Logs Anyone have a Microsoft Access Database or Excel Workbook for SWL Logging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
Back in June 2011, there was a thread where three or four members were posting links to their SWL Logbooks that were based on Microsoft Excel. That thread has long since been closed and the links to the logbooks are no longer valid. The thread was:

So I was wondering, now in the year 2020, if anyone has made or knows about a FREE Microsoft Access Database or Excel Workbook for SWL Logging that they would care to share? I collect SWL logbook applications that are freeware or shareware to tell others about when they enter the hobby of Shortwave Listening (SWL). If you have made such a logbook or know of such a logbook, I would very much like to know about it. If you want to make it publicly known, feel free to post about it in this thread. If you want to keep it somewhat quiet but don't mind giving it away to newcomers to the SWL hobby, please contact me via Private Message (PM).

Finally, there is one SWL Logbook application that is not Microsoft Access or Microsoft Excel but is still free and is very good. That application is listed below. If you know of any other SWL Logging applications that are FREE (not just a trial but 100% free), I would also like to know about them too.

Thanks everyone for your assistance!

richardbritt

Database Admin
It looks like it was written in Microsoft Access. In Access you can write standalone "programs" and share them with people who do not have Access on their computers to run them. They run as if they are separate programs. Looks like the one on the KB6IBB site was done like that.

Dbase was great for this also.

Excel I don't know much about. I helped to develop and maintain a very large Access standalone program years ago (over 10 years ago) for the U.S government.

Regards Richard

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Google Forms might be worth a look. It's a relatively easy interface and stores to a Google Sheet (their version of Excel-exportable as an Excel file.) With third party addons, it can be searchable by any number of variables. It can be shared with whomever you like. I know you're looking for something that was already completed, but sometimes building what you're looking for is just as much fun as using the finished product.

I had been working on a tracking program for the Boston Marathon until I learned that the third party add-on wasn't eligible for a BAA, making the project non-HIPAA compliant. There are three components-the entry form, the spreadsheet and the search page.

Entry Form: Boston Marathon Transport Tracking

Spreadsheet: Event Transport Tracking (Responses)

Search Page: eventdb

None of the information in this post or data in the links provided contain actual patient information.

EDIT:

The only thing that has to be created is the form. The spreadsheet is automatically created and populated. The search uses a third party addon called Awesome Table

Last edited:

W8WCA

Nothing much but you can adjust it as you like

Oops I Sorry I cannot attach a xcell file and I tried to take the .xls off but it will not take that either

I made a pdf for what use it could be (not much sorry to say)

Attachments

• SWL.pdf
    5.7 KB · Views: 22

K4EET

Chaplain
@richardbritt, thanks for the reply. I did not realize that the KB6IBB logbook was possibly Microsoft Access based. I have been dabbling with some Microsoft Access databases and converting them to the Maria Database structure, which is a variant of the MySQL database so that it will be more efficient..

phask

Premium Subscriber
If it was me :) I'd just create my own spreadsheet based log. Either , Excel, Google, or OpenOffice would all be more than adequate. That way you would have whatever fields YOU want.

Access, IMHO would be much better if you are serious/avid SWL'r. Access does have a learning curve.

I had years of Database experience in another life and would prefer it, the problem is I have no reason now to use it and have forgotten more than I know. I also don't do any SWL anymore.

A quick search showed dozens of programs, though many are also HAM logs. Way too many to even bother to look at. But I'd never be happy with someone else's data system.

K4EET

Chaplain
@Citywide173, thanks for your suggestion. With my disability (MELAS), I don't believe that I could design out a good SWL Logbook structure on any platform anymore. That is disappointing but a reality of my life. In the past, I would have designed it in Microsoft Access or something accommodating. Nowadays, I am just looking to see what might be already available like the KB6IBB Logbook which is very well written.

K4EET

Chaplain
If it was me :) I'd just create my own spreadsheet based log. Either , Excel, Google, or OpenOffice would all be more than adequate. That way you would have whatever fields YOU want.

Access, IMHO would be much better if you are serious/avid SWL'r. <snip>
Agree 100% with you there.

A quick search showed dozens of programs, though many are also HAM logs. Way too many to even bother to look at. But I'd never be happy with someone else's data system.
You are correct there too. The ones like Ham Radio Deluxe, N3FJP Amateur Contact Log, etc. are just not made for the shortwave listener.

What I was hoping to find was some folks that had a SWL Logbook that might be in existence on their hard drives that was not published. LOL! You never know what you will find. I'm sure there are some real gems out there that we don't know about. :ROFLMAO:

K4EET

Chaplain
I tried to post a Excel SWL log file but cannot post one!

Iwill try to figure out a public Google drive file for you
Did you use the "Attach files" button in the bottom left of the dialog box? Note the acceptable file formats. You will need to ZIP the Microsoft Excel file before you can attach it to your post.

ScubaJungle

I don't have any contributions, but with my first HF radio not too far away, this would be a great resource for me. Of course, I'd be happy to add to the logs as well.

K4EET

Chaplain
I don't have any contributions, but with my first HF radio not too far away, this would be a great resource for me. Of course, I'd be happy to add to the logs as well.
For your case, you will want an Amateur Radio Logbook since you will be transmitting, right? We should start a separate thread on that and not under the "Shortwave Broadcast" section. Let me know if I am wrong and if I am correct, you or I can start the new thread.

W8WCA

For your case, you will want an Amateur Radio Logbook since you will be transmitting, right? We should start a separate thread on that and not under the "Shortwave Broadcast" section. Let me know if I am wrong and if I am correct, you or I can start the new thread.

If you want something changed a bit - PM Me and I will fit it for you!

ScubaJungle

Well, that is a great idea also! But specifically in relation to this, I am interested in non-amateur SWL too. That is probably what I'll be spending most of my time doing until I sign up for the test to upgrade.

K4EET

Chaplain
Well, that is a great idea also! But specifically in relation to this, I am interested in non-amateur SWL too. That is probably what I'll be spending most of my time doing until I sign up for the test to upgrade.
We'll just hold off on the new thread for a while then. For now, I would encourage you to download the FREE KB6IBB SWL Logger as it is the best I've found thus far because in addition to the logging feature, it also has the shortwave broadcast schedule feature. Very comprehensive! Here are some screenshots:

Status
Not open for further replies.