Anyone good at getting a Raspberry Pi 4 B to work as a SpyServer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
So recently, I purchased a Raspberry Bi 4B, I loaded on the lastest build. I purchased an additional RTL-SDR.com blog tuner to use, with the intentions of making it a public SDR on the SpyServer Network. My issue is that it connects to the network, but its 'unavailable". I followed all the instructions, but I am hitting a brick wall and don't know where to turn. I keep getting the error "[R82XX] PLL not locked!". The tuner works good in GQRX, I'm just having issues with getting it to work as a SpyServer. Any help would be much appreciated.

a417

I keep getting the error "[R82XX] PLL not locked!".
In the linux RTL-SDR tuner world that is usually means that the RTL dongle can't lock on to whatever frequency you are telling it to go to. Could be out of device range, a tuning error, bad config settings...

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help. I thought all mine were right. I’ll go through those and see what I have to change. I new to this whole Linux/pi thing so if it is anything different from what YouTube or the instructions say, I’m kinda lost

a417

the device will say that in the course of starting up in most programs. When i launch rtl_fm -blahblahblah or rtl_tcp -a10.0.69.1 -p6969 on my streaming server it blurts that out then tunes the device in or moves on.

are you getting that error once or is it filling your terminal window?

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Filling the screen if it let it go. I’m starting to think I’m missing a step here. Do you open rtl_fm, then spyserver, or is spyserver standalone? Because I’ve just been opening up spyserver to try and start the hosting

morfis

Just spyserver.
Haven't used it in a couple of years and from memory it was a straightforward install.
Have you put a meaningful default frequency in the config?

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I went back through some of the tutorial instructions and changed mine a bit. Modified the min and max perimeters too, still no go

a417

I've never used Spyserver, but i've beat the hell out of some RTLs on Linux for quite a while. Can you post your config for Spyserver so some fresh eyes can make sure you're not making an obvious mistake?

ak716

Premium Subscriber
# SPY Server Configuration File

# TCP Listener
#
bind_host = 0.0.0.0
bind_port = 5555-6666

# List Server in Airspy Directory
#
list_in_directory = 1

# Owner Name
# For example: John Doe L8ZEE
owner_name = AK

# Owner email
# For example: john@doe.com
owner_email =

# Antenna
# For example: Random Wire/Magnetic Loop/Mini-Whip/Inverted V/etc.
antenna_type = RTL-SDR Blog Dipole

# Antenna Location
# For example: 48.858332, 2.294560
antenna_location = 42.767261, -78.743671

# General Description
#
general_description =

# User sessions
#
maximum_clients = 2

# Maximum session duration
# In minutes. 0 for no limit
#
#maximum_session_duration = 60

# Allow clients to retune and change of gain of the device
#
allow_control = 1

# Device Type
# Possible Values:
# AirspyOne (R0, R2, Mini)
# AirspyHF+
# RTL-SDR
# Auto (Scans for the first available device)
#
device_type = RTL-SDR

# Device Serial Number as 64bit Hex
# For example: 0xDD52D95C904534AD
# A value of 0 will acquire the first available device.
#
device_serial = 0

# Device Sample Rate
# Possible Values:
# Airspy R0, R2 : 10000000 or 2500000
# Airspy Mini : 6000000 or 3000000
# Airspy HF+ : 768000
# RTL-SDR : 500000 to 3200000
# Comment to use the device's default
#
#device_sample_rate = 2500000

# Force 8bit Compression Mode
# The 8bit Compression mode has proven sufficiently good for most streaming use cases.
# Use it to same some internet bandwidth.
#
#force_8bit = 1

# Maximum Bandwidth
# Limits the maximum IQ bandwidth the clients can set
# Recommended value for WFM is 200000
# Recommended value for narrow band modes is 15000
#
#maximum_bandwidth = 15000

# FFT Frames Per Second
#
fft_fps = 10

# FFT Bins
# Bins = 2^fft_bin_bits
#
fft_bin_bits = 16

# Initial Center Frequency
#
#initial_frequency = 150000000

# Minimum Tunable Frequency
# Comment if using the device default
#
#minimum_frequency = 300000000

# Maximum Tunable Frequency
# Comment if using the device default
#
#maximum_frequency = 11000000000

# Frequency Correction in PPB
#
#frequency_correction_ppb = 0

# Initial Gain
#
#initial_gain = 10

# RTL-SDR Sampling mode
# Quadrature = 0,
# Direct Sampling I Branch = 1
# Direct Sampling Q Branch = 2
#rtl_sampling_mode = 2

# Converter Offset
# Set to -120000000 to enable the SpyVerter offset
#converter_offset = -120000000

# Bias-Tee
# For AirspyOne only - Useful for LNA's and SpyVerter
#enable_bias_tee = 0

# Buffer Size (in milliseconds)
#
buffer_size_ms = 50

# Buffer Count
#
buffer_count = 10

a417

(admittedly not a SpyServer user, buuuuut...) nearly all those settings are commented out. Is that intentional? I don't see any actual instruction to set a frequency?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
(admittedly not a SpyServer user, buuuuut...) nearly all those settings are commented out. Is that intentional? I don't see any actual instruction to set a frequency?

