Anyone know about radar guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrenchFeeder

I was driving on Will cook road, between 131st and McCarthy, there was a car going slow up the hill and as soon as we got over the hill I passed him. I saw a police cruiser all the way at the opposite end of the road, but I passed anyway because I was on a work emergency, now KNOWING the officer was there I watched my speedo the whole time and I never passed 70 miles an hour, and as soon as I got far enough ahead of the car i was passing i slowed down to the speed limit of 45.

Now as I passed the officer he pulled out, pulled me over, and told me that he radared me at 79 miles an hour. He then said and I quote "I thought that was wrong so I hit you again and got 72". I specificly asked him if he was using LADAR, or a regular RADAR gun, he said it was an old RADAR gun. I kept to myself and took the ticket and went to work.

The next day I went back to the spot the officer was parked, parked my car in the same way, and to my surprise, there was NO LINE OF SIGHT to where the officer said he radared me. You can only see about 50 or 60 feet of road coming down the hill, then the view is cut off completely. What i want to know is what kind of evidence I can bring to court to prove this officer wrong and save myself the unfair 150 dollar ticket. I know that my word saying i was watching my speedo will not be enough. I took video and still photos from the spot he was parked in to show there was no line of sight. I am just curious if anyone has ever gotten out of a situation like this, or if I should bring a lawer. I am not paying this ticket, because I don't acknowledge cops who lie to get time and a half for a court day.

Edit: The officer said he pulled me over because the deer were running across the road alot that day, and they recieved several calls. He was trying to make himself not look like a jerk writing me a ticket when im on an emergency call. However if that is the case why was he sitting on a road way that has water on both sides, I dunno about you guys but I never saw a deer come jumping out of the water and over a guard rail and into more water.

Last edited:

jackj

Hmmmmm.....you were traveling over 70 mph in a 45 mph zone and you think the ticket is unfair?

cfr301

First Your Speedo can be off as much as 5 to 8 mph depending lots of things like new tires and other things..have you had that checked? You admit to going 70 mph in a 45 mph zone the cop nabbed you for 79 and second check of 72? Sounds to me like you ought to pay the fine stop trying to find a way to blame the cop, when you fully admit speed close to what you were cited for. If he locked you twice he was making SURE he had the right car.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Database Admin
And no "work emergency" allows you to speed in accordance to law, so I wouldn't rely on that excuse either...

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like he/she got you good. Can a radar ticket be beat you ask...sure it can. Like many have said here, you better have some good evidence. I believe if you challenge and loose in court, they also charge you court costs on top of that $150. As far as the reasons why the officer is sitting there isn't important. 72 in a 45 sounds very excessive no matter what the reason. Sorry, pay the ticket and call it a day.

GTO_04

Premium Subscriber
You should have asked him how far away you were when he clocked you. What kind of vehicle were you driving? If you were driving a truck or SUV you are a sitting duck for radar and he can easily clock you a mile or more away. Depending on what you were driving it is possible he clocked you when you first saw him, when you were at the top of the hill.

GTO_04

dd364

In court when you present your evidence are you going to tell the judge you where doing 70 or are you going to lie in court?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
This would really be good on the next episode of "street justice"!!:lol::lol:
N9ZAS

TrenchFeeder

See most of you didn't read what I posted. I was watching my speedo, and where the cop was sitting, HE COULD NOT HAVE SEEN ME TO TAKE RADAR. NO LINE OF SIGHT.

And I was not going that fast. I was next to another car for the whole 3 seconds he saw me, which was an SUV about 3 feet taller than my car,and in the time he could see me I had not even started speeding up yet.

Please read things more carefully before you call me a liar, and assume I am wrong. I see this was the wrong place to ask this. Just because someone has a metal badge on their chest doesn't make them above lying for their own personal gain. I have dealt with and, caused the resignation of more than one police officer that thought he was slick and I was dumb,(Talking to you Lincoln-Way units) and it probably wont be the last

Last edited:

cfr301

Hey Nurf ball YOU stated I watched my speedo the whole time and I never passed 70 miles an hour, Now shut up & pay the ticket. Don't like the advice don't ask!

