forget our state uses 700 and 800 as well so I'll have to look for those in the trunked P25 system

ecps92

Don't mix and match - you posted this in the Federal Forums and altho some Federal Agencies do [varies across our Nation]
access to Local/County/Regional and Statewide networks, they generally do maintain their own RF/LMR Networks, so to lump them
in with the lack of a State Agency using or not using a network would be a bad comparison.

Federal Operations vary on the Op-Tempo and do not always require the use of a two-way radio.

Actually I'll go further, it gets me ticked off knowing that some of these agencies don't use two way communications that our state spent all this darn money on. For instance, the Attorney General, specialized PSP units are never even heard no radio IDs or tgs... doesn't even use their network nor does a lot of others, I want to know whether encrypted or not and sometimes they don't use encryption on certain systems

ecps92

Federal Agencies would not be Allocated NTIA Licenses for 700/800 , those are restricted to Local/County/State etc agencies handled thru the FCC. That does not preclude them being invited to "share" access on those networks, but [YMMV] I've only encountered less than a handful of those networks being used by Federal Agencies.
Going to dedicate one of my scanner this week to nothing but searching, don't forget our state uses 700 and 800 as well so I'll have to look for those in the trunked P25 system

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Federal Agencies would not be Allocated NTIA Licenses for 700/800 , those are restricted to Local/County/State etc agencies handled thru the FCC. That does not preclude them being invited to "share" access on those networks, but [YMMV] I've only encountered less than a handful of those networks being used by Federal Agencies.

On the NC statewide system the feds are constantly on the system, with and without locals.

phantomcrow

Retired LE
Don't mix and match - you posted this in the Federal Forums and altho some Federal Agencies do [varies across our Nation]
access to Local/County/Regional and Statewide networks, they generally do maintain their own RF/LMR Networks, so to lump them
in with the lack of a State Agency using or not using a network would be a bad comparison.

Federal Operations vary on the Op-Tempo and do not always require the use of a two-way radio.
I have never heard our local Dea
On the NC statewide system the feds are constantly on the system, with and without locals.
Same here we have tons of interoperability frequency both of them use especially task forces etc

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
When I worked for the Feds, agents were not assigned portable radios. The GS and above were, but they usually just occupied space in their offices. We didn't get into our government cars and clear on the radio that we were in service and take radio calls. A simple majority of our government cars didn't have two way radios. If you needed a portable radio, you went to tech services and checked one out. We used landlines a lot and cell phones somewhat.

The great majority of our work came from other agency [city, county, state, and other Fed referrals] requests for research, intelligence, personnel, technical support, or to reach into places that they could not. One such search warrant took many months of office work, research, intelligence gathering/analysis/dissemination, etc. before we got into vehicles and drove across the state to do the op.

The only time we keyed up the repeaters was during search warrants, some surveillances [encrypted], or during other prior notice special actions.

CBP freqs near the ports of entry and along the southern border with Mexico are always busy. BLM LE are busy here too. I've never heard the Fish & Wildlife Service [they have an office here], or the USAFOSI [they used to have a detachment here]. The VA police are almost never heard here. The big three are all encrypted, but their repeaters do make telephone dialing/switching or other noises occasionally. A lot depends where you live and listen.

phantomcrow

Retired LE
Our local FBI is on their two way radio at least 3 times per week all encrypted, I never hear anything but them or at least the garbled voice. Like you said they do use them but in several years I haven't too much I'm going to search to see what comes up, I was just hoping that with all the people on here someone would be of help

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So original poster, I'm an old Federal frequency listener from wayback in Pennsylvania. I remember when the DEA was on 418 megahertz in the clear back in the 80s. Never anything interesting just stuff like give me a call. Probably right before bag phones. I remember the 160 megahertz FBI frequencies. Same deal, very careful what they said.

As far as Pennsylvania wasting money... Don't be too upset... They really waste a lot of money. They used the Open Sky system for years or as we call it the open scam system for State functions including PSP. It's not that it's encrypted there's just no scanner that can pick up that system. Thankfully they kept their VHF High radios in service because they ended up using them a lot when the open Sky didn't work and VHF High was in the clear. They still use them today in the Philly area. Terrible waste of money, I think about 35 million dollars and now they've built out their p25 system which I don't know the cost of. PSP and other agencies are strapped. DOT is in the clear

Finally as far as activity goes with the attorney general and narcotics both state and Federal, it's really Philadelphia, Pittsburgh where you're going to see some activity. I don't think Scranton Wilkes-Barre area is the Hub of organized crime and drugs. Chances are there's not that much activity as opposed to maybe Philly.

Be sure to check out the new Statewide system carefully, there's a lot of people who have done good work documenting that system, encrypted or not. Good luck with your search! Sounds interesting.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You have to understand those agencies didn't buy their radios (whether they use them or not) to keep you informed. Also, the bands they operate on are subject to a lot of interference so they may not be all that dependable. Most of us have learned to live with it.

phantomcrow

Retired LE
So original poster, I'm an old Federal frequency listener from wayback in Pennsylvania. I remember when the DEA was on 418 megahertz in the clear back in the 80s. Never anything interesting just stuff like give me a call. Probably right before bag phones. I remember the 160 megahertz FBI frequencies. Same deal, very careful what they said.

As far as Pennsylvania wasting money... Don't be too upset... They really waste a lot of money. They used the Open Sky system for years or as we call it the open scam system for State functions including PSP. It's not that it's encrypted there's just no scanner that can pick up that system. Thankfully they kept their VHF High radios in service because they ended up using them a lot when the open Sky didn't work and VHF High was in the clear. They still use them today in the Philly area. Terrible waste of money, I think about 35 million dollars and now they've built out their p25 system which I don't know the cost of. PSP and other agencies are strapped. DOT is in the clear

Finally as far as activity goes with the attorney general and narcotics both state and Federal, it's really Philadelphia, Pittsburgh where you're going to see some activity. I don't think Scranton Wilkes-Barre area is the Hub of organized crime and drugs. Chances are there's not that much activity as opposed to maybe Philly.

Be sure to check out the new Statewide system carefully, there's a lot of people who have done good work documenting that system, encrypted or not. Good luck with your search! Sounds interesting.
***( SORRY ABOUT CAPS/ETC MY KEYBOARD IS ACTING UP)***

your correct PSP switched to a full digital P25 system year ot two ago every PSP channel is fully strapped encrypted. Our local FBI uses 170mhz daily. DEA havent heard anything in years but yes it was 400mhz. PA wasted millions on OPENCRAP system....Thats where I disagree Scranton is the HUB for drugs and violent gangs coming from NY,NJ and Philly we have more action here than you can imagine, however, brings me to the point not hearing much. They may be using Nextel style or LTE two ways but during surveillance and raids etc they must be transmitting on something. Like I said I know lots of money is being spent on these radios AND THIS SYSTEM BUT STILL CANT HEAR ANYTHING EVEN ENCRYPTED. ARE THESE Radios sitting in a room unused? I'm SETTING UP NOW FOR A THROUGH SEARCH IN THE RELEVANT BANDS AND WILL REPORT MY FINDINGS IN A FEW WEEKS. iF SOMEONE KEYS UP IN THIS AREA I'm GOING O KNOW ABOUT IT. i ALWAYS JUST SCANNED MY LISTS BUT THANKS TO SUGGESTIONS ill TRY THIS.

Mattnik

Database Admin

You're about 20 years too late for your argument to make much difference, FWIW. I work in public safety comms, so I see both sides of this issue, but agencies have been sleepwalking towards full encryption since 12 September 2001. Most radios our agencies purchase (I'm peripherally involved) such as the APX are shipped with the boards installed whether used or not. With the feds this is CERTAINLY the case. I purchased some federal surplus ASTRO SPECTRA stuff last year on Ebay, and you guessed it, AES-256 boards installed, never used. All it takes now is the political will and a KVL3k. The time for raising a stink was twenty years ago. It's too late now.

Listen to the other posters above. Their advise is solid. There's more than one way to get information.

Happy listening, and remember, it's a hobby. Don't take it too seriously!

Matt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.