Anyone know how to get Port Chester PD to work on SDR Trunk ? I will pay $50. Thanks.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
SRH-77 Diamond
whip antenna. Anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do? I'm not picking up any control signal for Port chester or any control signal for Metro-25/MTA.

Strong signal for Westchester P25.

Ryebrook and Rye still on 155.625 FM.
You're going to need a better antenna setup than a small whip. The nearest MRRS subsite to you is down in Harrison, which probably explains why you can't get a decent signal using that antenna. Forget about comparing the MRRS to the Westchester system, they are two different things entirely, and the county system has much better coverage on UHF. It also doesn't matter how close you are to Port Chester PD's station, as there is no subsite at that location.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Which version of sdr-trunk are you using? The tuner setup screen doesn’t look current. I don’t see the same options to adjust gain.

I think that's because he was using an E400 dongle.

@usmm01 I did not catch this last night but on Zone 3 site you will need 2 dongles as the spread of that site is 3.12mhz. Dongles will cover 2.4 or maybe 2.56. You can tho uses DSDPlus Fastlane if you have that.

usmm01

Premium Subscriber
I think that's because he was using an E400 dongle.

@usmm01 I did not catch this last night but on Zone 3 site you will need 2 dongles as the spread of that site is 3.12mhz. Dongles will cover 2.4 or maybe 2.56. You can tho uses DSDPlus Fastlane if you have that.
Can I use this dongle and my e400 to get the range? I downloaded dsdplus fastlane but the install makes my brain explode.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Yes but only if you can get the weak signal better on that dongle.

What's the issue with dsdplus? Usually you just unzip the contents of the zip file (update) into the DSDPlus directory.

usmm01

Premium Subscriber
Yes but only if you can get the weak signal better on that dongle.

What's the issue with dsdplus? Usually you just unzip the contents of the zip file (update) into the DSDPlus directory.
I have to try again with dsdplus fastlane. It's not like a normal program on windows

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
That just works out of a folder and does not install like a typical program does. I know Port Chester is on Zone 1 and Zone 3 sites. I have not seen them on the Metro site, which one dongle would do..

usmm01

Premium Subscriber
You're going to need a better antenna setup than a small whip. The nearest MRRS subsite to you is down in Harrison, which probably explains why you can't get a decent signal using that antenna. Forget about comparing the MRRS to the Westchester system, they are two different things entirely, and the county system has much better coverage on UHF. It also doesn't matter how close you are to Port Chester PD's station, as there is no subsite at that location.
Where in Harrison?

usmm01

Premium Subscriber
I've connected my main antenna. I went to the control freq on Zone 3. Nothing. I'm starting to think maybe I'm getting signal block by building with over 20 cellular antennas. RF readings are maxed out on Trifield meter.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Do you have SDR# by chance? If so, open that up and tune to 769.90625 and look on that spectrum

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Exact location unknown, but it's in that general area according to the crappy and vague MTA map of the sites.
If I were to guess, Somewhere downtown, within 30-45 feet of the train tracks. :rolleyes:

I've connected my main antenna. I went to the control freq on Zone 3. Nothing. I'm starting to think maybe I'm getting signal block by building with over 20 cellular antennas. RF readings are maxed out on Trifield meter.
And what antenna might that be? How is it connected? I find with this system, a good antenna and antenna placement can be vital to receiving a good decode. If possible it may be vital to point the antenna south toward the direction of Harrison, and see if it improves. There are just so many ways of troubleshooting.

In my opinion, the system in general is trash. Crappy reception, crappy infrastructure, poor audio, the option of LTE, etc etc. The police depts that were unfortunately roped into it say it sucks. Some radio techs even admit it. MTA overplayed their hand and is pushing this system wayyyyy too hard on local police depts, especially in southern Westchester. I don't know how, but the departments that are agreeing to cut over are none the wiser.

usmm01

Premium Subscriber
Exact location unknown, but it's in that general area according to the crappy and vague MTA map of the sites.
Do you have a link to that site? I think it's located north of Port Chester at Manhattanville College.

usmm01

Premium Subscriber
Figured out my settings and setup was fine. I need a directional antenna since I now know the location of the subsite.

Question 1. Any recommendations for directional antennas? 700mhz to 800mhz range.

Question 2. I'm about 7 miles from the subsite. Do I need a directional antenna booster?

Question 3. I have a senior building blasting it's cellular frequencies directly at my house. Will this interfere with trying to isolate the subsite at 7 miles away? How do I block that?

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Seems like alot of work here for $50. I consult for min $100 an hour.
That's cute.

@usmm01 I would recommend a Yagi antenna pointed in that direction. Also as a general rule of thumb, when troubleshooting, it's always hardware before software. Meaning that you should always troubleshoot your hardware before the software. So in this case, if the antenna solution doesn't work, then maybe you should figure out if its an issue with the SDR.

Last edited: