Yaesu: Anyone have an FTM-300DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrweather

Thanks for the confirmation. Why would Yaesu remove this functionality when nearly every radio they made before had it? Boggles the mind.

If it's really as simple as a firmware update, here's hoping they make it right in the next release.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Why would Yaesu remove this functionality when nearly every radio they made before had it?
You could ask the same question regarding the lack of memory banking features in the FTM-400D.

N4DJC

The Priority Memory Group feature acts similar to a memory bank, any memory can be tagged for the feature and still remain in another memory group. I used it for non amateur frequencies.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Of course my purchase now guarantees Yaesu coming out with an FTM-500 next week!
Can anyone confirm that the FTM-500 has a 17" x 11" display?
:)

Ok, I do have a question about the FTM-300DR. Does it or does it not have cross-band repeat?

wcsd45

Opted for 300 in shack, the smaller screen being easy enough to read in shack. Moved my 400 to vehicle since its display is larger and IMHO safer mobile operation since less struggle to read display, less driving distraction.

My observation is that airband AM Rx on 400 is superior, using both rigs on same shack antenna system; this a bit of a disappointment since I enjoy airband scanning of local frequencies in shack along with V/UHF RT Systems programmed memories.

FWIW, I was able to pair Blue Parrot B550-XT headset with 300. Had not tried this with 400, since I prefer vehicle aux-in audio from rig while in car.

Standard YMMV advice.

73 and good luck, Chuck KC9QBY

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Wait what?! That totally sucks. I was considering buying a 300 for the shack so I could monitor C4FM on both sides, fixed on one and scanning with the other side. The fixed frequency would be for C4FM and the scanning would be whatever, AM, FM, C4FM. Ughh...I guess I could get another radio and use a diplexer. Total suck.
> As noted by others, the 300 allows C4FM in either VFO (upper or lower), but NOT simultaneously... it will receive only the selected one if both are active.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I was considering buying a 300 for the shack so I could monitor C4FM on both sides, fixed on one and scanning with the other side.
That should work. You just can't hear two separate C4FM transmissions at the same time, as the first one received will take priority, but you should be able to scan for AM, FM, and C4FM on both VFO's. You could also use the MCS feature that scans multiple channels very quickly.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
First received signal would be acceptable for my use, so that's good.

Hmm...for the Fusion network I just read it needs the HRI-200 as well versus just a cable to a PC running Wires-X like the 400. I don't really need to host my own room, so that sort of sucks due to the need of a different IP and ports opened for the HRI-200...when one is running another HRI-200, or two already (Yes, that is very non-typical). One wonders if Yaesu still has any of their toes after shooting themselves in the foot so often. They eliminated the need for the HRI-200 boondongle and now added it back? I guess they need to sell the HRI-200's they have laying around.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I just read it needs the HRI-200 as well versus just a cable to a PC running Wires-X like the 400.
Not sure that's accurate. I don't use a Fusion set-up, but I'm pretty sure that you can configure a Portable Digital Node (PDN) with just a cable set to interface the rig with the PC... no HRI-200 necessary. Confirmed: PDN is listed in the manual as part of the feature set of the FTM-300.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm...the wires x manual noted the HRI-200. I hope the HRI is not needed for node mode. Someone may have a video. We have been using Fusion simplex of late which is my reason for RX on both sides. We shall see.

wcsd45

On FTM-300, using PDN mode here regularly without HRI-200. Believe the HRI-200 is necessary if you want to host your own room. No problem accessing listed rooms in Wires-X software.

73, Chuck KC9QBY

MFG_rrt

I have the 300DR and I love it. I chose it over the 400 because I did NOT want a touchscreen, especially in a mobile where I'm more likely to hit it with something else. Also, I'm not a fan of touchscreens in general since it's a failure point for not being able to use the radio for the most part. I really like the 300, the AMS (automatic mode select) is very neat and works well. I have an external speaker hooked up so I can't comment on the internal one, but I like mine so much I'm considering getting another for a base/backup. Yes the screen is small, but it's SUPER crisp and clear, and it actually fits a lot of good info on the small screen.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
just toi confirm, neither the 300 or the 400 have memory "banks" or Zones like the 7900 I have now..?

E5911

Premium Subscriber
Its disappointing, Everything I wanted: Tuning Steps to 6.25, 14 character alpha tags red hot yaesu reciever, basically a improved 7900, and NO Bank storage for 1000 memories! nice !
Who do I complain to?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You can complain, but I doubt anyone will act on your complaints.

The FTM-400D(R) has been on the market since 2012. I don't know how many firmware updates it got, but Yaesu never addressed the problem. The FTM-400XD(R) came out in 2015, but Yaesu didn't address the problem.

Then, they came out with the FTM-300D(R) in 2020 and still didn't add a memory bank feature.

My takeaway is that Yaesu does not see the value of memory banks in a mobile radio and/or just doesn't listen to their customers.

I'm thankful that Kenwood mobile radios have had memory banks through several generations of radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.