Anyone hearing the buzz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Lately I have been hearing a buzzing noise on my scanners here at the house. I thought it could somehow be related to the fact they are close to the PC. It is hard to describe, but today I was at the pool with a portable AM/FM radio listening on the FM side when I hear the buzzing noise 2 different times. So Now I am confused on what it could even be, that is affecting my scanners and FM radio. It is not a constant buzz but more like some kind of morse code type, but unlike any I have ever heard.

mfolta1

boy my scanners werent the only thing buzzing after all the southern comfort i had last night!!!

Chaos703

My scanner just started buzzing all across the VHF and VHF low bands. No buzzing on UHF or 800. Just started 00:17. When unplugged from AC power it doesn't buzz.

The buzz is definetly coming from the AC. I tested it with my old 93. Side by side test — 97 buzzing while plugged in, 93 clean static on battery. Switch the power cable and the 97 is clean while 93 buzzes. I tried removing the antennna from both scanners while plugged in and buzzing — buzzing stopped.

No buzz on my AM clock radio.

Should we call a priest? Or maybe a Bishop? I hear Carlton Pearson works pretty cheap nowdays.

Chaos703

00:35. Buzzing totally cleared up.

The buzz I was hear was a steady constant buzz, nothing like morse code. The morse code description does make me think in might be related to cell phone EM interference.

Last edited:

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
That could be it since everytime I hear it, the phone is close by. Smasung phone W/ Cingular, new work phone that has all the web connections.

Well, I am hearing it again and it is phone related. I move the phone away when the buzzing starts and it goes away, returns as I bring the phone back. Wife was starting to get upset at me asking "Do you hear that" as I thought I might be in for an anal probe next if no one else was hearing the sounds!

Last edited:

polson

Yes, my digital cell phone does the same thing. The phone isn't "quiet" as it just sits there. I believe it periodically transmits to keep itself established on a given cell tower. The first time I noticed it was when I was travelling and heard the noise coming out of the external speaker for my CB radio. I had the phone next to the CB on the dash. I've since had the same thing happen when the phone is on the desk next to the scanner.

freqscout

When my phone transmits and it is next to my iPod it makes my iPod turn up and down and sometimes makes it pause...its like the iPod gets possessed

Status
Not open for further replies.