• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anyone have any more info on this Nextel i680 radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tank67

Apologies if this is the wrong forum category

JASII

Memory Capacity
With Zello and other apps, you may see more PTToC (Push To Talk Over Cellular) soon. Having a radio built in can be pretty handy for some people, too.

What I am waiting for is a device that will do PTToC and off-network simplex. They do exist, but early adopters often pay a price!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, someone bought the rights to the Nextel name and has been sticking it on low tier Chinese radios with an LTE module in them.

It's not Nextel like it used to be. It's a CCR with a sticker on it and the ability to do LTE push to talk.

These guys were at IWCE last year. I looked a their products. NOT high quality stuff. There's a lot of better options out there.

I rate this up with someone buying the Tram, Browning and RCA names then slapping it on a P.O.S. radio and marketing it to people tht don't know what they are purchasing.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I first saw them in 2017 at IWCE. They actually had copies of their paperwork "proving" they had the rights to the Nextel intellectual property, including the service mark/trademark stylized logos, etc. IIRC they paid not much more than a few hundred bucks. They were shilling low rent Chinacom 3G/UMTS PTT radios back then.

Sprint (by T-Mobile) killed Nextel. They essentially sold the toe tags for a song. It's dead Jim...

12dbsinad

With Zello and other apps, you may see more PTToC (Push To Talk Over Cellular) soon. Having a radio built in can be pretty handy for some people, too.

What I am waiting for is a device that will do PTToC and off-network simplex. They do exist, but early adopters often pay a price!

PTToC is pretty much the wave of the future. The radio shop I work part time for has almost completely abandoned their LMR DMR networks in favor for LTE radio's. Customer's LOVE the nationwide coverage, too.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
However, I'm not impressed with the cellular carriers ability to keep things up and running in a disaster/emergency. Far too many sites rely on weak links back to the MSO.
Interesting you say that. T-Mobile's nationwide failure on 6/15 caused them to lose SIP on their native network but not LTE/UMTS. I could use PTToC all day long, and everything else- but not make a phone call. They're getting better at layers of redundancy but it is fragmented. The same issues that plague cellular plague LMR. Lose your site/backhaul/core, you're dead. Just the RANs differ.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Interesting you say that. T-Mobile's nationwide failure on 6/15 caused them to lose SIP on their native network but not LTE/UMTS. I could use PTToC all day long, and everything else- but not make a phone call. They're getting better at layers of redundancy but it is fragmented. The same issues that plague cellular plague LMR. Lose your site/backhaul/core, you're dead. Just the RANs differ.

I'm not sure how the handle the switching for that. Glad it worked for you. Current systems around here all rely on various forms of IP back to the MSO's, and that's a mix of everything from T-1's, cable TV fiber service, AT&T Fiber and a few other carriers. When fiber goes down, or AT&T Wireline has an issue, we lose pretty much everything.
I don't have T-Mobile, as they are one of the less built out carriers in these parts. All my staff is split between AT&T and Verizon. We have one satellite phone as a fall back.

Back in the early 2000's, NexTel was easily overloaded. I remember after a small 5.x earthquake it took me over half an hour to get any calls out on my NexTel phone. AT&T has about 4 hours of battery backup at the local site and no generator. Verizon is the same.

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
Apologies if this is the wrong forum category

What would you like to know? I am a dealer through the new Nextel. I have one of these sitting on a shelf.

wardaddy

What would you like to know? I am a dealer through the new Nextel. I have one of these sitting on a shelf.
I have a question. Can I use any number of cheap Chinese garbage "network radios" to achieve the exact same thing, or do I have to buy one with a Nextel sticker for five times the price?

12dbsinad

So the new Nextel radio includes VHF & UHF capability with front panel programming along with PTT over cellular? A birdie just flew over me and asked if these are FCC type accepted? :)

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
I have a question. Can I use any number of cheap Chinese garbage "network radios" to achieve the exact same thing, or do I have to buy one with a Nextel sticker for five times the price?

All the same. I also don't actually know anyone that pays that much for these units. I am unaware of this site and have no idea where the price points come from.

So the new Nextel radio includes VHF & UHF capability with front panel programming along with PTT over cellular? A birdie just flew over me and asked if these are FCC type accepted? :)

The cellular modem is type accepted, as for the UHF/VHF... we all know that answer.

I found no practical use for this particular unit hence why it's been on the shelf for two years. I bought it to use as a gateway between LMR and PTToC which is built in, but there are far better routes to go to achieve that.

Status
Not open for further replies.