Anyone in mass using a G5 Unication

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimaxxxl

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone in mass using a Unication g5? If so I have some questions for you about trunked programming if you could spare some time for a few questions.

bobbuff

Feed Provider
Yes COMIRS is a "statewide system" but you will not receive say the Worcester system in Boston or anywhere else but in and around the city limits. When traveling to Worcester area most of the time I will start picking them up just west of RTE 495 and then its hit or miss till your within few miles of the city. It is possible to program the entire COMIRS with all the sites, control channels talk groups etc but you will only receive the areas your are going thru or near. To do that would be a waste of time in my opinion. It would be scanning so much that you would miss most calls. Think of programing all conventional channels in the state into 1 scan group and see how much you miss because it takes too long to scan them all. I have the Worcester, Cambridge and Boston Fire systems in different zones and just turn the knob to whatever system I am near. Same as the RISCON system in Rhode Island, even thou its a small state they have 4 zones. Where I live I get the south zone which is techinally the furthest from me, go figure. I hope I explained it ok for you.

Hit_Factor

I have the MPSCS System programmed into one knob on my G5. It has every site, and control channels, for the I-94 corridor east to west. It works very well. The G5 locks onto the site with the strongest signal and monitors TGs, as signal decreases a new site is locked in. I have all of the primary LEO dispatch TGs programmed in. I duplicate the knob position, one knob id TG Scan and the other is TG Monitor, for when I want to monitor more than the Police. The leapfrog fashion works very well for the drive. Once I get into Detroit I have to par down the programming.

I hope that helps.

The firmware under development now will offer scanner like options. Trying to scan a bunch of sites would not be productive at all.

ecps92

May work for MN, but as Bob pointed out, much of MA[ssachusetts] our P25 network is limited in where it has been built-out
and those areas were designed for coverage IN those areas, stray outside that boundary and you get nothing.

I have the MPSCS System programmed into one knob on my G5. It has every site, and control channels, for the I-94 corridor east to west. It works very well. The G5 locks onto the site with the strongest signal and monitors TGs, as signal decreases a new site is locked in. I have all of the primary LEO dispatch TGs programmed in. I duplicate the knob position, one knob id TG Scan and the other is TG Monitor, for when I want to monitor more than the Police. The leapfrog fashion works very well for the drive. Once I get into Detroit I have to par down the programming.

I hope that helps.

The firmware under development now will offer scanner like options. Trying to scan a bunch of sites would not be productive at all.

bobbuff

Feed Provider

I hope that helps.

I did the same for the MARCS System in Ohio while traveling across the state to Cincinnati, worked great.

bobbuff

Feed Provider
May work for MN, but as Bob pointed out, much of MA[ssachusetts] our P25 network is limited in where it has been built-out
and those areas were designed for coverage IN those areas, stray outside that boundary and you get nothing.
Bill you could it for MASS as well, put in the Boston overlay, Cambridge, Worcester etc but it would keep bouncing to the strongest site meanwhile your miss something on another site.

dimaxxxl

Premium Subscriber
Great information guys! Thank you so much. The key for me was finding out that the G5 doesn’t scan sites but only locks on to the strongest signal.

bh

Is the G5 Unication worth the premium to improve performance receiving the MSP trunked system? Specifically Zone 5 north east of Boston?

dimaxxxl

Premium Subscriber
There is little to no traffic for MSP around Boston on the COMIRS system and the Unication will not do analog trunking.

Status
Not open for further replies.