Anyone have experiance with streaming software butt (broadcast using this tool)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
I have an old Macbook computer that I want to use to broadcast my feed since it's otherwise just collecting dust on a shelf. I had my feed on a Windows desktop but I just changed it over to the Mac since that's more reliable. Problem is, Nicecast requires me to pay $59 or have really bad audio quality.
So, after some research, I found butt - broadcast using this tool. It seems like it will work fine (and for free, developer accepts donations) but I wanted to see if anyone had any experiance with it before I go start using it. If so, any suggestions on how to set it up best?
Thanks!

richtidd

Database Admin
I have an old Macbook computer that I want to use to broadcast my feed since it's otherwise just collecting dust on a shelf. I had my feed on a Windows desktop but I just changed it over to the Mac since that's more reliable. Problem is, Nicecast requires me to pay $59 or have really bad audio quality.
So, after some research, I found butt - broadcast using this tool. It seems like it will work fine (and for free, developer accepts donations) but I wanted to see if anyone had any experiance with it before I go start using it. If so, any suggestions on how to set it up best?
Thanks!

BUTT was an option in the past but we banned it as it does not do our broadcast specks.

In checking out the current Windows version it appears to now meed our broadcast specks.

In checking out the current Mac version I can get it to download onto my Mac but it will not install. I tried several times without luck. The Mac version seams to be incomplete or bad, at lease for me.

Try it out if you can.

We can allow it's use if it meets our broadcast specks:
Sample Rate: 22050 hz (22.050Khz) - For all feeds.
Bit Rate: 16kbs CBR for a mono (one) radio feed. Please DO NOT select VBR (Variable Bit Rate) or Joint Stereo.

Bit Rate: 32kbs CBR for a stereo (two) radio feed. Please DO NOT select VBR (Variable Bit Rate) or Joint Stereo.

Channels: 1 = Mono or 2 = Stereo

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
BUTT was an option in the past but we banned it as it does not do our broadcast specks.

In checking out the current Windows version it appears to now meed our broadcast specks.

In checking out the current Mac version I can get it to download onto my Mac but it will not install. I tried several times without luck. The Mac version seams to be incomplete or bad, at lease for me.

Try it out if you can.

We can allow it's use if it meets our broadcast specks:
Sample Rate: 22050 hz (22.050Khz) - For all feeds.
Bit Rate: 16kbs CBR for a mono (one) radio feed. Please DO NOT select VBR (Variable Bit Rate) or Joint Stereo.

Bit Rate: 32kbs CBR for a stereo (two) radio feed. Please DO NOT select VBR (Variable Bit Rate) or Joint Stereo.

Channels: 1 = Mono or 2 = Stereo

Thanks for the reply. After not getting a reply on this thread after about 24 hours, I did go ahead and try using BUTT for my feed and it has been online flawlessly for about 3 days straight now. I don't know why it won't install on your Mac since I downloaded and installed it without any problems on mine (maybe the DMG you downloaded was corrupted somehow?). Anyway, it has worked just fine for me. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help test it as another broadcasting software alternative for Mac users.

richtidd

Database Admin
Thanks for the reply. After not getting a reply on this thread after about 24 hours, I did go ahead and try using BUTT for my feed and it has been online flawlessly for about 3 days straight now. I don't know why it won't install on your Mac since I downloaded and installed it without any problems on mine (maybe the DMG you downloaded was corrupted somehow?). Anyway, it has worked just fine for me. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help test it as another broadcasting software alternative for Mac users.

Turns out mt OSX is too old.

Since they have made BUTT to work as lower bit rates, I will add it in the streaming software list for Mac.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Turns out mt OSX is too old.

Since they have made BUTT to work as lower bit rates, I will add it in the streaming software list for Mac.

Glad to hear it! Thanks for following up on this.
Have a good one.

mikev

Was happy to find this program! After seeing it mentioned above, I checked it out and am now using two instances of it on one computer to encode my feed here as well as my feed at Weather Underground.

Fast download, simple setup, simultaneous instances with separate configurations, low memory use, no annoying system tray popup messages... it checks all the boxes for me!

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Was happy to find this program! After seeing it mentioned above, I checked it out and am now using two instances of it on one computer to encode my feed here as well as my feed at Weather Underground.

Fast download, simple setup, simultaneous instances with separate configurations, low memory use, no annoying system tray popup messages... it checks all the boxes for me!

Same here! I was a little skeptical at first because I thought it might be too good to be true and wouldn't work with my feed in the long run, but it's got Rich's OK and ifs been working for me. I think we have a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
I have downloaded, does anyone have time to help?
Step # 1, would be great!

When I was setting it up, I just used the same steps as outlined in the RR Wiki for Nicecast but applied them to butt. Most fields were the same or just slightly different from how they are in Nicecast, so it only took minimal experimentation for me to translate what they were saying for Nicecast into butt. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me on here and I will do my best to help.

ereuter

Feed Provider
I'm a new user, trying to set up BUTT on a Mac. It doesn't want to let me leave the user name blank, which I understand is necessary for the RR feed. How did you guys handle this?

ereuter

Feed Provider
I almost have it together. I got it up and running for a few minutes using a Raspberry Pi and SDR for the stream, but had an issue with the squelch. I think I'll use a cheap dedicated radio instead. Should have it up soon!

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
I'm a new user, trying to set up BUTT on a Mac. It doesn't want to let me leave the user name blank, which I understand is necessary for the RR feed. How did you guys handle this?

Sorry I didn't see this until now. Hopefully you've gotten this worked out already. I do not remember exactly what I did but I don't think this was an issue for me. I believe I just put my RR username there, but I could easily be mistaken. If you did get it working, I'd be interested to learn what you did.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Hi ereuter

I live in Exeter, on PA d 2 and would love live feed. Even willing to share some cost. Are you any closer to making it happen?

BC brian@crowleydigital.com

I did get it to work very easily actually (I know I'm not ereuter but I'll do my best to help anyway). I just followed the instructions that they give for setting up ScannerCast but I transferred it to BUTT. Most of the fields were the same or similar between the two programs.

BM717

Pan Am D2 Scanner Feed

Hi

I didn't see the live stream yet. So not sure if it worked for him.

BC

BM717

Ereuter

Totally psyched to have d2 online. I'm not sure what your location is, but I'm at around mp 56 just before newfields hole. I'm an idiot when it comes to tech, but like I said, willing to help if it means being able to stream pan am d2. Here is my email if you want to reach out: brian@crowleydigital.com. Can you tip me off if you go live?

DC31

Feed Provider
I almost have it together. I got it up and running for a few minutes using a Raspberry Pi and SDR for the stream, but had an issue with the squelch. I think I'll use a cheap dedicated radio instead. Should have it up soon!

ereuter:

I very successfully stream from a raspberry pi and have an image that I have shared with others that works quite well. I have fooled around a little with SDR and could never make that work either. Some of my best results have come from using the cheap Baofeng UV-5r radio as a receiver (around $40). Or you can just use a scanner you happen to have around.

Let me know if you would like a copy of my image.

Jim

laroyj

streaming raspberry pi

Hi,
I want your image, can je send it by pm or wetransfer link ?

Johan

Status
Not open for further replies.