TrenchFeeder

First Your Speedo can be off as much as 5 to 8 mph depending lots of things like new tires and other things..have you had that checked? You admit to going 70 mph in a 45 mph zone the cop nabbed you for 79 and second check of 72? Sounds to me like you ought to pay the fine stop trying to find a way to blame the cop, when you fully admit speed close to what you were cited for. If he locked you twice he was making SURE he had the right car.
He didnt lock me twice, only the second time, and he refused to show me the radar gun with my speed locked in, so there goes more evidence of him lying, and by his own admission the first time he knew was wrong, I'd say he has faulty equipment, or is simply making things up. Especialy since he had literaly 3 seconds to AIM the radar gun at me properly, make sure he was radaring me and not the SUV, AND do it twice and lock me in the second time. All in 3 seconds? Are you kidding me?

Because like I said he had no line of sight, and even if he was able to SEE my car, he still would not have been propery oriented to take radar on my vehicle, since he was in a hill with the nose of the radar gun above my roof, and pointed into the lane I was passing the SUV in. So I doubt if he even radared me once. That's fine though, I'm not trying to make enemies here, but I am a bit offended you all assume I am at fault here just because I don't have a shiny hunk of metal on my chest. Cops are human beings, they lie, cheat, steal, murder, rape, and everything else, so lets not assume they are above writing a fake ticket to get some extra time and a half near the holidays

TrenchFeeder

Hey Nurf ball YOU stated I watched my speedo the whole time and I never passed 70 miles an hour, Now shut up & pay the ticket. Don't like the advice don't ask!
Never passed, the 70 mile an hour mark on my speedo. My speedo, which I know is off 3 miles an hour ahead, because I check it every day at the radar trap on my street, so if you want to get specific I never went past 67 miles an hour

mike_s104

Please read things more carefully before you call me a liar, and assume I am wrong. I see this was the wrong place to ask this. Just because someone has a metal badge on their chest doesn't make them above lying for their own personal gain. I have dealt with and, caused the resignation of more than one police officer that thought he was slick and I was dumb,(Talking to you Lincoln-Way units) and it probably wont be the last

Maybe YOU need to read things more carefully...like your speedometer. Why would the office lie for "personal gain"? He's doing his job. He has emergency lights and CAN speed for his job. Unless you have the same, then you need to obey the laws of the road.

Do I speed? Yes, I do although no where close to 72/79 in a 45. If I got pulled over and received a ticket because of what I was doing/did, I would be pissed too, but it's not the officer's fault. Like I said, he would be doing his job; just like you do and like every other responsible adult.

I would bet $1 that if you ask like an ass, they will too. There's a deputy that is a complete asshole where I live and yes I told him he was being a d*ck. The next time I needed to call a deputy (some drunk flattened our mailbox), I had different one respond who was an absolute gentleman and so was I. I even told him about the last one and he actually apologized for him.

Apparently you have a lot of pull with scaring the officers into quitting their jobs, if this truly is the case. I do feel sorry (well, not really) if, lord forbid, you need police assistance in the future with something like an armed person breaking into you home.

Point is, YOU were in the wrong and YOU need to own up and be an adult instead of trying to get sympathy from people here.

Suck it up Nancy.

WX9RLT

I never passed 70 miles an hour, and as soon as I got far enough ahead of the car i was passing i slowed down to the speed limit of 45.

So, your saying you were going 69 mph ;)

Honestly, if you were doing 46 mph or more, you deserve a speeding ticket. Regardless of what the officer says on the paper. Either way you were speeding, and now you have to pay the ticket.

There is a saying "you do the crime, you better be ready to do the time"

I am not perfect, and I have plenty of speeding tickets. Heck, I even got a ticket for no headlights driving during the day, a clear day.

So, I feel where you are coming from on this issue.

But, legally the officer does not have to show you or tell you anything about the radar gun.

Radar guns can go a long way and dont actually have to have a line of sight on some radar guns.

Radar detectors vary on how quickly they pick up the radar gun, if they can even pick it up. It can be 2 miles away or just a few feet.

From what it sounds, there is always two sides to a story though. It sounds like the officer was in the right on issuing a speeding ticket, but was wrong on the speed he put down on the ticket.

whiskeytango

im seeing that same elitist attitude here that some cops have...but i will agree that his demeanor is 95% dictated by how someone acts in the first 5 seconds after being pulled over....i speed...thats why i got a scanner and a radar detector....only sucks if you get caught, mr trench...sorry you gotta hear these peeps ramble on....but 67 in a 45 is a little excessive....

Status
Not open for further replies.