Anyone in my area??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpa

Wondering if anyone is in the Forsyth Co. Winston-Salem area? We are in Davie Co. between Forsyth and Iredell.
We have been figuring things out little by little but still get hung up on a few things. Hoping maybe someone nearby might be able to shed some light on a few things. Tkx

jpa

wx4cbh,
Thanks for your reply...my husband was typing in a post last nite but somehow clr'd it

Two minor questions pop to mind......in the V-scanner menu....what is the "S-CLN" do?
We have printed out (radioref) frequencys for Iredell Co and find a same freq listed for a
FD that we also had programmed in for say,Forsyth or Rowan FD. We are finding we will
get both area's transmissions , only listening to details are we knowing which county it is from. It this happening because we are basicly in the middle of each area and so we will receive from both?

Now, the main question we have is what are we to program in for "SHP" ?
We do receive some on 42.5 etc (LowBand) . Don't think anything has come on the 155.of
(HighBand) and what 800MHZ #'s do we need to program to receive in "VIPER"????????
(Been hearing from Davie Co Sheriff " that they turned it over to State Hwy Patrol"????)

We have the PRO-96.......wanting to monitor "Home Area" of Iredell, Davie, Rowan,
Davidson and Forsyth mainly.

We just started out doing this last Spring with a PRO-82 and have decided we want to
get into this "Hobby" so bought the PRO-96 first part of Sept. Been figuring out how to use
on our own .....as much as possible......But would appreciate any help you can give us.

Is it possible (or allowed) to exchange phone #'s since we should be local #'s??????

CCHLLM

When the conventional frequencies are the same, you'll have to program the proper CTCSS (PL) or the DCS (DPL) for the particular channel in order to distinguish which source you're hearing. Otherwise the radio can't distinguish the source either, so to speak, so it's a good idea to program the tone anyway. Once you get used to the "sound" each system has and become familiar with the roads and landmarks in each county/jurisdiction, you'll be able to ID the source just by what you hear.

Trunking stuff will be self-identifying once you have the talkgroup IDs and data properly programmed.

Check the database for the appropriate low band and 800 mHz SHP channels for the counties you want to monitor. The high band freqs have little traffic in the areas where the 800 mHz stuff is operational, but there are still a lot of cars out there with the vehicular repeaters on 155.445/131.8 PL. The 154.680/131.8 base repeaters may as well be gone for all the use they still get, so don't expect much there.

SHP low band is alive and well for the time being, and the database is correct for the channels. Without a good lowband capable antenna, your reception on low band is going to be limited due to the necessary lengths and ground plane sizes for the 30-50 mHz frequencies.

As you progress through the stages of setting up your scanner, you'll have questions, no doubt, so just keep asking and somebody will give or steer you to the info. I don't have a scanner, so the scanner gurus here will have to step in and take over.

Good luck.

CFP387

jpa said:
wx4cbh,
We have printed out (radioref) frequencys for Iredell Co and find a same freq listed for a
FD that we also had programmed in for say,Forsyth or Rowan FD. We are finding we will
get both area's transmissions , only listening to details are we knowing which county it is from. It this happening because we are basicly in the middle of each area and so we will receive from both?

Rowan County doesn't share any VHF fire frequency with Iredell anymore. For a while, we used 154.07 as an alternate fireground channel, but since we fully switched to 800, it's no longer used.

Keep in mind that Mooresville and Statesville Fire both dispatch on 154.13 and, again, be sure to program their respective PL's in order to hear both transmissions seperately.

jpa

You moving to Stokes county? I'll be looking for more freq's for there this coming week for us..........let me know if you need any to start with.

jpa

Thx to replies from WX4chb and CFP387

Am still digesting the info....but I did put PL's for "the duplicates" and now I get them separate belonging to the proper group. Great Tks................

