anyone in pinellas have 536hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitbr

So I just received my 536 today its a great scanner.
I have noticed a 100 percent improvement in the pin p25 decoding over the 996xt. It decodes 100 percent at my location..
I was wondering if anyone3 else in pin had this scanner and how is working for you.
Tim

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I frequent Pinellas Park/Clearwater. Just a bad area I guess. I have a pretty good antenna setup on the roof at work. Perhaps too much antenna?

I am down in the 34th Str 126ave area and oddly enough some messages are clear as the blue sky, others I cant make out at all (on the same TGs). This is with a 996xt as a base, same location and antenna location, on Site 4+5.

mitbr

I am comparing the 996xt to the 536hp fyi.
On the 996xt the audio on the p25 system via the headphone jack sounds like its under water, on the 536hp its crystal clear.

Here in Dunedin as I am scanning with full signal on site 5 the 996xt is clear then with no warning becomes garbled then clear again, on the 536hp this doesn't happen.

If I use my yagi 800mhz antenna everything remains the same on both scanners.

If I use the 800mhz rubber RS antenna the 996xt varies greatly depending on orientation and location of the antenna sometimes wont decode at all. On the 536hp same RS antenna I cant seem to get it NOT to decode, I have tried different locations in the house and no matter what it decodes 100%.

When decoding the 536hp audio is clear the audio from the 996xt sounds digital.

When I bought the 536hp I did not expect the improvement to be so dramatic I was pleasantly surprised.
Tim

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying about the "underwater effect". I don't think its just the scanners that have the problem, 1 night while listening to Largo PD, right when they started their patch, it seemed like everybody had to keep repeating everything bc they couldn't understand. The dispatchers just kept saying "it's the new radios, they are still working on them". I honestly dont know underwater sounds on actual radios compared to how it sounds on scanners.

mitbr

I frequent Pinellas Park/Clearwater. Just a bad area I guess. I have a pretty good antenna setup on the roof at work. Perhaps too much antenna?

I wonder if there is a difference between each 536hp radio produced.Seems odd with full signal different radios there would be a different result.

Which site are you listening to?
Tim

mitbr

I understand what you are saying about the "underwater effect". I don't think its just the scanners that have the problem, 1 night while listening to Largo PD, right when they started their patch, it seemed like everybody had to keep repeating everything bc they couldn't understand. The dispatchers just kept saying "it's the new radios, they are still working on them". I honestly dont know underwater sounds on actual radios compared to how it sounds on scanners.

Yea I don't have a spare 6 grand around to compare to our cheap scanners either lol

Yea I don't have a spare 6 grand around to compare to our cheap scanners either lol

I have only heard the sound on an actual radio once and very briefly when I was using a Harris P7100 on UHF in Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo. I don't know if Motos would sound the same or if anything that is not decoded properly just stays muted.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if there is a difference between each 536hp radio produced.Seems odd with full signal different radios there would be a different result.

Which site are you listening to?
Tim

2, 4 and 5 depending where I am.

I know Uniden recalled hundreds of 536HP's for a headphone jack issue so I could imagine there are some other quality control issues.

It's an okay radio especially when traveling but I'll probably keep using my 996XT's unless Pinellas or Hillsborough starts using Phase II or X2-TDMA.

jimmyt3477

Premium Subscriber
Man - I was really hopeful we'd start getting reports back that the new Uniden scanners were consistently handling the Pinellas P25 system better. I live near the St. Pete/Clearwater Airport and I cannot decode that system at all on my Pro 106. I literally will get a two or three word snippet of coversations every few minutes such that it's a pointless exercise to even bother. I've tried a paperclip, stubby anntenna, no antenna, yagi antenna, attenuator, etc with absolutely no improvement.

Tryton

I know this is an old post but I wanted to chime in. I just got the 536HP and wow what a difference! I am decoding around 95%. I'm was so depressed with the 996xt's performance since I have 2 feeds. I will be replacing both radios with the 536.. I will probably do the Largo/St Pete feed first, then Fire & EMS (Unless Fire & EMS goes totally p25 soon). I need to buy another radio..

nasa806

Premium Subscriber
The 536 decodes far better than my 996's hands down. There is so much of a difference i don't even turn my 996's on anymore.

ngel

P25 audio

For anyone interested , i have heard the audio on a real radio, it sounds about the same as a scanner as far as audio quality is concerned.

nasa806

Premium Subscriber
For anyone interested , i have heard the audio on a real radio, it sounds about the same as a scanner as far as audio quality is concerned.

I totally agree with you. Hear them at the station and sound quality is pretty identical. In fact i just ordered two more 536's today.

Tryton

You know the funny thing is, When I use my Radioshack 800Mhz antenna, I get worse decode than if I use the stock antenna lowered to the last element..

mitbr

I know this is an old post but I wanted to chime in. I just got the 536HP and wow what a difference! I am decoding around 95%. I'm was so depressed with the 996xt's performance since I have 2 feeds. I will be replacing both radios with the 536.. I will probably do the Largo/St Pete feed first, then Fire & EMS (Unless Fire & EMS goes totally p25 soon). I need to buy another radio..

Hey Tryton any timeline when the 536hp will be in service for your largo feed?
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.