Anyone in Mississauga using Motorola Gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3RADIO

Hey All,

Do any of you guys who live in West Toronto or Mississauga have Motorola Gear programmed and running on Peel Region Police or Toronto Police Service?

Secondly.. do you know where i could pick a basic Motorola up (Maxtrack 800 i believe is what they use)? and would anyone be able to assist me with programing it?

I'm in the Erin Mills and Dundas Area..of Sauga.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Using a Motorola on a Public Safety system is generally a bad idea as if it isn't programmed exactly correct, you can wind up causing problems on the system - and as more than one or two people have found out - can get you in a hell of a lot of trouble.

For these reasons, I doubt you'll find anyone on here willing to admit they use said radios, much less able to program them.

Your best bet would be to give Lakeshore a call...they do most of the tow/media guys.

N

nec208

exkalibur said:
Using a Motorola on a Public Safety system is generally a bad idea as if it isn't programmed exactly correct, you can wind up causing problems on the system - and as more than one or two people have found out - can get you in a hell of a lot of trouble.

For these reasons, I doubt you'll find anyone on here willing to admit they use said radios, much less able to program them.

Your best bet would be to give Lakeshore a call...they do most of the tow/media guys.

What advantage would you have? I don't think you can cause problems if the transmit is removed.Has for being legal , if it is not transmitting there should be no problems.

But would not a pro-96 be better option you not just limited to police?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
nec208 said:
if it is not transmitting there should be no problems.

This has been beaten to death on this board and many others for years.

The software and associated files required to program the system into your radio are considered part of Motorola's Intellectual Property. They can and have prosecuted people who have placed radios onto trunking systems.

Look about halfway down this linked page for some of Motorola's dealings with a local Toronto guy:

http://mrtmag.com/mag/radio_news_18/

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Let's also not forget that Ron was doing some things that was above and beyond just programing a radio to listen. He was selling Motorola radios to various persons (tow operators, for one) that were set for full transmit on the (then) Etobicoke Fire Department system on their own 'private' talkgroup. That, me thinks, is what got Motorola sniffing up his back side in the first place. Had he ONLY been programing radios for RX only, I don't think he would have raised any eyebrows.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
How did he manage that? AFAIK don't you need the talkgroup explicitly "enabled" in the controller? Or is that only on >=SZ 3.0?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
There are a number of systems where all talkgroups are enabled by default. This makes it easier to program radios - you don't have to log into SAC every time you want to add another one.

BAD idea for a PS system, but I know of at least two that are doing it that way right now.

I don't remember if he was using a 'made up' TG or if he was using a spare one and just hijacking it.

Of course, if he was crafty, he could have obtained a copy of System Watch and just enabled the talkgroup remotely. SW is Motorola's dirty secret that they don't like to talk about...

Status
Not open for further replies.