Anyone have a MFJ-1422?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
Where is the antenna mounted, and is it permanently mounted or are you using a mag mount? What type of coax are you using?

I have an MFJ 1414 on a mag mount. I started by seating both parts of the antenna all the way down in the ferrules, and tuned by raising the sections an 1/8" at a time, which gave me a 1.2:1 SWR.

I started with the bottom section, and then did the top section. I tuned it at 146MHz, and by the time i was done, the 70cm SWR was at a 1.3:1. If all else fails, see if you can find someone with an antenna tuner to help you. I don't know that i'd start trimming the antenna unless all other avenues had been exhausted first.

Just my $.02

bluestallion

The antenna is mounted to a coment hatch mount and its mounted on rear hatch of my jeep patriot. i scraped the paint off where the set screws touch the body

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
Can you post some pics of your antenna install? Also, what's the model number of the Comet mount?

Last edited:

W2PMX

To find out which way to go, bring your hand near the antenna while you're transmitting (only near enough to see the SWR change a little). If the SWR goes up the antenna is too long. If it goes down the antenna is too short.

SCPD

QRT
Mighty Fine Junk .. enough said. I would get a different antenna. I went from a MFJ dual band antenna to a Comet dual band and there is a world of difference. I can hear stations now that I couldn't dream of getting on the MFJ.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Mighty Fine Junk .. enough said. I would get a different antenna. I went from a MFJ dual band antenna to a Comet dual band and there is a world of difference. I can hear stations now that I couldn't dream of getting on the MFJ.

Yea anything but MFJ. Larsen, sinclab madras, PCTel but never ever MFJ. Larsen is my personal choice, not going to change now, they work well and no complaints here for Larsen

SCPD

QRT
Yea anything but MFJ. Larsen, sinclab madras, PCTel but never ever MFJ. Larsen is my personal choice, not going to change now, they work well and no complaints here for Larsen

I have a Larsen 2m antenna on my car .. it seems to work well. They are more expensive but I really don't mind that as they make a very durable product.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Not madras, but Maxrad

W2PMX

My Larsen 2/440 mag mount is definitely more than 12 years old (I haven't bought anything for VHF in at least 12 years), and it still looks and performs like new (SWR still around 1.2:1 on both bands and I haven't changed anything in years). There's a difference between quality and lack of it. If you have to buy a new cheap antenna every few years, it's not really cheap.

bluestallion

Im going to try to adjust it tomorrow. This is just from mounting the antenna. I have not tried to adjust it yet, but will try tomorrow

What are you using to measure your SWR with? A CB type meter will not read correctly at VHF/UHF frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.