anyone know about CB radios here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gippersdad

I am not sure if I am in the right place. I know this site is mostly about police scanners. I have switched over to CB for my needs...so if this is the wrong place, and you know the right one...please direct me.

In any case...here's my thing:

I live in Clemmons, NC and about a month ago...a tornado took out a house just up the street from me and my family. With no power, we sat here with no power, no outside information, and no idea that we were sitting in its path.

So I bought the battery packs, the inverters, the weatherband radios, the portable TV that rins on batteries, the digital converter box (so it will all work after 2009), and lastly...a Police scanner.

Little did I know that here in Forsyth County...all of the police communications are digital. I don't have another 500.00 to blow on a digital scanner...so I bought a CB radio instead. If I can't hear the Police, my second choice is to hear the truckers...they will know what is going on. I like the channel 9 option too...for when one lands in the soup!

In any case, I have a brand new CB radio being shipped to me...and it will be installed in the truck by this weekend. So assume I know nothing when I ask these questions (because I know absolutely nothing).

1) What does "tweak and peak" mean? I have read around the net that this can increase my range from 4 miles to 20 miles. Is that true?

2) If it is true, where do I go in Clemmons to get it done?

3) How much does it cost?

Anyone who has the time and will to help me out here...will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

HKM

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
When anyone does any "tweaking" on a CB, it will likely no longer be legal to use as it's been modified. You would not really get much (if any) improvement anyway. I have doubts of the quality of information you would get. While you would get something from the truckers, you might get a lot more than that (and don't leave the CB on if you have kids around).

Another choice is getting your amateur radio license, the equipment is not very expensive for two meters (144-148mhz) and there will be lots of people to talk to, and more importantly for you, more information if something big were to happen. A simple mobile can be as low as $120 brand new, handheld radios are starting around the same price and can cost more if you want more features. Good used radios are always around as well.

There is a test, but it is a 35 question multiple choice test with no morse code required for any class of license. We even had a six year old get his license in the last couple months here around Gaston County :D

We can give you more information if you are interested, there are several of us on the NC forum who are hams.

radiotrack1

Feed Provider
Also with an amatuer license on two meters you can talk for over 50 miles through a repeater with 5 watts (the same thing a CB runs) and it would be legal. During times of emergencies and bad weather you can listen to two meters and get information from hams in the field before it is relayed to the national weather service. If you upgrade you license and equipment you can talk completely around the would.

Peaking a CB will increase the performance but it is also illegal. And if you have one peaked and then run it to an amplifier(also illegal) you will not gain any added performance from the peaking because if you have a 100 watt amp weather the radio has been peaked or not you will still only get 100 watts output.

Last edited:

Kegan30317

FWIW, I don't have a CB, but will use my scanner to listen to CB Ch 19 when I'm stuck in a back up on the interstate. Normally I can figure out what's going on from the truckers. Unfortunately, you typically don't get the info in time to avoid a jam, just in time to learn why you're sitting still!

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Two thoughts about C.B. and severe weather ...

In the kind of weather you're concerned about, HKM, the smart truckers will likely have parked their rigs and sought shelter. C.B. channel 9 may well be unusually quiet.

And, if you are concerned about severe weather, the LAST place you want to be if a tornado warning is in effect is outside the house, sitting in a pickup truck, trying to get storm reports.

Monitoring the NWS and amateur radio will tell you ALOT. I also "watch" the storm cell movement on the PC, and would recommend people checking out this website:

www.terribennett.com

The weather display is very easy to use, and the storm cell tracking works well. Terri formerly worked on TV channels 9 and 36 as a meteorologist. $$ might be tight right now, buy there will be good deals on basic laptops when the kids go back to school. Then all you need is an intenet connection in your "safety" area of the house.

gippersdad

I love this board! You guys are great, and always come with the information and then some! Here's what I collectively gathered:

- Ham radio sounds interesting...I think I will get one. That idea makes alot of sense, and sounds affordable!!!

-Tweaking the radio is illegal...I am glad I asked...because I did not know that. Whether that means "don't do it," or "be careful" probably depends on the fines associated with getting caught (which I wil be looking up now). LOL.

-There is a great group of guys here at radio reference that are extremely helpful!

Thanks guys!!!

Last edited:

CFP387

With the advent of celluar telephones (and before that, "car phones"), CB channel 9 has probably seen it's better days. I live very near I-85 and have monitored CB channel 9 on my base scanner for years. I have never heard any emergency traffic on that frequency at all. Very seldom do I even hear any distorted traffic from higher-wattage radios txing on channels 8 or 10.

Does anyone know of an instance, past or present, where one has txed on CB channel 9 and actually gotten any help? I would venture to say that in today's world, this would only happen in very rural parts of our state.

N8IAA

With the advent of celluar telephones (and before that, "car phones"), CB channel 9 has probably seen it's better days. I live very near I-85 and have monitored CB channel 9 on my base scanner for years. I have never heard any emergency traffic on that frequency at all. Very seldom do I even hear any distorted traffic from higher-wattage radios txing on channels 8 or 10.