Yes, that's typical. There are default values, and the defauls usually work fine.

You dont' have to set any frequency. After all, once it is running you connect to it via SDRSharp and set whatever frequency you want.

The OP has simply left out a lot of key details. What reports unavailable? Does unavailable mean he cannot connect to it? Does unavailable mean he sees/gets a message from somewhere saying it is unavailable? Is it unavailable because he hasn't opened the appropriate port(s) on his machine for external access? Is the device running the spyserver NAT'd? And is he is trying to access it from the other side of a router (like remotely over the internet)? Way too little information to go on.

Mike

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that's typical. There are default values, and the defauls usually work fine.

You dont' have to set any frequency. After all, once it is running you connect to it via SDRSharp and set whatever frequency you want.

The OP has simply left out a lot of key details. What reports unavailable? Does unavailable mean he cannot connect to it? Does unavailable mean he sees/gets a message from somewhere saying it is unavailable? Is it unavailable because he hasn't opened the appropriate port(s) on his machine for external access? Is the device running the spyserver NAT'd? And is he is trying to access it from the other side of a router (like remotely over the internet)? Way too little information to go on.

Mike

I set frequencies within the perameters of what the tuner can do, centering it in the VHF-Hi spectrum. I guess it needs a place to start before I can be controlled?

Specifically when I open up SpyServer on the Pi to attempt to start hosting, I get Found Rafel Micro R820T Tuner, then [R820XX] PLL not locked. When the tuner isn't plugged in, it doesn't even get that far (obviously). If I were to have RTL_FM open, and then open SpyServer, I'd get an error that its already in use, so the device is not being claimed by a different program and appears to have the right drivers in because it works elsewhere on the Pi (ie RTL_FM). Pi is setup on my home wifi, with the intention to have the tuner shared to the SpyServer. Ports are open to the best of my knowledge, as I opened up 5555, but from what I gathered, it for if I wanted to access it on my own network instead of SpyServer's Server. You lost me at the NAT'd...

a417

If I were to have RTL_FM open, and then open SpyServer, I'd get an error that its already in use, so the device is not being claimed by a different program and appears to have the right drivers in because it works elsewhere on the Pi (ie RTL_FM).
That's exactly what should happen, the device can only be controlled by a singular process at a time. If you run rtl_test do you get logical output?

NAT is Network Address Translation, but lets walk before we run, and I want to make sure that the RTL_SDR is actually working, and that the PLL NOT LOCKED error isn't fatal. I see it once every time I launch a new process controlling it, but I'm not sure how SpyServer interacts with it.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Yes. Not sure if it mattered, but I noticed my gain value was not one of the “supported” values, so I just changed that and still no bueno

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 4.32.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 4.32.28 PM.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 4.34.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 4.34.32 PM.png
    217.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

SaSal

Can you try to set a initial frequency for a test purpose ?
Further, if you just ignore the not locked, think of it as just that the RTL is parked -have you then tried to connect to it on a separate machine ?

Last edited:

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Can you try to set a initial frequency for a test purpose ?
Further, if you just ignore the not locked, think of it as just that the RTL is parked -have you then tried to connect to it on a separate machine ?

I tried setting a frequency, no go. You mentioning it running on another computer got me thinking though. I tried it on my window computer and ran into a firewall issue (apparently I didn't understand how to open up the ports).... low and behold... open up port 5555 the proper way,(not the way I thought was right... stupid provider modem/router) which I then changed it from the PC to the Pi, BOOM, online. I still get the PLL not locked, but I was able to connect to it with no problem. It may sound stupid, but thanks! You got me thinking elsewhere instead of the Pi. Dumb mistake on my end on not being a network guy and not understanding on how to open up ports for port forwarding.

SaSal

Aye, that was where everything was heading to next to check. There is a difference between opening ports and forwarding ports, and good to see just giving a change a go - you would be surprised how many just don't try anything. Glad you got it all up and running, that's 1 item off the to do list for you ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.