Is my thinking on this going in the right direction......before I work on understanding more

Conventional channels are the 453./458. and 460./465. and 154./155.etc I get for police and fire-ems etc................And these are FM (FM/Digital)
When I had a same freq being used by different areas - I needed to put their Tone-PL's # in which FM had to change to CT to it put in.....................Correct???
(I've seen some listed where I need to put in DC and has a 3digit#)

Also is it necessary to put in the Freq and the Input Freq #'s using two ch's for each grp??

This may be a dumb questions but......800 #'s --are some conventional also?????
I was assuming if it was a 800# it is a Trunked systems period.....but I thought I saw somewhere it saying they could be either one????????????

Appreciate any feedback

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> Conventional channels are the 453./458. and 460./465. and 154./155.etc I get for police and fire-ems etc................And these are FM (FM/Digital)

Almost all the time. But, you can have a trunked VHF or UHF system. Two examples ... the new statewide VHF trunked system in Virginia, and the combo VHF / UHF system in Brunswick Co, NC.

>> When I had a same freq being used by different areas - I needed to put their Tone-PL's # in which FM had to change to CT to it put in.....................Correct???
(I've seen some listed where I need to put in DC and has a 3digit#)

Some hobbyists don't use PL / DPL tones when monitoring. But, along with a good alpha name, using tones helps you distinguish who you are hearing in an instant.

If you don't know the tone, leave it blank, but still set the mode of that channel in the Pro 96 to "PL." If no tone is displayed when the agency transmits, then try changing the mode to DPL. The number of public safety agencies using no PL or DPL tone for a conventional analog channel is small.

>> Also is it necessary to put in the Freq and the Input Freq #'s using two ch's for each grp??

Usually, it is not necessary to include the repeater input frequency (although monitoring the input can sometimes reveal additional info about how the repeater is setup).

On rare occasions, an agency may use the input frequency for a secondary purpose, such as a simplex tac channel. In such cases, a different PL tone ... or no tone at all ... may be employed for that secondary use. Caldwell County Sheriffs used to do that with their dispatch repeater. I believe Raleigh PD uses the 465.xxx side of one of their repeater channels for tac purposes.

>> This may be a dumb questions but......800 #'s --are some conventional also?????
I was assuming if it was a 800# it is a Trunked systems period.....but I thought I saw somewhere it saying they could be either one????????????

They can be either conventional or trunked. The five ITAC frequencies, available to any public safety agency licensed for 800 MHz use, are a good example of conventional 800 channels.

And, if the computer controlling a Motorola trunked system fails, a trunked system may switch to a conventional mode called "failsoft," with each talkgroup reverting to a pre-assigned repeater frequency.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
jpa said:
You moving to Stokes county? I'll be looking for more freq's for there this coming week for us..........let me know if you need any to start with.

Rockingham. I've lived in the area for 20 years, i've just been sidetracked in the midwest for the last 2 months.

jpa

Sorry............sounded like you were going to "move" for first time and I'm always willing to help someone in any way I can......................................................
Eventually will understand enough to maybe help someone & answer questions ......I am researching and logging down #'s & trying to put the pieces of the puzzle (the big picture) for my area with the surrounding counties, am finding little pieces fitting together nicely with a ways to go still.....but I'm still at the beginning with all the questions for now and rely on the experts here in helping us to understand.............and enjoying the learning.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I hate to ask the obvious... but you have checked the Database for your counties of interest right? All the information is there and accurate to my knowledge with correct output and input frequencies/PL's. I have everything for most of central and western North Carolina/Virginia programmed into my mobile and portable radios, with the exception of the Guilford and Forsyth Couny trunking systems...

SD70MAC

Jake

ATF1224 said:
I'll be living in that area (north of Winston-Salem) after about 2 weeks...

That was Jake quick I thought you just moved to MN. Glade your coming back to NC.

Jpa I live in the Davie ,Iredell area but i'm not a scanner guy I use 2 way radios.

SD70MAC

Jake

Jake were you the one who had the EX600XLS VHF on ebay? It was about the time you left,did you like it?

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Yeah it was my EX600XLS.I had wanted one of those things since they came out... I actually hated that thing.

I did move to MN 2 months ago, but there is more opportunity for me back in NC right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.