Does anyone know of an instance, past or present, where one has txed on CB channel 9 and actually gotten any help? I would venture to say that in today's world, this would only happen in very rural parts of our state.
Fourteen years ago, in a land called Cleveland, Oh, while monitoring my base CB, a trucker called to tell me my wife had a flat tire on the freeway. Her cell phone didn't work in that area. Needless to say, I got in my truck and got the offending tire off of her car and the donut on. Followed her to work. Got her tire repaired and her car back to her. Another incident in that far away place, I was monitoring the CB after being on the local ssb net and heard a motorist in trouble on the Ohio Turnpike. The OSP were looking for her, but they didn't have a CB in the car. We talked to the dispatch center on CB and were able to get help for the woman. Here in Gawga, more kids than adults on the CB. As has been mentioned, cell phones have even taken the 2m phone patch and put it on the side burner. Use the scanner to monitor the 2m and 440mhz skywarn repeaters in your area. Much more reliable than the CB. These guys will not lead you astray. Oh, and get that license, you never know, we may meet on the airways:))
Larry

ki4rvh

HKM,

The guys on here have already given you great advice. I'd look into ham radio as they said. The tech license is pretty easy. My wife has no technical knowledge at all and passed. She studied for about 2 nights and missed 2 questions. CB is good for information about traffic when you're on the road. Ham is much better for weather. You can pick up the Skywarn repeaters on your scanner. These are Hams that call stuff in to the weather service so you'll likely hear stuff before it makes the weather service and news. 147.255 is the primary one for your area. 145.250 is secondary and 145.150 is back up. More info here on this site: http://www.triadskywarn.com/index.htm. I assume you already know about NOAA weather radio. You can get 24 hour weather from this on your scanner as well. Theres one on Sauratown Mtn that you should be able to get at 162.400. Good Luck and Happy Monitoring

Chris

Last edited:

lugoffman

When anyone does any "tweaking" on a CB, it will likely no longer be legal to use as it's been modified. You would not really get much (if any) improvement anyway. I have doubts of the quality of information you would get. While you would get something from the truckers, you might get a lot more than that (and don't leave the CB on if you have kids around).

Another choice is getting your amateur radio license, the equipment is not very expensive for two meters (144-148mhz) and there will be lots of people to talk to, and more importantly for you, more information if something big were to happen. A simple mobile can be as low as $120 brand new, handheld radios are starting around the same price and can cost more if you want more features. Good used radios are always around as well.

There is a test, but it is a 35 question multiple choice test with no morse code required for any class of license. We even had a six year old get his license in the last couple months here around Gaston County :D

We can give you more information if you are interested, there are several of us on the NC forum who are hams.

When is the next test date any idea for charlotte area or closer to sc

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Not all tests are listed here, but many.
http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml

Will check on the Charlotte area, but I know of at least one ham club who will offer tests at any meeting if they know ahead of time. That's great for people who are working on weekends like me. It's also not as good for me because they meet on the same night as my RACES group :lol:

ki4rvh

Are these close to you? If not you can go to : http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml and do a search.

21-Jun-2008
Time: 9:00AM (No walk-ins)
(803)273-0053
Email: KA4PXK@ARRL.NET
VEC: ARRL/VEC
625 W DEKALB ST
CAMDEN, SC 29020

09-Aug-2008
Sponsor: KA4PXK
Time: (No walk-ins)
CAMDEN, SC 29020

11-Oct-2008
Sponsor: KA4PXK
Time: (No walk-ins)
CAMDEN, SC 29020

Chris

KC0QNB

Could be the tests may be offered at some Field Day events, not sure though, Field day is 28-29 of this month
go here to find more info.
http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/fd/locator.php
on the right hand side of the page there is a link to sort by state, I am not sure of whats where in NC, but I am sure you know, check it out, send an email to one of the contacts, and ask if testing will be offered.
I encourage all the users on this forum to attend a FD event in their area, and find out whats out there to do as a licensed amateur radio operator.
Ryan, KC0QNB

Last edited:

lugoffman

Not all tests are listed here, but many.
http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml

Will check on the Charlotte area, but I know of at least one ham club who will offer tests at any meeting if they know ahead of time. That's great for people who are working on weekends like me. It's also not as good for me because they meet on the same night as my RACES group :lol:

Hey thanks this is a big help ive been studing for some time now ,there is a TEST right here in my home town

timc4720

I have a Galaxy 88 and dont know how to set it, does anybody know how? And can you explain it like you would to a 1st grader.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have a Galaxy 88 and dont know how to set it, does anybody know how? And can you explain it like you would to a 1st grader.

Welcome to RR.com!
I would ask in the future that you not bump old posts to ask questions.
We have an excellent CB Forum here at RR.com which should be able to help
you out. Surf over to:
CB Radio Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums
Hope this helps you out!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.