Logs Anyone have a Microsoft Access Database or Excel Workbook for SWL Logging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaJungle

It's a neat little program. Another idea would be to have a master excel sheet formatted properly to be able to be imported into the access program, maybe through google docs or something similar, and sticky it in this forum. This way everyone can add whatever they find, and then people who use this Access program can also import everything, but also so that people who dont can still have access/add their findings.

K4EET

Chaplain
It's a neat little program. Another idea would be to have a master excel sheet formatted properly to be able to be imported into the access program, maybe through google docs or something similar, and sticky it in this forum. This way everyone can add whatever they find, and then people who use this Access program can also import everything, but also so that people who dont can still have access/add their findings.
Great idea! They who comes up with said great idea gets to implement said great idea... Congratulations! :oops: :ROFLMAO:

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Each time I hear someone using Access, I cringe.

majoco

Stirrer
I think I might have a look at making a PDF form with the fill-in squares - just TAB through each highlighted square and fill in the data - it could even have a pic on it and you could print it and send it off as your QSL card........ hmmm.... hope for a rainy day :)

K4EET

Chaplain
@majoco Martin, splendid idea! If you post your final product here once you are done developing the sheet, I'll include it in the samples that I plan to catalog here or on Google Drive. I want to pull together SWL Logging ideas from simple to complex for folks to either get ideas from or choose from to use.

Cheers my friend! Dave K4EET

majoco

Stirrer
Now you got my brain working....

I remember from way back when I first got a Winradio G303 I had a programme called "RDBM" which ran quite well. You could make your own database and keep a log book. I dug around and found it on an old laptop. It loads a pre-loaded database to start up, but I have made my own by fiddling around in Excel which works well - HOWEVER - if you make a blank screen, by tapping "Enter" you can make a log file. Pics shown below and I have all the programme anad data files zipped if anybody wants them. The beauty if it is that it will control the G303 and my G33DDC and it has a built in scanner! You can read the data with Excel and make your own from EiBi.

A sample data screen...

RFDS screen.jpg

A blank logging screen...

RDBM fillin screen.jpg

and the data entry form...

Fill-in Screen.jpg

One problem that took me a while to suss out - an error message pops up "Wrong date format" - it took me a while to find out that it wants a European date - Year - month -day..... !

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
LIbreOffice is a FREE MS Office clone that works excellent! It includes a database program that is child's play to use, and to create your own custom data entry screens, reports etc. Download it, play around with it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! You'll be finding new uses for it in no time.

LibreOffice

Here are some examples on YouTube

K4EET

Chaplain
LIbreOffice is a FREE MS Office clone that works excellent! It includes a database program that is child's play to use, and to create your own custom data entry screens, reports etc. <snip>
Thanks for the reminder. I had LibreOffice (v)6.1 and just updated it to Version 6.4.4.2 with all of the bells and whistles. I'll give the database program a test drive later this evening.

K4EET

Chaplain
@majoco Hey Martin, you have NOT wasted my time! Guess what??? Look at this:

The way that I got it to run on a Windows 10 machine was to run the WinRadio G303 program as an Administrator AND in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack (SP) 3. That did the trick and everything works as it should!

Cheers my friend! Dave K4EET

majoco

Stirrer
Well done, Dave, you'll have endless fun with that! Perhaps you could distribute the programme through the US instead of having all the hassle with gmail!

Cheers - Martin

K4EET

Chaplain
Well done, Dave, you'll have endless fun with that! Perhaps you could distribute the programme through the US instead of having all the hassle with gmail!

Cheers - Martin
Yes Martin, I am going to explore the program's features for a while and then I might contact the original coder of RDBM, Victor Manuel Fonseca. I would like to see if he has ported his application to Windows 10 as a standalone SWL Logger. He has a good application and there are only a few Windows applications like his with those features. He may be willing to fill that niche market in the SWL realm as a standalone product of his. Just maybe... Cheers! Dave K4EET

majoco

Stirrer
Been there, done that - there is no mention of him anywhere since about 2012. I don't know whether he is Italian or Maltese - Fonseca is a common name around that area but also Portugal. There's a lot of mystery bits in that program - you have already found the strange "Freq.exe" programme!

Cheers - Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.